ASK/FSK RF Module-what info can be sent and received?

Closed Thread

Question ASK/FSK RF Module-what info can be sent and received?

I've searched the web trying to figure out exactly what can be sent and received with an ASK RF module like this one from www.anykits.com:
    http://www.anykits.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=401

Is this capable of only sending binary 1's and 0's, or what type of information can be broadcast wirelessly with this module? Would sending video or audio signals be possible with this?

The same company also sells an FSK RF module that operates at 914.5MHz, a little over twice the frequency that the ASK module operates at. Here's the link to it: http://www.anykits.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=400

What are the intended usage for these types of modules? I can't seem to find this information on their site or any site I've found through searches on the web. Any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,
    -Adam R. Collins

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

These modules are intented for use in Remote control of low power/small range devices. Data rates are usually less than 4800 bits/s. So Video is a little difficult to send...

With a jpeg serial out put camera, the file would be about 20-30Kbyte, so it might take about 7-10 seconds for still picture! No motion of course.

Ioannis
    Last edited by Ioannis; - 27th October 2008 at 08:15.

Pretty much anything that you can send with wires serially from computer to computer you can send with these. Not sure about audio or video with them, never used that brand but FSK is what you want for that.

If you are just interested in serial type data check this site out http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/RemoteControl.htm
    This is Bruce's store, he is also one of the gurus here.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Thanks for the help and info, guys! 4800 baud is a bit slow for what I had in mind-I figured if I couldn't use either of them for sending audio or video, I might be able to set up a wireless hardware key logger based on a PS2 style keyboard connector, but I don't think that speed would cut it for that purpose. Oh well, I need to replace a 433.3MHz transmitter for an automotive alarm system I've had for a few years that I've lost the key fob for. If I can find some more specs on that alarm, I might be able to rig the ASK transmitter up to work with that. It's not a really fancy unit, just a few push-buttons were on the transmitter. No LCD display or anything...

BTW-I've noticed several links to www.rentron.com (even before I found this forum), but I've never ordered from them before. Since it's owner is an active member here, I'll have to start checking out their products before I buy elsewhere; I'm sure Bruce would be able to answer more in-depth questions about his own products...

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.