PBP projects for R/C models - Page 13

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Not good....

I think my PICkit2 is correctly connected. I may have typo'd J5 and/or J6. Here's what I have been doing.

Name:  BITWhacker_PICkit2_72.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  30.8 KBName:  BITWhacker_PICkit2_2_72.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  29.2 KB

If I attach the USB and the PICkit2 I get the blue POWER light. My Hyperteminal does seem to see the PIC. If I eliminate ASCII echo and I type 'hello' I do get 'hello' on my Hyperterminal GUI. That is GOOD. Trouble is I disconnected the PICkit2 and reconnected and HELLO no longer appears.

I did not connect PICkit2 pin6. That is used as an input to the "LOGIC TOOL".. Everything seems normal except for that error message (about maximum). It seems to download the .hex correctly. But nothing happens. ie the EEPROM embedded code does not to do anything visible. If there were a LED blinking example I could try debugging. The HELLO WORLD would not embed.
    Last edited by Kenjones1935; - 16th October 2010 at 01:47.

Default UART tool does work..

Note, below. I get what I type. I think 'echo' is turned off. I think I am connected. Still no StickOS, however.

Name:  GITWhacker_UARTtool.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  15.7 KB

Ken

Default 2000 words is probably enough

Quote Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
    Take a look at this mikroBasic PRO for PIC
    You can download a fully functional FREE demo version (and all relevant documentation) of the software. The only limitation is that the compiler output is limited to 2,000 words of generated PIC code - you code will probably fit within this limitation so any number of students can use the compiler legally for free. Over 415 PIC microcontrollers are supported (PIC12, PIC16 and PIC18). There is a also a C compiler available which I highly recommend over BASIC to get your students started on the right track from the get go.

rmteo, you have a good point. I have not yet used 2000 words in my PBP programs with the wall racing robocars. My guess is that using photo cells will be no more expensive code-wise.

Thank you for the link.

Ken

Default NUTS! Wrong again

UART's echo was ON.

Ken

You may be interested in this.

Ken, I am sorry. I gave you the wrong firmware file. That one was meant for a UBW32 with HID Bootloader which apparently came with the UBw32 before we wrote over it.

Soooooooooo

Here is what I can only believe to be the right file. If this does not work, we will have to ask for higher help.

I wish I had the same hardware here, and would not have led you astray.

Here is the file:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    http://www.scalerobotics.com

Default I have a second PICWhacker

In the world of Hi-Tech I always purchase a second one - just in case.

If I were to switch, what do you suggest be my actions?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjones1935 View Post
    In the world of Hi-Tech I always purchase a second one - just in case.

If I were to switch, what do you suggest be my actions?

Ken
    That's right, I sort of forgot about the second one...
    But it does not sound like you tried the firmware I just sent you. As one last try, I would have you stick with the one were working on, and try the firmware I just sent in the previous reply.

But your right, if that does not work:
    Switch to the untouched one. Download the microchip driver here: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/D...C/UBW32inf.zip and install it into your PC. And only plug the usb cable into it. See if you get a "new hardware detected" message.

Run the HID Bootloader executable from microchip http://www.cpustick.com/downloads/HIDBootLoader.exe , and see if it can find your UBW32. Then select the first firmware I sent you. This one: StickOS for Microchip PIC32MX4-F512L UBW32 Board Bootloader (v1.80) (.HEX, UBW32 HID bootloader image) with the long name. Let the microchip bootloader try to load the firmware into the untouched one (not even using your PicKit2).

Let me know how it goes.

Default One questioin

I have four USB ports on the back and two on the front of my PC. How do I know into which physical port to plug the cable?

How does HyperTerminal know?

Ken

I have four USB ports on the back and two on the front of my PC. How do I know into which physical port to plug the cable?

How does HyperTerminal know?

Ken
    I have had equipment not get recognized when it was plugged into the front, so I would try the back.

Then, is any new hardware getting recognized when you plug it in? This is kind of a must have.

What step are we on. New device, or old device?

The only way that hyperterminal will know is if you tell it what com port it is. And the only way You will know, is if you look in Device Manager, and see a new serial port pop up when you plug the UBW32 in. And, the only way this will happen, is if the UBW32 gets recognized as new hardware. Which will only happen if we have the right firmware loaded .... etc... etc...

But I think we are getting closer.
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 16th October 2010 at 19:38.

Default Thanks, remteo, for the video link

Quote Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
    You may be interested in this.

This vehicle reminds me of the original 'turtle' for which LOGO, the language, was developed.

I am on a slightly different tact. I am trying for a robocar that looks like and is driven like a modern automobile. The model level 1/10 sized radio control vehicles fit that description. They have accurate miniaturization and good speed (up to 30 actural mph). This may connect with middle school students.

Ken

Default The new .inf seems on different

Once, as I said in my post, Hyperterminal worked. Only once!
    I wrote:

If I eliminate ASCII echo and I type 'hello' I do get 'hello' on my Hyperterminal GUI. That is GOOD. Trouble is I disconnected the PICkit2 and reconnected and HELLO no longer appears.
    ???????Ken

Ok, but after you said that, you said:

Nutts. Wrong again!

UART's echo was ON.
    And, you should get a "??HELLO?? command not recognized" or something to that effect back. So I would say nutts, it was the echo.

But I still don't have enough information to advise you any further. I don't know what step you are on.

Yes, the new .inf is different. It is for using with the firmware originally in your UBW32. (Which I believe is only in your untouched device). It is for step 2, if you are on step 2.

Walter
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 16th October 2010 at 19:56.

Default I installeld the .inf file

Here's what Device Manager says:

Name:  BITWhacker_Device_Mng.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  68.8 KB

Default More details in, less goose chases out.

Thanks Ken,

That's a start! The more information you give me, the easier this will be to trouble shoot. If I have to guess what you are doing, this is going to be pretty slow and painfull. But, here it goes... (I suppose, in a way I deserve it for leading you astray for a day or two).

There are two possibilities of where you are at, if I were to guess.

1. You have loaded the firmware from post# 486 into the used UBW32 using your Pickit2, and have now plugged it in with the usb cord to the back of your computer. And now you are looking in the device manager. I am wondering what, if anything occured in the lower right hand part of your computer screen. Did it say new hardware found? Did it try to find a driver, or did it do nothing?

2. You already tried #1 and have gone to step 2: You switched to the untouched UBW32. You downloaded the microchip driver here and have installed it (like you have mentioned) http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/D...C/UBW32inf.zip ,and have plugged the usb cable into it. You have checked to see if you get a "new hardware detected" message.

You have run the HID Bootloader executable from microchip http://www.cpustick.com/downloads/HIDBootLoader.exe , and you have seen if it can find your UBW32. Then you selected the first firmware I sent you in post#463. This one: StickOS for Microchip PIC32MX4-F512L UBW32 Board Bootloader (v1.80) (.HEX, UBW32 HID bootloader image) with the long name. Let the microchip bootloader try to load the firmware into the untouched one (not even using your PicKit2).

And now you are looking into your Device Manager, but see no new serial port.

Default Confusion reigns --- still

Once, two evenings ago I sat down, turned on Hyperterminal and got 'hheelllloo' when I typed 'hello'. I said to myself that's a good connection. It has echo.

I then went to the UART TOOL in PICkit2. It did 'hello' when I typed 'hello'. I thought that was good so I took a snapshot and sent it to the forum. Then I realized that UART has the same 'echo' or 'no echo' config as Hyperterminal. It was set to 'echo'. Therefore it was not connected at all.

Having done that I went back to Hyperterminal and got nothing again and again and even today. Hmmmm But it did work once.

In no case did I get a response from the code in the chip.
    Which leads me to another question.

When PICKIT2 is told to READ it displays what is labeled "Program Memory" into which I thought the original StickOS had been loaded. Am I wrong? When I first hooked up my new PICWhacker to the PICkit2 I did a READ. All it showed was FF's throughout. I just read the spec. pages on memory organization. Page 93 mentions "Separate Boot Flash memory for protected code." Is that visible from a READ? I do not understand the virtual and physical memory charts on Page 94. Things have changed since the Digital Equipment Corp made the PDP-11.

Ken

I wouldn't worry too much about the "hheelloo". If it was not giving your text errors, it was not communicating with StickOS.

Here is the code that I believe is in the newer UBW32. http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/FW/...UBW32_v1_3.hex

Although, I see a possibly newer and different one here: http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/FW/UBW32_v1_3/D32.hex

I have not checked the configs in the hex, but I would have assumed they did not hide the code. I have some doubts is your Pickit2 is really communicating with the UB32.
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 16th October 2010 at 21:19.

Default My second PICWhacker is different

scalerobotics,
    I pulled out the new PICWhacker and plugged in the USB connector. My PC immediately sang its song and gave me the NEW HARDWARE DETECTED GUI.

Under Other Devices it says "CDC RS232 Emulation Demo". Then it asks for a driver. I have installed the .inf file. What is my next step? Also please note that the USB port powers the blue LED on this Whacker. On the first board only the PICkit2 powered that LED.
    Ken

Whoo hoo!

Now, (without using the Pickit2)

You have run the HID Bootloader executable from microchip http://www.cpustick.com/downloads/HIDBootLoader.exe , and see if it can find your UBW32. If the Microchip Bootloader sees your hardware, select the first firmware I sent you in post#463. This one: StickOS for Microchip PIC32MX4-F512L UBW32 Board Bootloader (v1.80) (.HEX, UBW32 HID bootloader image) with the long name, and try to load it into the device, using the bootloader.

If it loads, you may have to unplug it, then plug it back in, to see if it takes. Then watch your device manager, to see if you get any new serial ports.

Default The Bootloader does not see the device.

USB HID Bootloader says:

"Device not detected. Verify device is in bootloader mode".

Also StickOS BASIC Users Guide page 5 tells me to, " install the FTDI Serial Port transport drivers." Any idea what this is about?

Ken

Thanks, you reminded me. To get it in HID Bootloader mode, you have to press one of the buttons while you plug the USB cable in (the program button I think). Once it is powered, I think you can let go of the button. Then see if HID Bootloader recognizes it.

The FTDI is for versions prior to 1.80 (once you get the Hex file into it). But since we are trying to use 1.80:
    "CPUStick.inf file needed for Windows (v1.80) -- just save to a file, right-click, and select Install, and you're ready to go!"

Smile WOW! What a difference!!!!

Push down PROGRAM button while inserting USB cable and==>

HID Bootloader says, "Device attached"
    red, blue and yellow LED's illuminate.
    white and green LED's alternately flash.

We have PROGRESS on a beautiful Sunday fall morning (the colors are peaking this weekend. there is snow on the tops of the Vermont hills) in sunny scenic Fitchburg, Massachusetts.

Ken

Default One step backwards - maybe

Below: my PC listed CDC RS232 Emulation Demo before. Now it does not.
    scalerobotics,
    I pulled out the new PICWhacker and plugged in the USB connector. My PC immediately sang its song and gave me the NEW HARDWARE DETECTED GUI.

Under Other Devices it says "CDC RS232 Emulation Demo". Then it asks for a driver. I have installed the .inf file. What is my next step? Also please note that the USB port powers the blue LED on this Whacker. On the first board only the PICkit2 powered that LED.
    Ken
    LED's flash. HID Bootloader seems to work. Hyperterminal does not work. A GUI told me to restart the PC. That changed nothing. What happened to the "new device"?

Ken

Default Got it!!

Pushed the RESET button on the BITWhacker. This produced a different pattern of illuminated LEDs. Yellow one flashing. Blue one steadily ON. The PC claimed it saw a new device. I found the StickOS file and called the new port C4.

My hyperterminal added C4 to my choices. I typed the Enter Key. LO and BEHOLD text!!

Now what - I am not sure. I need to give serious thought to my teach the teacher Professional Development seminar.

Walter Scalerobotic Thank you!!

Ken

Default Yay!

Now you can start to write some simple programs. They show some examples in the manual. You will need to look through the Quick Reference guide here: http://www.cpustick.com/downloads/quickref.v1.80.pdf for all the commands.

Some of the interesting ones are:
    help
    help pins

And you can set the heartbeat LED (if it is not blinking already) by:
    pins heartbeat RA1
    (You will have to look on the board to see which port goes to the LED you want to set as heartbeat, RA1 is PORTA.1 and works on my Explorer 16 board).

This prints out an analog result to the terminal:
    Code:
    10 dim pot as pin an5 for analog input 
    20 print "potentiometer= ",pot
    You would probably be interested in the Servo example on page 30:
    Code:
    > new
    > servo
    > 10 dim servo as pin dtin1 for servo output
    > 20 for servo = 50 to 250 step 10
    > 30 sleep 50 ms
    > 40 next
    > run
    Note that you will have to change the servo out pin to one your hardware has. To see the available ones, use the "help pins" command. It will show you at the bottom which pins are available for the servo command. In my case, I changed dtin1 to rd1.

Default Is there a way to capture this forum thread?

scalerobotics,

My focus is changing from teaching STEM to middle school kids to teaching the teachers about teaching STEM to public school kids.

Documenting our conversations over the last months might give me some insight on the process. Is there a way to capture this thread as a .doc or a .pdf file?

Ken

Documenting our conversations over the last months might give me some insight on the process. Is there a way to capture this thread as a .doc or a .pdf file?
    Once a routine is made, a lot of it can be forgotten (thankfully). I don't see any good ways to do this, but here is one way. It will only get you 40 posts at a time though. I have looked for a way to change this setting, and it looks like it is not settable, at least by me.

If you goto thread tools, and click on show printable version, you get something of a better format. Then you can go to file, and save as, and save it as html. While you are on this printable version, you can then select the next page of posts, and select save as, then call it page2 or something. This isn't ideal, but it's the best I can come up with.

Default Saving the thread w as just a thought, but

The cost of the PICWhacker ~$40 is too much. Its appeal is that all the PICspins are available through 0.1" centered holes. Is there any PC product of which you know that has this PDIP configuration with only the PIC and a USB connector aboard? You guys had a forum "off topic" that sounded like you all built some yourselves. Did this work? I know that I could not solder those tiny leads on the PICWhacker board.

Ken

You have the $2 option by going with a 40DIP PIC16F887/4 and mikroC.

Default I have been using the 16F887

My big hesitation with switching to MicroC is configuring a USB connection. I have been very successful with the PICkit2 package.
    This experience with the USB port using Hyperterminal has taxed my understanding of the system.
    I hesitate to change. I assume I can get a USB compatible (0.1" centers) connector at our local YouDoIt Electronics store. I'll do more reading from the mikroBasic WEB page.

Thanks, Ken

Default I know why my first board did not work

I just now found that very tiny Power Source switch. On the first board is was in the wrong position to get power off the USB.

Now it tells me!

My big hesitation with switching to MicroC is configuring a USB connection.
    Why would you need a USB connection? Just program the PIC with the PicKit2 (or other compatible programmer) using ICSP - mikroC or mikroBASIC doesn't care.

Default PDFs

Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default How to reconnect with BITWhacker's USB

Trial and error tells me that the only way to reconnect hyperterminal via C4 (the USB) to my BITWhacker after physically dislocating the connector is to be holding down the RESET switch while inserting the USB connector.

Anybody see that written down anywhere?

Thank you both for the leads to documentation of this thread.

Ken

Trial and error tells me that the only way to reconnect hyperterminal via C4 (the USB) to my BITWhacker after physically dislocating the connector is to be holding down the RESET switch while inserting the USB connector.

Anybody see that written down anywhere?
    It is sort of documented.....

I think this is an effect of having the bootloader resident on the device. You "should" be able to either have the bootloader resident, with StickOS in the program memory (sort of underneath it). Or, to get rid of the "feature" you found, program over the whole thing, using your Pickit2 with the StickOS with the shorter name (not meant for bootloaders). Though I am a little hesitant to have you do that to the working device. Better off trying this on the non-working one, and see if we can revive it.

I think, then you would have it immediately recognized when you plug it in to a port, without pressing a button.

When I say sort of documented, it is at the bottom of the UBW32 page here: http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/doc...mentation.html Does this explain what you have found?

In my search, I also found a page that has the pinouts for the device in a readable format. http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/doc...easeNotes.html

As for your question about the other off topic thread: We had a member graciously volunteer to build some StickOS devices. But it is a fair amount of work, and somewhere between the commitments of family, work, (and I think even moving), it has been understandably delayed a bit. So we are all living vicariously through you right now. (Although I do have a piece of hardware that I can get a command line interface with StickOS, just not via USB.) There is also a StickOS simulator for PC's lcated here: http://www.cpustick.com/downloads/StickOS.v1.80.exe But the simulator would have different pin names than your hardware.

And as for cheaper, the Eagle board files for the UBW32 are available at Sparkfun's site. Although you sound a bit skeptical (as was I) about soldering a device like that, most others seem to find it very doable, to hand solder these devices (and the rest use toaster ovens). Doing this, with a fair number of boards, would make it much cheaper than the $40 a pop. For soldering tips, check's out nicmus's response here, and Dave's post just after it: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...2872#post92872
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 18th October 2010 at 16:56.

Smile MikroBasic

Thank you rmteo,

I enticed MikroBasic Pro to compile its 1st_project 'blink the LED's' Basic code . I then got PICKit2 to download the resulting .hex file. The only mistake was that MikroBasic assumed the LEDs are attached to PORTC. On the PICKit2 card they are attached to PORTD. After that minor adjustment. It works.

KEn!

Default Maybe things are getting clearer

Way back I thought a good middle school project would be
    to race by R/Cing the car out a door, wait for it to find its way autonomously back through another door (This second door would have a naked 150W bulb at its threshold.), then repeat the cycle some number of times. The R/C - autonomous toggle to be controlled by powering ON and OFF the radio transmitter. If the transmitter's power is ON, the PIC detects activity from the radio receiver and switches control over to the original system.

Advantages of that idea are:
    1. No need for proportional controls. A toy level car will do.
    2. Photo cells are much less expensive than sonar sensors.

A problem is that the kit requires six DPDT coil driven relays: two for PIC generated steering, two for PIC generated wheel control and two for toggling between PIC control and R/C control. These are inexpensive, but add complexity in kit construction.

This car could also do the swarm-after-teacher who's carrying a naked bright light game. I've been changing my focus from teach-the-student to teach-the-teacher. What do you think? The RC system itself is full of "How things work" answers.

Your thoughts?

Ken

Default Lastly but not leastly

Wednesday morning I'm going out of town for at least a week. I will not make any robocar progress.

I have one BITWhacker that operates per the documentation. It establishes connection thru the USB and behaves by flashing its lights per "http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/doc...mentation.html".

The other one has HIDbootloader successfully loaded via PICkit2. It will not make USB contact, it does turn on its LED's, but does not flash them. This too seems to match the above LINK's statements. I have no idea how to get this one back to standard.

My next step is to build that toy level car with the trio of photo cells. Will I need pots to tune each one? I hope not.

Ken

POTs would be best to fine tune things but if you are in a very dimly lite room and have a very bright light then you might be able to preset the sensors with fixed resistors.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default It is clear....

My problem loading the BITWhacker PIC32 from PICkit 2 is that it is not capable of doing so. MPLAB tells me that I need PM3, REAL ICE, ICD2, ICD3, or PICkit3.

MichaelS referring to PICkit3 said in a September 2010 entry:
    # The application supports all devices supported in MPLAB 8.56 except PIC32. This is not to say it has been tested on all devices. If you have any problems programming any devices, please leave a note here or send me a PM.
    # PIC32 support is coming very soon. I have stable support working in my current development builds.
    See you in a week or so.
    Ken