Hello,

I'm working on a Master/Slave network with a PC as the master (could be a PIC too though) and multiple PIC16F877's as the slaves. Each of these slaves is a configurable multi-purpose I/O module for use with automation and data aquisition.

Currently, when the Master requests an ADC result, the Slave does the conversion when asked for the result.

This is OK but I would like to have a conversion runnning in the background while at the same time listening for Master commands.

I'm using 5 of the PIC's ADC modules for interfacing off-board, but I want to have one of the other ADC modules measuring the pre-regulator input voltage (which should be between 9 to 12 volts). If the input voltage drops below 7 volts, all of the configuration values (I/O direction, output values) will be stored in E-squared in case the voltage only dips momentarily.

Anyway, if any buddy has some good ideas of how I can accomplish this repetitive ADC conversion while at the same time listening on the serial port at 9600 baud, please let me know.