MPLAB IDE (NewBee)

Closed Thread

Default MPLAB IDE (NewBee)

I have PicBasic Pro and I would like to use MPLAB to edit my files with MPASM but the files seem to be written in a different language. Were do I get information like in the PBP manual on the commands for MPASM?

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by n7hri View Post
    I have PicBasic Pro and I would like to use MPLAB to edit my files with MPASM but the files seem to be written in a different language. Were do I get information like in the PBP manual on the commands for MPASM?
    In the documentation files that are installed with the MPLAB IDE package, don't remember exactly where, but they're in there somewhere.

MPASM is a compiler. MPLAB is the editor (IDE).

Here is how you set MPLAB up to work directly with PBP.
    http://www.melabs.com/support/mplab.htm

Is that what you are after?
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default MPLAB Editor

Yes MPLAB is supose to be the Editor but I can't get it to open a blank Source file so I can start wrighting code. I tried going threw the project wizard but when I try to compile it it tells me that there isn't a source file.

?? What Language is MPLAB for ?? I made sure I didn't download the "C" verson.
    MPLAB 8.00.00.00 Certified MPASM Installed and PICSTART Plus Installed.

I was going to try to work with MPLAB but frankly it's a real Pain. I am about to just go back to MicroCode Studio it seams to support allot of good Development platforms. Any Suggestions for a good Development Board the following support.

PicBasic Pro Compiler
    Microcode Studio
    EPIC Programmer (Parallel Port)

If I go further with this Platform I'll purchase MicroCode Studio Plus

Once the project is created, goto project on the tool bar and add a source file. If you do not have a *.bas file as a source, then goto file, new and make one.

MPLAB is for several languages. First assembly and then if you tell it PBP, C, and I think I remember something about java???

Development board = bread board and what ever parts you plan to use.
    Dave

Default I learned something from Chuck Helleybuck

Gents

I would like to ask if the approach written by Chuck Hellebuyck on Nuts & Volts issue May 2008 would be better in running PBP in MPLAB for a newbie like us.

Any advantage or disadvantage to his approach.....?

Before I read this thread I found the same problem with the .BAS file not found by MPLAB. I get to run it after doing the suggestion by Chuck & decided of creating a Blank.Bas file so I can add it everytime I create a new project in MPLAB 8.15a.

Also the .INC file for the particular PIC I am using as per Chuck suggestion.

Any thought about this

Red face

I have never read any. Of the things from "Chuck", but it
    seems like everyone that comes here that has always have
    problems. So do not read from this guy...

If you want to run PBP from MPLAB follow these instructions
    http://www.melabs.com/support/mplab.htm
    Dave

Smile A great development configuration

If I go further with this Platform I'll purchase MicroCode Studio Plus
    I have had great success with and highly recommend the following development configuration:
    Compiler: PICBasicPro (comes with MicroCode Studio lite...more than adequate)
    Editor: MicroCode Studio (lite version is good enough if you don't need debugging)
    Programmer: PICkit2 Starter Kit
    Development Board: Either the development board that comes with the Starter Kit or your own development board with an ICSP 6-pin header installed on it so it will interface with the PICkit2.

Once you set up the "Compile and Program Options" on MicroCode Studio it will:
    1) Recognize you are using PICBasicPro compiler
    2) give you choice of using MPASM hex compiler or the PM compiler,
    3) Load your code file into the editor
    4) permit you to edit, print and compare code file versions in side-by-side button controlled windows,
    6) compile your code into a hex file which is automatically saved at a specific location for you to find,
    6) automatically launch PICKit2 programmer with presettings for your chosen MCU device and for the _config settings from your code,

Once PICkit2 automatically launches per above all you have to do is point it to your hex file location on your computer drive using its "Auto Import Hex & Write Device" button and it will program your device for you. Once programmed you can use various features of PICkit2 to:
    1) run program on your development board,
    2) review the programmed hex code that resides in the device in a listing of the hex code as programmed in each program memory location,
    3) review the created data in data memory locations after running the program.

This is a very efficient way to develop programs and test them on your chosen device....and for a very low cost if you already own PICBasic Pro....MPASM and MCU lite are included free and PICkit2 is less than $50. And I don't work for or get any commissions from any of the companies who have these products. I just learned after a lot of experimentation this was a good setup.
    Welcome to PICBasic programming and I hope this might help you get started.

Talking Can I meet with you and help you?

n7hri,
    I notice from your profile you are located in Wyoming. Although I live in Colorado, I am working during this summer in Saratoga and could possibly meet with you and help you since you are a "newbie" if you are in Laramie or Cheyenne or Casper or somewhere else in driving range of Saratoga. Let me know by email at [email protected].

Gents

If only it seems that I have problems maybe not. Indeed I have problems running PBP in MPLAB....since I cant find official documentation on this subject. With MELABS integrating the compiler to MPLAB yes it has been posted on their site but after then what...for experts yes its basic but for newbee...if I could only request for refund & get other basic compiler that is more supported on forums & on their own home pages I will be doing that.Or get some cracked software (hanging around the net) first, learn on it if I find problems on it just remove & delete the copy of it..... no hurt brains & pockets.....

My point of asking is it does not remain only at installation & running it but some comparative opinion that I can consider using & integrating this two system.since for one reason Im new on this stuff.

If I can find resources & reading material on this I could have read & teach myself & keep off myself from joining this forum....

There are plenty of code examples on MELABS site along with the documentation about using MPLAB. Specific MPLAB instructions would come from MICROCHIP as it is their IDE.

This forum over the years has become the unofficial/official forum for PBP. Anyone that knows PBP and has the inclination to help others are on this forum.

As far as running MPLAB with PBP... MPLAB is just a "cool tool". You can write code in Note Pad or Emacs just as easy, then compile with command line commands.

To get started, Micro Code Studio is probably the best bet. The system paths do not need to be changed as they do with MPLAB and the syntax coloring is good. It even has a serial terminal built in.

Give a specific question or problem and someone here will help you out. If it is something that can not be answered here the support from MELABS is very good also.
    Dave

@mack

Thanks a lot for the advise....I really appreciate the idea you proposed. I hope I could learn from you during this self study of mine. The microcode studio is by far fine with me. Im gearing toward MPLAB since like flow code microcode might stop one of this days supporting thier IDE. I might as will learn the hows on this all at the same time with PBP.Im not saying microcode studio will be gone but other factors like simulators & updates are of considerations to me. And its free.

Again thanks & got to check & re read your site recommendations.

Regards

Interesting that you are concerned about Micro Code not being around.
    The latest version of MPLAB does not work well with PBP.

Bottom line is you can write PBP code with just about any
    text editor and compile it via command line. I would not get to
    worried about the editor just worry about PBP and chips

You can even make you own editor.
    Dave

@ Mack

really! thats how powerful the PBP compiler is?.....anyway Im just still in a process of learning the compiler like I shared in my previous respond but the MELABS site Q & A indirectly answered some of the questions in my mind.

I get to check rentron site & gives some insights on my confusions.

Thanks

Chris

Yes. PBP is the best there is. At least many of us here thing so.
    Melabs site, Rentron and this forum are the best places for examples
    of working code.

In the old days all I ever used was Notepad and the command line.
    Currently a friend of mine and I are working on our own editor for PBP
    that if all goes well should make things like GLCDs and SD cards
    easier to setup.
    Dave

Default Newbie options

There are so many ways to get started with PICBASIC PRO thta a newbie can get confused. Starting with MPLAB is a little advanced but not impossible. microEngineering Labs has updated their site to show how to use PICBASIC PRO with the latest MPLAB. Microchip changed the way MPLAB works which added confusion and required a modification to PICBASIC PRO operation.
    Their website now has the new directions.

Starting with MCStudio and a microEngineering Labs programmer is probably the easiest since most of it is setup for you when you install the software. I really like the features that PICkit 2 programmer offers but a microEngineering Labs USB programmer is a great way to start.

Chuck Hellebuyck
    Chuck Hellebuyck
    Electronic Products
    http://www.elproducts.com
    [email protected]

Wink Considering you want PBP as a Compiler ...

Hi,

After having tested it ...

I think, for a beginner, that PBP + MCS + EasyPic5 really is worth its value ... as EasyPic5 can be used as a programmer by MCS ... and is one of the best " testBoards " on the market.
    Also note plentiful of easy to connect modules for experimenting with Peripherals ...

Using MPLAB is, to me, a second step when a look at asm produced code begins to be helpful. ... and if you want to use ICSP or the Powerful Microchip debuggers ( Pickit 2/3 and ICD 2/3 )

But ... it's no more for the beginner !!!

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Default EasyPIC 5

Is there a command line to set up EasyPIC 5 in MCS?
    If yes, what is the command line?

Or do you just load the .hex separately in the EasyPIC 5 interface?
    Chuck Hellebuyck
    Electronic Products
    http://www.elproducts.com
    [email protected]

Default How goes the PBP editor?

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    Currently a friend of mine and I are working on our own editor for PBP
    that if all goes well should make things like GLCDs and SD cards
    easier to setup.
    I would be very interested in your editor if it will make setup of GLCDs and SD cards easier with PBPro. What is status and how do I get it when it is done?

Quote Originally Posted by jellis00 View Post
    I would be very interested in your editor if it will make setup of GLCDs and SD cards easier with PBPro. What is status and how do I get it when it is done?
    The SD card part was coming along nicely but then other things caused it to be put on the back burner. I guess I spoke to soon. The GLCD part is still pretty much on paper...

Once the SD part is finished and documented I will post about it on the forum.

Wish I had a time line... Looks like it might be a month or so.
    Dave