RS232 to ethernet device

Closed Thread

Default RS232 to ethernet device

I have a product that uses an RS232 connection hardwired but it has potential to be used with a serial to internet interface as well.

I have no experience with any of these converters -- some of the ones I have bookmarked are siteplayer, netburner. Also one on Ebay "usconverters". ?

I want something that the user can set up with a MINIMUM of hassle.

Also, something that is complete, not the module concept that needs a PS, case etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Havent tried it, but had bookmarked it a few months back.

http://www.ezweblynx.com/

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

I use a lot of these types of devices, and 90% of the time I need a device that is easily configurable from the SERIAL side. Instead, most of the companies tout how good their GUI is - which you use to configure the device from the LAN side. That doesn't help me.

It is also very convenient to have the devices send you status through hardware pins, not just messages embedded in the bitstream (things like "cable connected" or "telnet session in progress" or "I'm now in command mode" for example)
    Charles Linquist

this may sound like a stupid question but I need (2) devices for a link, correct?

or can I have (1) rs232 device at the "send" end (I don't need bidirectional) and just an internet connection (and the appropriate software) at the receive pc?

thinking maybe on the receive end the software will write to the serial port internally or something without the need for another module?

obviously, I have no experience with these.

thanks

You can have one of these little devices on one end and a PC, or a mail server or anything else on the 'net on the other end.
    Charles Linquist

I know you are looking for a packaged solution but I will add this one to the list in case the others do not work for you.
    http://www.connectone.com/products.asp?did=73&pid=98
    It pretty much has the ability to do anything web wise. Send/receive email, send to FTP, on-board web site, serially controlled, etc...

Here is a test thingy I have running part of the time.
    http://mackrackit.com/mac/ichip/ichip.html
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

One other thing, which one do you think is the absolute easiest to set up?

The module will be on the RS232 port on the send end pushing out simple data bytes and that's it.

I don't want the user calling me with something that is a hassle to install.

Thanks so much for all this info.

There are some settings need to be done in prior. Like the IP address, subnet mask etc to match the local network. It is close to plug and play but not exactly.

Also if there is an internet connection maybe you can open a port on the modem and you can connect to the device from your PC and make any changes.

Ioannis

All of them (at least the 3 or 4 that I have played with) let you set the configuration over the network OR the serial port.

The part that you have to consider is whether or not your PIC will control such things as ip address, subnet mask, gateway, protocols, etc.

If the PIC does not have to control these things, then most any one of them will work. If the PIC DOES have to control these items, then you should pick your device carefully. Some are much easier to configure over serial than others.
    Charles Linquist

my send rs232 is a pic that will be sending 6 bytes of data (non encoded raw binary) over and over again, that's it.

my windows software on the receive end deciphers it -- sort of a burglar alarm arrangement.

I'm still studying these -- looks like the ezweblynx, lantronix xport and ewiznet are all the best choices.

I'm trying to figure out though, do you need a development board to setup and program these?

Or can you do it with just a PC and the module?

Charles, you made it sound like a development board isn't needed -- like I say, I've never even touched one so I like to be extra sure with my (redundant) questions.

lol.

I use a lot of Lantronix Xports and Lantronix MatchPortAR's. They are single parts that do not have a DB-9 connector. If you install them on your board, then you have two options to configure them. I say "configure" becuase there is no real "programming" needed - the program is already inside and you just set up the parameters you need with a menu.

From the NETWORK SIDE:

Lantronix has a program called DEVICE INSTALLER that you run in a PC that is connected to the Ethernet port of the device. You can set up all the parameters: ip, subnet mask, gateway, and a bunch of others. The interface is either a command line or GUI (you choose). This configuration can be done at any time - even in the field if the user has the PORT INSALLER program.
    The ability to use this GUI can be shut off, however. My military customers (virtually ALL my customers are military) demand that it not be possible to re-configure the device from the "network side". Once this GUI is shut off, the device must be configured from the "serial side".

From the SERIAL SIDE:
    on the XPORT -
    You use your PIC to hold the RESET line, and then release it. You start sending a series of "z". After a few seconds, it will respond with an "*". You then send "S0" followed by a series of INTEL Hex records with a checksum at the end of each. When you are done, you issue a RESET again.

on the MATCHPORT AR-
    You use your PIC to hold the RESET line, and then release it. You start sending a series of "!". After a few seconds, it will respond with a ">". You then send a sequence of XML records.

All this is OF COURSE explained in the respective manuals.
    Charles Linquist

Thanks Charles.