servo/motor problem

Closed Thread

Unhappy servo/motor problem

hi there im working on a project for science olympiad and i recently got all the electronics done for my robot. what baffles me though is that after about 3 to 4 minutes of controlling the motor (through an h-bridge) and servo all of a sudden both stop working, the motor stops working and the servo makes very jerky movements in one direction. is there anything u can think of that could cause this? i have checked all of my connections which are good, the batteries are still fresh, and i have even swapped out the micro (16f690) all have made no difference.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What about the voltage regulator? Is it heating up after a bit and dropping out?.

A schematic might help.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    What about the voltage regulator? Is it heating up after a bit and dropping out?.

A schematic might help.
    I think this is likely, are you running the motor's power through the regulator?
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

the motor does not have a voltage regulator, and i am running everything off of 4 AAA batteries. should i add a voltage reg? how will this affect my battey life?

Talking Button cells ???

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    and i am running everything off of 4 AAA batteries. ?
    No need to see further ...

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Are the batteries rechargeable? The total voltage could be with fully charged cells 4.8 to 6 volts nominal. One could be a bit low if you are running at 10MHz or above and the other is a bit high.

The 4.8 v will be fine if nothing causes to much of a voltage drop. The batteries may seem fine after everything stops due to rebound. Try a voltmeter when it is running to monitor the voltage to see for your self.

Solution might be to have a separate set of batteries for the PIC and another for the motors. Share the zero rail.

If you are not running rechargables then a regulator is recommended for the PIC. Keep the voltage at 5 volts or less here. If you run the PIC at 4 MHZ or so the voltage can be much lower, check the data sheet under electrical characteristics. A low drop out regulator may also be handy. If the batteries are max voltage 4.8 and you run at 4 MHz then you will not need the regulator.

This "science olympiad ", is this something with a secondary school or university ?
    Dave

Talking

Hi,Dave

The internal resistance of those batteries is FAR too high to power a servo , so a servo and a Motor ...

Want some values ??? just to laugh a bit ...

running the PIC @ 3 v could be a solution ... for the Pic only !!!

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acetronics View Post
    The internal resistance of those batteries is FAR too high to power a servo , so a servo and a Motor ...
    eYup, I was not really thinking about the motors, more to the PIC browning out. Good point.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    . . . should i add a voltage reg? how will this affect my battey life?
    No, I thought if you were, then you might be overloading it. Alain is one of this forums R/C and Servo EXPERTS, I would defer to his expertise.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

I just got done trying to power the pic seperatly from the motor and servo and nothing changed. also i tried some code to just use the servos and that worked fine, any ideas?

Now is the time to post your code and schematic.
    Dave

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.