Goodbye

Closed Thread

Thread: Goodbye

Hybrid View

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Goodbye

Alberto,

not all tools are the solution to every problem. If you want just to write a few lines of code and run the code then OK. But you have a full featured computer to blink a led or do some other simple tasks.

Maybe I am seeing this from pure economic-technical aspect, but if one wants to do something in big scale, sure cannot rely on such platforms.

As already said, all these are very good to learn to walk. Then, if you feel ready, you have to run to compete others and these platforms (arduino, raspberry etc) are not the right shoes for it.

Ioannis

My approach to moving upward & onward is to learn to use XC8 and MPLAB X. Bought a couple books and have been devoting just a few hours per week learning. The advantage I see is access to all of the MPLAB X tools (like Microchip Code Configurator; MCC for short), simulator, debug, and the various code libraries that abound. Furthermore, the Proteus Studio hasn't kept up with PBP3 and no longer works very well. However, it is fully compatible with XC8.

We are blessed by having so many wonderful options available. Imagine attempting any of the projects you've done in the past 2 years using the tools available in 1995 (UV light to erase the PIC, Assembly programming, multiple pieces of software & hardware to do what is bundled into just one of each now...). I encourage anybody interested in trying something new to have fun. It may not work out, but I bet you learn a whole lot; principles that would help you better with PBP3, and/or whatever you decide to try next. Most of all, enjoy yourself. Few of us use these tools professionally, so it probably isn't that important. Spend some time with whatever you decide to try. You won't "get it" in a day or three. There will be frustrations. And remember, no single platform will be all things to all folks.

Regarding the comments about having a full featured single board computer to blink LEDs, but that I'm sorry to say is what people want these days. The days where programming a PIC and then using strip board to build a project with supporting timing xtal and associate discrete components has sadly passed. I'm talking about the hobbyist hear, where often than not all they want to do is plug in board X to board Y and load up a sample script and then let it do its thing. For me the Arduino language was very alien after BASIC but I picked it up by cutting and pasting bits of sample code for each device (RTC, TFT, DHT11 etc) to make up the full code for my project, and learnt by debugging the code. It was quick (compared to attempting the same - if at all possible - with PBP) and cheap. But then where plug in boards are concered, MikroElectronika did that decades ago with their EasyXXX development boards, perfecting it with the latest versions where the small modules plug directly into the development board.

The problem is as others have said, PBP has been left behind. I visit this forum daily and sometimes it's weeks between posts in the PBP section. 5,6,8 years back it was sometimes hard to keep up with the posts on all the topics there was that may members contributing. Someone said that what do people expect, PBP is a commercial product and can't compete with an open source platform such as the Arduino, but then again MikroElectronika is also a commercially based product, but they appear to have kept their hardware and software up to date and cater for modern devices as the hardware came out (TFT's for example where simple include files do the basics, or you can use a GUI interface tool to produce the code). I don't know how MikroElectronica compare to MelLabs in terms of size, (Is it just Lester or is/was there a team behind it), but they seem to be the goto platform for the hobbyist who still wants to program in BASIC.

It is a shame really.... but PBP ha shad its day IMO

Quote Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
    My approach to moving upward & onward is to learn to use XC8 and MPLAB X. Bought a couple books and have been devoting just a few hours per week learning.
    Could I ask what books you bought. I bought a couple of books about C but they dont seem particularly suited to Microcontroller particularly with regard to libraries and hardware.

Thanks

Keith
    Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
    www.kat5.tv

Could I ask what books you bought
    in theory "C" is "C" no matter what the platform ,so any book on C basics will get you going.
    learning the IDE is the real stumbling block , the xc8 user guide is essential reading
    I started with a curiosity board and worked through the example code that comes with it.

it would be nice to see an xc8 support group established here on this forum , a path to enhancing "pic" knowledge and development may keep things going

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    it would be nice to see an xc8 support group established here on this forum
    Members seem keen on the "C" language path based on the number of questions and responses regarding available books for beginners.
    I too am progressing down this path and note there is a distinct shortage of "friendly" user groups or forums.

I second Richard's comment regarding the establishment of an XC8 support group here on this forum.

Cheers
    Barry
    VK2XBP

In the current (July/August 2018) edition of Nuts & Volts Magazine is an article titled, "Go PICBASIC PRO with C" (pg 78). It is a simple exposure to some of the familiar PBP methods done in C.

Quote Originally Posted by keithdoxey View Post
    Could I ask what books you bought. I bought a couple of books about C but they dont seem particularly suited to Microcontroller particularly with regard to libraries and hardware.

Thanks

Keith
    Second edition "The C Programming Language" ANSI C by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie is considered a standard although not specifically for microcontrollers as richard said C is C.

Norm

http://it-ebooks.info/book/6036/

even though this is an Arduino book the chapters on data types , pointers , structures and unions ,looping functions are good value
    and translate well into xc8 . best of all its free
    Warning I'm not a teacher

Quote Originally Posted by keithdoxey View Post

Thanks

Keith
    "Programming PIC Microcontrollers with XC8" by Armstrong Subero and "C Programming Language, 2nd Edition" by Brian Kernighan & Dennis Ritchie.

I do not think waybackmachine can trawl and store the forum
    Lester - Forum Administrator
    -----------------------------------
    www.crownhill.co.uk

Since a login is required the wayback cannot do that.

Ioannis

No goodbyes from me.

I'm back, I need to write a basic USB keystroke program. Nothing fancy, just sending a "button" to AxisAndOhs (an interface for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020). Not sure how AAO will recognize the button yet, only one way to find out.

If you're moving on, I wish you well. If you're sticking around, nice to have you.

My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

Long time Robert! Everything OK?

Ioannis
    Last edited by Ioannis; - 29th March 2023 at 14:06.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Just getting old. Getting my neurons back in action. Can't find my U2 USB programmer, so had to get a PICkit4. I'm also getting back into flight simming, so my first PBP project is an instrument panel for all the buttons, switches and dials, starting with the Cessna 152. I hate using a keyboard, especially in flight sim. this is a layout of what I'm planning. Nothing fancy, no LCDs or lights, just using joystick button USB feature.

I finally got a really nice graphics card, I'm running MSFS 2020 maxxed out on 6 screens (3x22" and 3x19", will have to lower res a bit online). Now I just have to make a decent workspace beside my PC. Sitting at 24R in Montreal in the Cessna 152.

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.