Lost Communications?

Closed Thread

Default Lost Communications?

Everytime I call for a compile and program the programmer comes on (programming window) and when the program icon is clicked a lost communications screen comes up. I click program again and everything works OK? Anyone else running into this?. Using PBP 2.6 and programming SW.Vr.4.31 (USB programmer). Again this only happens on the first call for programming. Thanks, RC

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by fowardbias View Post
    Everytime I call for a compile and program the programmer comes on (programming window) and when the program icon is clicked a lost communications screen comes up. I click program again and everything works OK? Anyone else running into this?. Using PBP 2.6 and programming SW.Vr.4.31 (USB programmer). Again this only happens on the first call for programming. Thanks, RC
    Hello Forwardbias,
    Not familiar with your programmer BUT the PICKit2 is a USB programmer, and you do not use compile and program, only the compile button and it automatically reloads the hex and programs. BTW it also loses communication if an anomaly (short) occurs on it's load side.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Default could it be ....?

Hi Forwardbias

I initially had some weird issues when programming .. can't remember exactly what they were, but the problem was because I had made a long cable to connect the PIC programming pins to a pin header to the PICKIT2. As it turns out the cable was too long and was causing some really weird issues. The solution was to to make the connections(cable) from the pin header to the PICKIT2 as short as possible, I ended up connecting the PICKIT2 directly to the pin header on the breadboard.
    Something like this:
    Original
    PIC-----------Pin Header<--------------------cable------------->PICKIT2
    Solution
    PIC -----------Pin Header<PICKIT2

Hope that helps

Dennis

Default re:on the lost comm.

I am using the MeLabs USB programmer for this instance. I have used a home made interface cable (probably a bit long and unshielded) with the PK2 using ICSP with the 16F628A and 877A, no problems.

Not all programmers have the same driver capabilities. A really quick way to sort that out as
    the problem would be to make a shorter cable. If the problem goes away, you'll know it
    was due to the longer length ICSP cable.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Default re.lost comm.

The USB programmer is being used with the 40 pin adapter (ZIF thru the 10 pin header, all factory Melabs hardware) directly to the 877A. Not using ICSP here. After programming the chip is moved to the test circuit. I am using the PK2 using ICSP thru MPLAB only. I use the MCS for the melabs projects. Still doubling clicking here? no big deal. RC

Default re:lost comm

For those that run into a lost communications drop down window once in awhile when calling for a compile and program. This started out as a 50% fail to program to a 100% fail. I had been running the and programmer through a powered and fully loaded 7 port USB hub. I pulled the USB programming cable from the hub port and went directly to a USB port on the laptop. Now no problems. I don't know if cable lengths or loading or ?, anyway problem gone.