PBP with iMac

Closed Thread

Thread: PBP with iMac

Default PBP with iMac

I'd love a version that worked with iMac - we're multi-platformed here!
    Adrian

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Never used a MAC, but I use Linux most of the time.
    Is there a "WINE" like program for MACS?
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

I don't use wine (except with meals) as I have Ubuntu, Debian & Fedora running either on their own machine or as dual boot with Windows (98SE, 2000, XP) but wine is available for Linux, BSD and OSX.

OK, maybe ther compiler will be made for MacOS X, what about MPLAB? Programmers, ICSP's etc? I saw some here and there, but as all this electronics are based on PC's, I finally got my first new laptop to be a VAIO. I wanted a Power book, but the idea of facing compatibility issues made me to choose a PC. At the office I have a MacPro monster but had not the time to test it with PC programs yet. I suppose I have to install some kind of emulator or something to use both systems at the same time.

Ioannis

If WINE works with MACOSX as well as it does with LINUX then it should not be a problem.

For years I have used MPLAB and PBP on a LINUX box and PICSTART+ for the programmer with out problems.

Then a friend of mine told me about
    http://www.cannasoftware.com/content/view/32/1
    Now the PICKIT2 works with LINUX, the front end is not quite as nice as the software that ships with the PICKIT2, but it works well.

Now all I need a windows machine for is AutoCad
    Dave

Hi Dave

I have to admit I had never heard of WINE before but a google search reveals that someone has got it working on Mac OS X. I will look into it further. I have run PCs for years but having done a 'lateral arabesque' onto a Mac in the last year there's no looking back for me. I rate them very highly. I'm also not keen to run Windows software under Mac which is possible. It's interesting that the only problems I've ever had with Mac is using Word for Mac and Excel for Mac. other than that it is a faultless machine. Only problem of course is that I need a PC for programming so Mac stays in study and PCs are in the workshop for programming and other workshop duties!

Thanks for info...

Adrian

I am sure you have heard of
    http://www.openoffice.org/

I do not like MS Office even on windows machines. OO seems to have more math functions and of course the files are cross platform. OO can either open or save to the MS format if you have to share files with unenlightened folks still using MS
    Dave

I've been using a MacBook Pro for the last year for everything, except for Pic projects. I use a program called VMWare Fusion to run WindowsXP, and it works great. A Mac can boot into Windows using Apple's Bootcamp, but you have to reboot the machine to change operating systems. With Fusion, you just start it like any other program, and move the mouse into or out of the program. Fusion also will run Linux on an Apple.

Jerry
    If your oscilloscope costs more than your car...

Hmm, why don't you use it for PIC projects too? Does it have to do with a programmer not compatible?

Ioannis

Hi Ioannis,
    You are correct sir! The only reason I run Windows now is so that I can use PicBasic Pro and my programmers. I've had PC's since DOS 3.1, before that I had CPM and a few machines that used interpreted Basic, but I really love my Mac, and if MeLabs comes out with a Mac version then I'll delete XP. I plan on never buying Vista.
    Have a great New Year!
    Jerry.

Do you remember 'B' batteries?
    YEP, and 32 volt Delco Light plants
    Dave

Dave,
    You got me, I had to go search for Delco Light. My buddy's dad told me about using a hit and miss engine to run the washing machine, and we've used PTO generators different times, but I've never come across a 32 volt system before. Neat stuff!

Happy New Year to all,

Jerry

Default I vote for OS X support

Would love to have OS X support! I use Picbasic on my mac using Bootcamp which works ok but do most of my work using a Mac, so it would be more convenient to stay in OS X mode.

Default Mac OSX ! Hey what a swell idea

Yeah, i never thought of porting the PBP to mac.. i am so used to working on my projects downstairs on my laptop where all my test and soldering equipment is i never thought how convenient it would be to have it in my computer room with my macs... since my PCB software is mac that is where i design. But i also run bootcamp and parallels for my IMac. parallels for quick stuff and then a hard reset to the other OS for more graphical stability.

i could move all my equipment upstairs if PBP and my programmers were ported to Mac OSX.... one can only dream.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those that know binary and those that do not.

Default PBP with OS X

To successfully install and use PBP with OSX you have 2 options that work great.

1. Download and use <a href="http://www.codeweavers.com/products/"> Crossover </a>

2. Download and use <a href="http://wineskin.doh123.com/Information.html"> Wine Skin 2.0 </a>

For Crossover I have submitted the instructions to their web database so just do a search for MicroCode Studio.

For Wine Skin, download and run the provided application to create a blank wrapper and use the provided utility to install MPLAB, PBP 2.60a and MicroCode Studio 4.0. Once completed run the winetricks tool and set windows version to Windows 7.

Default Re: PBP with iMac

I am uploading my Wrapper without PBP so you can download it and use it. Just copy your PBP folder to the PBP folder inside the wrapper and you are good to go

If you have any questions just ask.

<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17870319/MicroCode%20Studio.zip"> Download here </a>