Bits, Bytes Words and Arrays

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Isn't this information in the PicBasic Pro Compiler doc's... something like "Variables", "Aliases", "Arrays" and so forth...?

Mike Tripoli

Quote Originally Posted by mtripoli View Post
    Isn't this information in the PicBasic Pro Compiler doc's... something like "Variables", "Aliases", "Arrays" and so forth...?

Mike Tripoli
    Probably most of it, Manuals and Data sheets are written by engineers, FOR engineers, and some of us NON engineers have a little trouble getting our heads around them, SO an experienced Advisor / Professor / Engineer / Guru / or even Lay person who knows, lending guidance is appreciated, and welcomed even if some of see it as too basic. You are new here, Welcome, Your statement tells me you might be really knowledgeable. I hope so, we can always use more people who are. I am not, but I help when I can. I learn something here nearly every time I come in. Every newbie can figure out a different way to "stall out" and I have seen some pretty unusual new ideas (that often do not work ) but they challenge me to think, and learn.
    Again Welcome Mike Tripoli.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

I'm not "new" here; I just don't get into every little thing that's posted.

Data sheets and manuals are not written "by engineers for engineers"; that's nonsense. They are written for those knowledgeable in the discipline. If you have not taken the time to make yourself knowledgeable then it's on you. If you don't understand the information in the manual then get a basic book on electronics and educate yourself. There is nothing in the manual that anyone with a basic understanding of electronics wouldn't understand.

Contrary to what (it appears) many people on this forum think, electronics and microcontroller programming isn't some "plug 'n play" hobby. It requires a great deal of time to gain the knowledge to succeed. Yes, I am knowledgeable in the field. This didn't happen by accident; I've spent a great deal of time reading books, manuals and data sheets. I began with the fundamentals and worked up from there. Once you spend the time you'll begin to see that the "unusual new ideas" are neither "unusual" or "new" and are in fact rubbish from people that haven't spent the time up front to know what they are talking about.

I feel so sorry for tech support guys; I really do.

Mike Tripoli

P.S. Your little "quote" about Communism is complete crap.
    Last edited by mtripoli; - 1st February 2010 at 18:31. Reason: nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by mtripoli View Post
    I'm not "new" here; I just don't get into every little thing that's posted.

Data sheets and manuals are not written "by engineers for engineers"; that's nonsense. They are written for those knowledgeable in the discipline. If you have not taken the time to make yourself knowledgeable then it's on you. If you don't understand the information in the manual then get a basic book on electronics and educate yourself. There is nothing in the manual that anyone with a basic understanding of electronics wouldn't understand.

Contrary to what (it appears) many people on this forum think, electronics and microcontroller programming isn't some "plug 'n play" hobby. It requires a great deal of time to gain the knowledge to succeed. Yes, I am knowledgeable in the field. This didn't happen by accident; I've spent a great deal of time reading books, manuals and data sheets. I began with the fundamentals and worked up from there. Once you spend the time you'll begin to see that the "unusual new ideas" are neither "unusual" or "new" and are in fact rubbish from people that haven't spent the time up front to know what they are talking about.

I feel so sorry for tech support guys; I really do.

Mike Tripoli

P.S. Your little "quote" about Communism is complete crap.
    OOOO!!!!!!
    An attitude!!!

This forum is about helping people. Maybe you have never needed help in understanding or have never ask a question???

Yes, there are many who come here looking for a copy/paste solution. They get "weeded".
    There are many who do not have the years behind them to have learned.
    There are many that come from another language or discipline also. Are they to be ridiculed?

IF
    you think the people truly trying to learn are beneath you
    THEN
    BUZZ OFF!!!!
    ELSE
    never mind
    just
    BUZZ OFF...
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Hi Mike,
    Opinions are what makes for horse races. Everyone starts out as a newbie, and people learn at different rates. Those are Facts, added to my opinion above. You have a great day! I choose not to argue.
    JS
    Edit: Melanie did this forum a service with this and nearly all of her posts, I say nearly, because Nobody is ever always or never.
    Last edited by Archangel; - 2nd February 2010 at 00:07.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Default Re: Bits, Bytes Words and Arrays

This is working in Pic Basic:

For MyVar=0 to 15
    MyBit=MyWord.0(MyVar)
    LCDOut $FE,1,"Bit ",#MyVar,"=",MyBit
    Pause 2000
    Next MyVar

But I can not get to work in Pic Basic Pro

I need to read/write some bits from/to a word variable and this method was very useful.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ricard.

Default Re: Bits, Bytes Words and Arrays

Hi,
    It works perfectly fine here. I had to add a # in the LCDOUT statementin order to have it actually display "1" or "0" but apart from that it works as I'd exect it to.
    Code:
    MyVAR VAR BYTE
    MyWord VAR WORD
    MyBIT VAR BIT

MyWORD = %1010101010101010

For MyVar = 0 to 15
      MyBit = MyWord.0(MyVar)
      LCDOut $FE, 1, "Bit " ,#MyVar, "=", #MyBit
      Pause 2000
    Next MyVar
    /Henrik.