Hi everyone.

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with a project I am working on.

I have 3 26" LCD monitors that were given to me free because the backlights died so I opened them up and and removed all the CCFL tubes and replaced them with LED strips (the ones you get on the reels). Problem is that the output to the inverter was 24v and the LED strips use 12v. I tried to just use a simple 12v regulator but because these monitors are backlit not side lit, I had to use almost 2 full reels of LEDs just for one monitor. The only way I found to power them was to use an external 12v AC adapter that was 4.6 Amp. Using the external AC adapter also has the side effect of staying on when I turn off the monitor.

My goal is to make a 24v to 12v circuit that can output between 3.8 Amp or higher, make use of the BL enable from the monitor circuits and also possible use the dimming.

The 24v output from the monitors power supply is 3.6 Amp so would converting it to 12v give me enough power? I was thinking of using a low pin count PIC to do the conversion of the backlight dimming sing the monitor outputs a analog voltage, I could use a ADC to read that and output a PWM signal to drive the LED backlight.

Would all this be possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks