Programming PIC10F222

Closed Thread

Default Programming PIC10F222

I am trying to program a 10F pic for the first time, and I can't get it to work. I am using an imitation PICSTART PLUS programmer via MPLAB IDE v8.00, and I have set up a breadboard to alter the pin arrangement. I have an 8-pin DIP package with VDD in the Picstart ZIF at pin 1, Vpp (MCLR) at pin 4, Vss at pin 40, GP0 (data pin) at pin 39, GP1 (clock pin) at pin 38, and GP2 at pin 37. I've tested all connections, and using a couple of LEDs, I've verified that the data and clock pins are going high and low as expected (the leds dim and flicker).

The result is always a long list of program memory errors and some configuration memory errors, one of which is code protection (the programmer says it is on even on a brand new PIC). Read and Verify commands return a bunch of zeros. So it looks like nothing is being written or read. The erase command claims success, but changes nothing.

I've double checked that the correct device is selected, and I've tinkered with configuration bits and different hex codes. So I am at a loss. Maybe I need a new programmer? Any ideas about what could be going wrong or how to make it work? Any recommendations for different programming devices?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Unless your imitation PICSTART+ has been designed to work with the 10F part, you're
    going to need to buy or build a special adapter or use ICSP.

Have you looked at the 10F222 pinout in the data sheet? It may be an 8-pin device, but
    it's not anywhere near the same pinout as other 8-pin types.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Have a look at MPLAB help file, or the following PDF

http://www.datadog.com/appendix_a.pdf
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Thanks guys, but in short, I tried all that. I am aware that the pinout is unique for the 10Fs. I am using a breadboard to piece together an adaptor. That's why I described those connections in my post. I had seen the MPLAB help doc, and it seems like what I am doing should work. It does mention a firmware update (which is probably not possible with my imitation PICSTART.

What makes me crazy is that there doesn't seem to be anything special about the 10Fs other than the pinout. So why does it fail where others succeed. I've seen some posts on other forums--folks haveing the same problem, but no solutions. So if you have any ideas, chime in please.

And if not...Well, I've always wanted to try one of those little pickit jobs...

Thanks.

Microchip tends to change a lot more than just pinouts, so a device programmer will need to
    support a variety of different device programming algorithms, pinouts, and whatever else
    differs from one to the next.

I gave up years ago on clone type programmers. It really will save you a boat-load of time
    and frustration going with a solid & supported programmer.

Most clone types don't stay current with software & firmware updates, so you fall behind in
    support for a lot of new PICs.

A PICkit2 or MeLabs USB programmer would be worth the investment.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

The PicKit-2 works just great...

Thanks fellas.