144 LED Games Console Project - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: 144 LED Games Console Project

@SVRZIC: This is becoming a language problem of epic proportions. I've negotiated a full weeks "company" with a lovely Asian girl in China in less time and with less confusion than what's going on here. Are you saying that you want the led matrix redrawn with the little arrows added to each diode in the array? Man, I hope not... Go to Kingbright (www.kingbrightusa.com) and put in the part number TA20-11E and look at the data sheet. Maybe also try using Google Translate and writing out exactly what the problem is in your native language and then posting the translation here. It may not be perfect but maybe it'll clue us into what you want.

@funnydrummer: I'm sorry to hear you already released the board. At the very least you'll need to tack solder in the decoupling caps across the VDD/VSS pins on the part/socket. Also as I said, you have no provision for doing ICSP. Those pins don't take kindly to having "stuff" hanging off them while programming. You don't need R1 through R8 at all so when you build it put in wire jumpers instead of resistors. Kludge in a dual SPST switch soldered across the pads in place of the resistor and hot glue the mess to keep it solid so you don't tear pads off the board. You can still get these "Test Clips" made by 3M and Pomona. Mouser has one for $45.96 (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2ft7rMmGLEo%3d). You can again kludge the wire ICSP wire from your programmer to th eclip and then clip onto the part in the socket to flash the part. OF course, you have to figure out how well your programmer will work with a length of cable between the programmer and the DUT. I know from experience that the Melabs U2 is very forgiving of cable length (read "designed well") and I've managed some wires solder tacked in place to update a part in the field. The PicKit3 gives all kinds of errors one minute and works for days the next if you happen to bump the programmer cable (your mileage may vary). And if you don't put a series diode and resistor on the Vpp line you'll be stuffing something like +13V back onto the supply line. Hmmmm... Not so good.

Your statement "I thought it would be nice to post the source anyway, just for the people who prefer C over basic" gave me quite the good chuckle. Yup, ALL KINDS of people who prefer C hanging around the Pic Basic (not just basic mind you, but Melabs Pic Basic) forum. And the PBP guys love answering C code questions, don't we fella's? Perhaps its something more like the PBP crowd is a bit more helpful than those on other boards and try and actually give people a hand with getting their stuff going. That is until the end when after offering all kinds of help the finally admit to using some kind of C or "other" Basic program and admit they can't get any help on the other boards so they come here.

AS for me, I'm out. This thread has me weary (again) and I just had to put my dog down after 16 years so Right Now I couldn't care less if your project works or not. Do yourself some real help; look around the board at how people have designed their circuits and watch for commonalities. Get one of any number of "Programming PICS" books and do some reading. Read the damn datasheet for a programmable part and make sure you have some way to program it and if it has more than one VDD pin take it as gospel they all get a cap tied to them right at the pin and solidly to ground, not across the PCB as you've demonstrated. 20MHz huh? Good luck with that...

Ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by mtripoli View Post
    @SVRZIC: This is becoming a language problem of epic proportions. I've negotiated a full weeks "company" with a lovely Asian girl in China in less time and with less confusion than what's going on here. Are you saying that you want the led matrix redrawn with the little arrows added to each diode in the array? Man, I hope not... Go to Kingbright (www.kingbrightusa.com) and put in the part number TA20-11E and look at the data sheet. Maybe also try using Google Translate and writing out exactly what the problem is in your native language and then posting the translation here. It may not be perfect but maybe it'll clue us into what you want.

@funnydrummer: I'm sorry to hear you already released the board. At the very least you'll need to tack solder in the decoupling caps across the VDD/VSS pins on the part/socket. Also as I said, you have no provision for doing ICSP. Those pins don't take kindly to having "stuff" hanging off them while programming. You don't need R1 through R8 at all so when you build it put in wire jumpers instead of resistors. Kludge in a dual SPST switch soldered across the pads in place of the resistor and hot glue the mess to keep it solid so you don't tear pads off the board. You can still get these "Test Clips" made by 3M and Pomona. Mouser has one for $45.96 (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2ft7rMmGLEo%3d). You can again kludge the wire ICSP wire from your programmer to th eclip and then clip onto the part in the socket to flash the part. OF course, you have to figure out how well your programmer will work with a length of cable between the programmer and the DUT. I know from experience that the Melabs U2 is very forgiving of cable length (read "designed well") and I've managed some wires solder tacked in place to update a part in the field. The PicKit3 gives all kinds of errors one minute and works for days the next if you happen to bump the programmer cable (your mileage may vary). And if you don't put a series diode and resistor on the Vpp line you'll be stuffing something like +13V back onto the supply line. Hmmmm... Not so good.

Your statement "I thought it would be nice to post the source anyway, just for the people who prefer C over basic" gave me quite the good chuckle. Yup, ALL KINDS of people who prefer C hanging around the Pic Basic (not just basic mind you, but Melabs Pic Basic) forum. And the PBP guys love answering C code questions, don't we fella's? Perhaps its something more like the PBP crowd is a bit more helpful than those on other boards and try and actually give people a hand with getting their stuff going. That is until the end when after offering all kinds of help the finally admit to using some kind of C or "other" Basic program and admit they can't get any help on the other boards so they come here.

AS for me, I'm out. This thread has me weary (again) and I just had to put my dog down after 16 years so Right Now I couldn't care less if your project works or not. Do yourself some real help; look around the board at how people have designed their circuits and watch for commonalities. Get one of any number of "Programming PICS" books and do some reading. Read the damn datasheet for a programmable part and make sure you have some way to program it and if it has more than one VDD pin take it as gospel they all get a cap tied to them right at the pin and solidly to ground, not across the PCB as you've demonstrated. 20MHz huh? Good luck with that...

Ciao.
    haha
    sorry about my english :S
    I don't want to put on led display, I have LED diodes, and i'll put it on, like this:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2762/4376492745_d3dee08c33_o.png
    i wan't make my pcb like this, do you understand me now?

Default Re: Shematic project complete

Hi there.
    I started a few months with programming pic's
    I now made the 144 led display game and message scroller.
    But i now wanted to re-program the chip to only a message scroller for christmas.
    The picbasic code is to me to long and complex.
    How can i put in a different text, for instance "marry christmas"

greatings Harrie

In the last version, the text message is stored plainly in the on-chip eeprom area of the 16F877.

Hai
    Yes i found the version 3. And it says that data can be put in internal memory.
    But with proton ide or mplab i can not compile the .bas-file. There are many many errors.
    I tried to rewrite but i am not experience enough.
    So i only want a simply massage scroller working with the 144 led display.
    The most simply one is enough.
    Greatings Harrie

Problem found... This forum is for PicBasic not Proton.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Don't have to compile it, there's a hex file to use. Just change the values in the on-chip eeprom area with your pic programming software. Also you can use a serial terminal program to send the message to the unit. You would need Picbasic to change any way the program works, but not the message.

Hai
    i tried to use the serial posability. But i can not change anyting.
    I use the max232. With this i can read and write to a 16f628a, s the com and max232 are working.
    I first tried the original rx and tx ports but later i saw i had to use port e.1.
    No result.
    i push porta.1 when startup. The screen is blank.
    sending text
    restart
    no result.
    What dont i see??

greatings Harrie

To Harrie & anyone else who has the hardware working,
    but cannot, for whatever reason, change the message stored in on-chip EEPROM.
    Here's something you can try:

Download ICprog Windows pic programming software for free from here:
    http://www.ic-prog.com/download.html

Start the exe program, and select the 16F877A pic from the drop down menu of supported pic chips.
    Then you should be able to open the pic HEX file, and it should look like this:

Bear in mind that if you manually edit the message this way,
    you also have to manually edit the message length.

note the "non message" locations at the bottom end of on-chip EEPROM
    Code:
    DATA @$FC,12                            'text message length
    DATA @$FD,49 : DATA @$FE,125 : DATA @$FF,0            'set initial high scores for games

Now you can edit the individual message locations, update the message length, cheat on hi scores if u have to, and save the hex file!
    Now open the hex file in your own pic programming software and write to the 16F877A.

Cheers, Art.

Just found this great project and was really excited!

I have just finished drawing a PCB for it, with two possible versions: one with 5mm leds and the other with large 10mm leds. It's all using surface mount components, but they are not that hard to solder (in fact it is easier!).

The matrix is now driven my a pair of PNP/NPN or P/N channel mosfet in order to boost the brightness. Since the multiplexing routine slice the display in 18 increments, it is possible to boost the brightness by feeding more intensity in the LEDs this way. For simplified rooting of the board, I also changed the pin allocations for the PIC. The program will need to be modified a bit to account for that, and for the inverted signal needed to drive the base of the PNP transistors.

The board has an integrated regulator (7805) and also an optional DB9 for serial communication with voltage converter (using a simple transistor, not a full MAX232). It also feature an ICSP connector, so it can be easily reprogrammed for other projects.

Need to check a few things, but I'll be happy to release the gerber files here. Also I'm planning to make an order from my PCB manufacturer, so if anyone is interested I can sell spares for a reasonable price.

Nice
    Would love one if I had any confidence in soldering smd parts :O

I'll send you some, here's a video I made for soldering SMD's:

http://www.mactronique.com/showArtMn...11&zone=movies

Lol, nice, but electronics is not so much a love of mine
    I only did what I had to do to write software for it

One day I'll write an interrupt driven clock for it using DT's elapsed timer.
    Didn't quite have it figured out at the time.

A clock would be nice, should not be too hard to write as I've seen some implementation somewhere on this forum. Darrel's routines for interrupt are very simple to use, so you could use a timer interrupt to derive your 1Hz signal. I have built some clocks too, but they all use I2C RTCs (so that they can keep time while power is off). Newer PICs have built in RTCs too, so that may be something to look for... but I think they require an external 32.768kHz xtal for Timer1 which is not planned on the PCB layout.

Keep in touch! I'll get back in the forum when I get the PCBs manufactured and your code modified. I'm a bit the other way around, software is not my thing... I'm actually quite impressed by the routine you wrote for this project!

I did not read the whole thread, but have you seen these yet?
    http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=1095

32x16 Red/Green LED's gives you three colors.
    Very easy SPI interface. I have 3 of these linked together using just 3 SPI control signals and 3 Chip Select Signals.
    I have seen other link upto 8 of these boards together. Here are a couple of links.

There are many LED drivers IC around. The nice thing here is to use only off the shelf, easy to find transistors to drive the matrix.

I have a large 16x16 chainable LED matrix in project using PWM LED drivers from TI, also interfaced via SPI.

Art, I'd need some help with the button functions to label them correctly on the silkscreen:

What is the power on mode for each wen you press UP/LEFT/DOWN/RIGHT and when the board is horizontal (like in my previous post)? it can be confusing as you have to hold the board either horizontally or vertically depending of the selected game

Yes, the joypad orientation does change with the screen orientation for Tetris.
    Assuming it's held horizontal for Snake,
    Power on while holding:
    Up = Tetris
    Down = Snake
    Left = Interactive Invader Sprite Demo
    Right = Serial massage programming mode
    Left + Right = Non Interactive Pong Demo
    Nothing = Massage display Mode.

Ok, there's a bit more modes than I thougt. I'll leave the board with generic silk screen (SW1-SW4), that way other functions can be implemented without having the wrong function written below the buttons. I've sent the gerber for quote and manufacturing, should have them back in 2-3 weeks

Got it back from fabrication. I spotted a small mistake on my behalf, a missing via hole... nothing dramatic.

Next come the assembly and modification of the source code to remap I/Os and invert the signal sent to the row drivers.

Default Re: Ahhh... no

can I request or suggest Sir Art?
    the 144 led game console was spectacular ^_^

im not completely good in pic basic that's why I will be needed your help or anyone out there just to improve if possible the message scroller...

i want to make it more portable.. as ive scanned your program it is very mind bugling
    how about we will make the RE.1 a start/ok button???
    is it possible to make a message if we use:
    UP = (Capital) A to Z and 0 to 9 plus special charater
    Down = (reverse) special character plus 9 to 0 and Z to A
    if we will press left/right = the letters will be small letters... then press start to enter the next character

Default Re: Ahhh... no

Hi, Coincidence that I checked this forum tonight...
    I haven't checked, but if I remember correctly, there are no spare IO pins left on the pic.
    This is probably the most readable code I've ever written as it was intended for "Human consumption"
    It's free for anyone to do what they want with, but my time is certainly not.
    If I were to revisit this project now, it would def be a priority to include a real time clock as long as it's
    interrupt code doesn't visibly affect the display.

Nice work aberco
    What are the code modifications you want to do? (out of interest)...

One simple change that would also require hardware modification:
    I should have addressed leds across the opposite axis to make all leds brighter for free.
    Rather than addressing 18 rows and only lighting 8 leds at a time,
    I could have addressed 8 rows, and lit 18 leds at a time.
    Simple change, but would require a new board and software change.

bushprogrammer (at) gmail dot com

Cool Project

ESP: Hola amigo... felicidades!!! tu proyecto es muy bueno!
    Voy a emplear parte de tu proyecto para ver si se puede crear un osciloscopio a led. Hay muchas aplicaciones en los vehiculos que requiero emplear una osciloscopio y me parece que lo mas sencillo seria esto, ya que los osciloscopios que trabajan con la placa de sonido de las notebook son bastantes incomodos para trabajar.
    Gracias por tu aporte

ING: Hello friend ... congratulations! your project is very good!
    I will use part of your project to see if you can create an oscilloscope to led. There are many applications that I require vehicles use an oscilloscope and I think it would be as simple as oscilloscopes working with the sound card of the notebook are quite uncomfortable to work.
    Thanks for your input

Martin Torres (From Patagonia)

michelle15 Guest

Hello sir, can i ask, what was the program you used in your tetris project? and also the schematic. Thanks Sir art. God Bless

To Art: Thanks for posting this project and providing the code for others to use on their own projects. It has been a tremendous help.

I'm trying to avoid asking for a handout however I've run into several issues trying to build this this gaming console with a few modifications. I am new to programming PICs and other projects are likely easier to start with, however, I think with a few suggestions from others with more experience I'm hoping to make this work.

Instead of using a 16F877 I opted for the newer 16F887. I'm also using two of the 8x8 LED matrices from SparkFun for a total of 128 LEDs (8x16) as opposed to the 144 LED (8x18) display that the code was written for.

I'm hoping to use the internal 4Mhz clock of the 16F887 to allow more I/O pins for other devices. This can be changed in the code relatively easy but I'm unsure whether using a 4Mhz clock will cause unforeseen issues since console was designed around a 20Mhz oscillator.

I'm also trying to figure out how the rows and columns are defined in the code. I need to make changes since I have two less rows of LEDs (if playing tetris, vertical display) but I'm having issues deciphering how the rows and columns are defined.

If anyone has any suggestions I could use push in the right direction. Also, please post if you notice any other issues or changes that will be necessary when using the 16F887 in place of the 16F877.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I don't check in often unless I'm writing for pics at the time...

I'm going to get ports wrong if I guess here, given that it's years old now,
    so just to describe how the rows and columns are defined... the display is
    8 LEDs high to fit one column in a byte, so since it's a mono colour display,
    the whole display buffer is 18 bytes
    I use in line assembler (if I remember correctly), or an asm/PBP combination
    to address the bits of each byte in each column.
    C0 - C17 are the bytes for each column, they are being strobed in the draw screen routine.

hello, art
    well I am new to this and would like to know how to connect the pulsating since I have not clear yet, you could help me. And this other your work is great.

Sir@Art
    Thanks for making an awesome project like this.

I am trying to make a PCB of it and hope to make it very soon.
    I have some random question,

1#which version of PIC BASIC PRO did you used
    2#what was the version of BASIC language that you used to program

Thanks in advance

Hi,
    I built the console and it works well.
    Unfortunately, I am the exact opposite of Art
    I do love electronics, but on the software side i only do what i have to do to get it running.

Tetris works perfectly, but at Snake the keys are swapped by -90 °.
    I hold the console horizontally and have soldered the buttons directly to the board.
    So if I want to go right, I have to press the top button.
    If I want to go left, I have to press the lower button.
    If I want up, I have to press the left button.
    If I want down, I have to press the right button.

For clarification, here is a picture of what the buttons are doing.

Hopefully someone can change the v3 for me so that it fits.
    I would be very grateful!

Snake is plyed in landscape orientation, you're supposed to turn the whole
    circuit board sideways, in the same orientation that the message is scrolled,
    and then the high score will appear the right way too.

Hi Guys,
    I am still getting emails from people making this project.
    Most have it working, and just ask questions about programming new messages.

Some emails are form people who put the whole thing together with transistors facing the wrong way,
    reflecting an error in my original schematic diagram.

Does anyone have any idea where this original schematic might be sourced?
    The last time I tried to find out, but didn't hear back from the guy making the project.

bushprogrammer at google's mail domain.
    Cheers, Art.

Hi

People are still making this, and talking to the last person to make it on a photo PCB,
    an error has been found int he schematic (might not apply to PCBs made in CAD).

The schematics in the package show the wring pic pin for one of the buttons.
    It’s actually the pin that drives the lone LED, so should have been found by anyone proficient actually making it.

With the error, the display will constantly show “Tetris”, and stay there no matter what buttons are pressed.
    It’s waiting for the button that was held at power to start Tetris, to be released (and that never happens).

I want my money back.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!