PIC chip exchange ?

Closed Thread

Default PIC chip exchange ?

Does anyone know if there is such a place/thread/website that is used to swap PIC MCU's with other PIC users by post ?

e.g. I have some spare 16F819's, 16C711JW's, 16C715JW, 18F1220's in my parts box but I need a 18F2550, and somebody may need what I have too.
    Martin

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

PIC are s cheap now, I don't know of any site like that... but you could try Ebay... sure enough anything can be sale over there.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

You might try Craigslist...
    Sounds like a good idea but I have to agree with mister-e, they're so cheap and readily available most people just buy what they need. Maybe a section in the forum???
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

I've got a bin full of them... half were free samples from m'chip, and half were stuff I bought "just in case." It'd cost me more to mail them than I'd get out of selling them.

Take a look in the Adverts or Off Topic sections, I've seen other members looking trade or give away or sell extra chips. Hey, you never know, you might be able to help out some kid starting out.
    I know I don't have any 18f2550's, but I did buy some other 18f's that I've never used, maybe this could be the start of something big!

Good Luck,

Jerry
    If your oscilloscope costs more than your car...

A few guy's said PIC are so cheap why bother swapping them ?

Well not here in good old Adelaide Australia. Unless it's a VERY common PIC type like a 16F84 or 16F877 then you'd have to order a rail of them here. The LHS will not get just a couple of units in for you. Arrow is the PIC agent here in Oz, and they turned their back on the non-professional electronics market (so did every other Oz parts agency BTW).
    I could go into a monologue about how they're dooming themselves by not supporting the hobbyist and students, but I won't.....
    RS and Farknell are stupidly expensive too here for one chip or two.

None of my PIC projects are ever money earners, and I give away a lot of small PIC based gadgets to mates here too (RC airplane gadgets). So I like to get a bargain or scrounge as many parts as possible. Actually scrounging has become an Australian tradition to the electronics hobbyist here...

So if I was to start a thread called 'PIC swap market' (no sales) which forum is the better ?

PS. Also found some surplus 18F452's, 18F4620, 16F877 and some EEPROMs from 93LC46 to 93LC66 size in my parts box !

Actually, in years gone by, I gave some away to forum members in parts of the world that are a lot poorer than we are... and it cost me the postage to send it too...

In return I got a lovely 'Thank You' letter and later some Christmas Cards which frankly were worth far more to me knowing that my gift was used, appreciated and remembered than the actual monetary value itself.

So why even bother scrabbling about for a couple of Dollars and go spread some Happiness.

T.Jackson Guest

Reminds me of the old tramp that I gave two cigarettes to just before Christmas. I felt so sorry for this old bugger, watching him sift through filthy garbage bins for cigarette buts, so I walked up to him and handed over two cigarettes, said nothing and walked off.

He quickly spread the news to one of his buddies about me: "there's some sucker out the front of the shops that will give you cigarettes!". When this particular person approached me and asked me for them, my sorrow quickly turned to anger, because I now felt very used.

I am convinced that far and few people truly respect and appreciate generosity in the western world.

Oh, and his buddy almost ran me down with his scotter when I said "NO".

Trent Jackson

Wink Our Psychologist failed ??? oooo....

Here, we Have an hospital for ( very ....) severe road accidented people : St Cloud hospital ...

IF you help those people ( fallen from their wheelchair or wheelbed i.e.) you will be shout at ...

IF you just have a smile at them and just say "hello" ... you make them happy.

IF they ask you something ... they really need it, you can help, then.

see some similarities ???

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

T.Jackson Guest

Not too hard to read between the lines with that one.

Simple people Alain. Simple people which I do feel equally as sorry for.

Trent Jackson

Some posts seem a bit harsh for a guy looking for just a single chip.
    So he should help himself and go looking? Looking how long before he gives up? Maybe hes got a deadline. (yes, even a hobbyist can have them) How much work is a single chip worth?

I say, though not sure about the AUS end of it, to get a free sample from MC (I've done this in the past and some of the parts came from the Asia factory. )

Does Micro Chip sell things in AU?

I buy my stuff straight from the source.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by anode505 View Post
    Some posts seem a bit harsh for a guy looking for just a single chip.
    So he should help himself and go looking? Looking how long before he gives up? Maybe hes got a deadline. (yes, even a hobbyist can have them) How much work is a single chip worth?

I say, though not sure about the AUS end of it, to get a free sample from MC (I've done this in the past and some of the parts came from the Asia factory. )
    Yes he gave up, he too thought it was all a bit much for a bloke simply looking for another guy to swap a few spare PIC's with. Strangely, he never mentioned selling them, but the topic headed that way regardless. No, he didn't look any further than the forum, but maybe he will one day soon.