Adding TCP/IP Ethernet to PIC - how? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here are some additional links.

Charles Linquis PIC code to get network time...http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/show...k+time+charles

Tibbo's example code to get network time...http://basic.tibbo.com/resources/web/internet_time.html

You should be able to compare and contrast those and learn a bit that you can then transfer to either the ConnectOne or WIZNet devices.

Here's Tibbo's other examples...http://basic.tibbo.com/resources.html

Once you grasp that Tibbo uses an object oriented Basic dialect, it should be fairly simple to convert the code to a PIC.

I would share my PIC code but the truth is I have none. I use mostly 8-pin PICs for small special single-purpose applications. Most then link serially to a ZBasic chip which I find much easier to work with for complex problems. I'm an old geezer (69) with major health issues who has neither time nor desire to become an ASM wizard like Darrel Taylor (much, much younger) or Bruce Reynolds (also much younger) so I prefer a chip that has two hardware serial ports plus 4 software serial ports all of which are buffered, full-duplex and operate in the background as well as numerous other features of similar power (that would require Darrel or Bruce to duplicate with PBP) for major projects. Plus, my ZBasic code is proprietary.
    Last edited by dhouston; - 11th November 2010 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    A couple of things about the ConnectOne.
    The pins spacings are metric
    if you plan to use it as a web page server it only does port 80.

Other than that it is a good part. I have six in use currently.
    The WIZ110SR is easier to interface as it has a DB9 on one end and an RJ45 on the other and comes with a power supply. But, it requires more coding from the PIC side. I'll leave it to those interested to study the docs to understand the differences.

If you have an existing serial device you want to connect to the network, the WIZ110SR is the best choice. If you are designing a PCB and planning some quantity, ConnectOne (or Tibbo) is the way to go. Tibbo requires a lot of coding but they give you examples and 320K of flash to use with it. Your PIC app would probably be the simplest as the Tibbo could handle all of the heavy lifting network-wise.

One additional point in favor of Tibbo. They have a GA1000 WiFi card (802.11b/g) that connects to the EM500 via SPI. At this point they haven't released EM500 firmware to support it but they indicate it is in their plans. Some of their other modules already support it. I think it's a little cleaner than the way ConnectOne does it - mackrackit may convince you otherwise.
    Last edited by dhouston; - 11th November 2010 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston View Post
    mackrackit may convince you otherwise.
    Nope, I am not stuck on one brand, from what you tell about Tibbo I will most likely try one for the next project.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Smile

Nope, I am not stuck on one brand, from what you tell about Tibbo I will most likely try one for the next project.
    Buy the evaluation board for your first one. Otherwise, you'll need to design a pcb due to the 2x11x0.050inch pinout.

If you refer back to my first mention of them in this thread, you might wonder what changed my mind.

I had 100 boards (designed to use their EM202) partially assembled and placed an order (with Crownhill) for 25 of the Tibbo modules only to learn, after a couple of weeks, that Tibbo would not allow dealers to sell them to the USA. I had earlier bough a handful from another dealer that I had used for prototyping. Shortly thereafter they discontinued it. The marketing gal in Taiwan that I communicated with promised a replacement in a few months. That stretched into about two years. Still, the EM500 has convinced me to forgive (but not forget) - it really is a neat design.

I suspect they ran into patent issues with the earlier design which was in a single package similar to the Lantronix XPort.

I have you beat. I have over 1900 XPorts and 380 MatchPorts in the field. All connected to PICs.
    Charles Linquist

Lantronix XPorts aren't the easiest things to use, but if you decide to use them, I can give you a lot of help.
    Charles Linquist

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Linquis View Post
    I have you beat. I have over 1900 XPorts and 380 MatchPorts in the field. All connected to PICs.
    My projects are not intended for profit. They are mostly for my own amusement. It probably would not be amusing if I had to support 2280 units.

Default NANO module model and software or no-software?

...pins spacings are metric...it only does port 80...
    Thanks for the tips although I currently don't understand the importance of the port number

I'm a little confused about which ConnectOne NANO module I need to order. Is it correct to choose part iL-SM2144H-I if I just need a module with pins, no WiFi, a RJ45 socket onboard? But then it is a Nano SocketLAN I want to buy not the Nano LANReach or am I wrong?

One more question about the NANO module; as I will use it to update a server's clock using NTP (or SNTP), will I need an external program running on the server to handle the time information provided by the module or is the module capable to do it all by itself?

According to Dave's post, the WIT110SR module could also be an option (http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Sub_Modules/...te3=0&pid=1040) but, at a first glance, it looks a little more complicated however it is half the price of the Nano (!).

BTW, I just found ConnectOne's LAN modules comparision chart here here.
    Roger

Thanks for the tips although I currently don't understand the importance of the port number
    If you have one of these modules behind a router (NAT) and another device is configured for PORT 80, say Apache for a web sever, you will not be able to serve web pages directly from the module because it only listens on PORT 80 and this can not be changed. Same if you have it set as a HTPPS server, PORT 443 is all it will listen to. This all is not a problem on a LAN.

The SERIAL NET function of these modules are not a problem, you can pick your port.
    But then it is a Nano SocketLAN I want to buy not the Nano LANReach or am I wrong?
    The Nano Socket family are the ones I use, they have pins. The on board antenna on the wifi module is pretty good too.

One more question about the NANO module; as I will use it to update a server's clock using NTP (or SNTP), will I need an external program running on the server to handle the time information provided by the module or is the module capable to do it all by itself?
    I am not sure how to answer this one.
    The module can be set to check certain time servers, it is a client.
    From your other thread I think I know what you want to do. Have your own time server on a LAN that is not connected to a WAN?
    If that is correct then I think it is doable...
    Where ever you are getting your time from could be sent to the module with a PIC and the module FTP, SERIAL NET, email,,, the data to the server. Then the server has a script to deal with the data... Kind of like I do for temperature data??
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

I bought one of the modules with the itsy-bitsy socket because I wanted to see whether it was practical to incorporate it in by PCB design. I decided against it but the boards themselves were the same so I just added pins in order to use that first one in prototyping. One advantage of adding the pins myself was I could mount it atop or beneath my main PCB. BTW, the support techs at ConnectOne are very sharp and well orgaized - all my questions were answered by the same tech so there was no loss of continuity. (Either they are well organized or they only have one overworked support tech.)

I know there are ways to push the time out to machines on a LAN but, as I've never had the need, I've never explored it. Search Bing (or Google?) using Time Synchronization Network (LAN) for details.

Quote Originally Posted by flotulopex View Post
    According to Dave's post, the WIT110SR module could also be an option (http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Sub_Modules/...te3=0&pid=1040) but, at a first glance, it looks a little more complicated however it is half the price of the Nano (!).
    As I noted above, of the three (ConnectOne, Tibbo, WIZNet), the WIZ110SR will require the most coding on the PIC end but, if you are looking at a one-off design, it is ready to go out-of-the-box with no assembly required.

If you are planning for volume and designing a PCB, I would go with ConnectOne or Tibbo and the choice would probably depend on the application. The Tibbo, with its own program memory offloads nearly all of the network coding but does mean you are working with two different Basic dialects. I think, if you study the docs I've referenced, you'll be most impressed with the Tibbo. I design projects that usually have some DIY elements and the flexibility of the Tibbo and the fact it is programmable in Basic make it attractive in that environment. Plus, users can reprogram as needed if I become totally incapacitated.

BTW, when I bought my ConnectOne modules they had not released the SocketLAN so I added my own pins to the LANReach. I tend to use the latter term to apply to either.
    Last edited by dhouston; - 12th November 2010 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit
    From your other thread I think I know what you want to do. Have your own time server on a LAN that is not connected to a WAN?
    Yes, correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit
    Kind of like I do for temperature data??
    No, just accurate time & date from a radio-controlled system (in Europe, it is DCF77 from GERMANY) or GPS module.

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston
    ...if you are looking at a one-off design, it is ready to go out-of-the-box with no assembly required
    Yup, it's a one-shot project. Anyway, I need to design a PCB for the PIC and the DCF77 receiver. But your points are pertinent...and you make me doubt about the best choice I have to go for

Let's do it a feminine way: keep the first impression as beeing the best one = NANO!
    Roger

Yup, it's a one-shot project. Anyway, I need to design a PCB for the PIC and the DCF77 receiver.
    I'm assuming that you do not need to connect to a Network Time Server using NTP since you'll be getting the time wirelessly. You just need to then share that time with the machines on your LAN. I have no idea whether the nano can act as an NTP server, if it can then it may be the best choice but if you're going to have to write the code to push the time out over the LAN, the WIZ110SR would be my choice based on initial cost and its out-of-the-box readiness.

Default Pic To Network

I like ConnectOne's nano LanReach. It does e-mail.or, if you can use an external adapter and don't need e-mail
    I have also used the connectone iChip it had good software and could do most of what you want but there were things missing and just wrong for general hookup.

1. Its a 3.3 volt device so you must be running @ 3.3 or use an adapter !

2. Its pin size and Pin Spacing are not standard for US market (this may not be a problem for you)

3. I noted a number of problems to there tech staff about there manual being incorrect which made it very hard to get started without there test board.

4. It does email had it sending mail once every 4 hours when on vacation, time and temp, so I could see if there was any ip address changes ( non static) I would then log on to the webpage to make sure it was working using smart phone.

5. They have wifi modules that do both wired and wireless I would go this route next time.

Quote Originally Posted by gtvmarty View Post
    Thanx for suggestions everyone.

I can grab the ENC28J60 locally, but i'm also interested in the "Connect One" modules too....awaiting order to be processed....

As much as i've read thru tcp/ip stack docs, and several webpages etc, it's still not clear (to me anyway, and i've sat thru Cisco CCNA 1+2) about HOW i get these ethernet modules to work.

Can somebody give me some BASIC pointers or links to 'HOW TO' sites....
    A simple checklist of things that need to be done would be VERY handy.

Even the data sheets from various vendors state things like
    "by implementing the use of....."
    "by simply adding...."
    "with the simple addition of......"

but these statements dont ANSWER anything.....
    they tell me WHAT needs to be done, but now HOW it's done......

So far, all i seem to find in many forums and sites are comments like "i used this, i used that, i added this, and implementd that" which is really NO HELP to me at all when i actually wanted to know HOW they achieved a working unit.

For starters:

Is the ethernet device pre-programmed ready to use?

what do i do with the microchip tcp/ip stack?
    Does it program into the ethernet device? into my code? called from my code using the include statement or something else?

It seems many ethernet modules claim "a simple way to connect any mcu onto the internet" and yet i'm finding it to be the most complex task to achive, what am i missing?

For the people out there who have bought these modules, and already tinkered with them for testing, PLEASE share HOW & WHAT you did to get things up'n'running......

I hope someday i'll look back on this and laugh, I know a challenge is good, but frustratiion isn't welcome....

Sorry if i'm ranting & raving, but sheesh, it shouldn't be this hard????

Thanx in advance,
    Marty.
    I have only used one device it was connect1s iChip
    it works like a modem giving it ati commands and there are hundreds of commands no stack no nothing!! download there manual and read it, ITs a 3.3 volt device so adapter needed, or run your project on 3.3 volts or you have 10 extra wires.

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston
    ...You just need to then share that time with the machines on your LAN
    YES... and NO.

The LAN is dedicated to a security CCTV and access control system. Time has to be "minute" accurate so I prefer to have a good time-base that will adjust the time once or twice a day or so.

NANO does NTP according to its datasheet. Nevertheless, I'll have a deeper look @ WIZ110SR. Actually, I could buy both...and try!

Thanks a lot for your advice... and experience too
    Roger

hoi,

fyi,

I am using always PBP for all projects except ... if ethernet applic. needed.
    My son tested it and is quite easy if using basic 18F97J60 and
    libraries from yo2lio 'www.microelemente.ro'

applications also with the ENC chip and smaller processors, webservers, videostreaming
    it's a pain with PBP, with MB it all works..
    sry

rgds

My projects are not intended for profit. They are mostly for my own amusement. It probably would not be amusing if I had to support 2280 units.
    You are right! Supporting them isn't easy. Fortunately, they are in the hands of only 20-30 customers. That helps a bit.
    Charles Linquist

Default nano

YES... and NO.

The LAN is dedicated to a security CCTV and access control system. Time has to be "minute" accurate so I prefer to have a good time-base that will adjust the time once or twice a day or so.

NANO does NTP according to its datasheet. Nevertheless, I'll have a deeper look @ WIZ110SR. Actually, I could buy both...and try!

Thanks a lot for your advice... and experience too
    Yes it does used this feature

Default 1

[QUOTE=dhouston;95970]I bought one of the modules with the itsy-bitsy socket because I wanted to see whether it was practical to incorporate it in by PCB design. I decided against it but the boards themselves were the same so I just added pins in order to use that first one in prototyping. One advantage of adding the pins myself was I could mount it atop or beneath my main PCB. BTW, the support techs at ConnectOne are very sharp and well orgaized - all my questions were answered by the same tech so there was no loss of continuity. (Either they are well organized or they only have one overworked support tech.)

only one [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by l_gaminde View Post
    Either they are well organized or they only have one overworked support tech.
    only one [email protected]
    that's the one!

I just noticed ConnectOne's Mini Socket iWiFi http://www.connectone.com/products.asp?did=73&pid=73 which uses 0.100 inch headers, making it easier to breadboard for experimenting.

Default tcp/ip

thats good news is it still 3volt

Quote Originally Posted by l_gaminde View Post
    is it still 3volt
    3.3V and the pins are not 5V tolerant so you either need to run your MCU at 3.3V or do 2-way level conversion. Tibbo pins are 5V tolerant which simplifies using it with a 5V MCU.

Wink

Charles L,

I have been trying to send you a private email regarding this subject. Please check - if you can't get my message, I'll do another route.

Thanks,
    Len G.