Making a menu

Closed Thread

Thread: Making a menu

Default Making a menu

Hi there, im currently trying to create a menu on a LCD display which im having some troubles with. Ill post m code further down but the code seems to be running straight through and then freezing with "game length" on the top and the minutes on the bottom. I guess ive missed somthing but for all the time ive spent looking i can't see the problem!
    Cheers

Also i forgot to mention it is possible to change one of the values on the timer if you rapidly press the button as it turns on then after this i get no responce!

Code:
    ' Hardware Defines
    ' ================

CMCON=%00000111
    CVRCON=%00000000 
    '
    ' LCD Display
    ' -----------
    ' Adjust these to suit your chosen LCD pinout
    '
    DEFINE LCD_DREG PORTB 			'Define PIC port used for LCD Data lines
    DEFINE LCD_DBIT 4 			'Define first pin of portb connected to LCD DB4
    DEFINE LCD_RSREG PORTB 			'Define PIC port used for RS line of LCD
    DEFINE LCD_RSBIT 3 			'Define Portb pin used for RS connection
    DEFINE LCD_EREG PORTB 			'Define PIC prot used for E line of LCD
    DEFINE LCD_EBIT 0 			'Define PortB pin used for E connection
    DEFINE LCD_BITS 4 			'Define the 4 bit communication mode to LCD
    DEFINE LCD_LINES 2 			'Define using a 2 line LCD
    DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 2000 		'Define delay between sending LCD commands
    DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 50 			'Define delay time between data sent.

' Control Buttons/Lines
    ' ---------------------
    ButStart var Portc.0 	' Take this pin low momentarily to START timing
    ButStop var Portc.1 	' Take this pin low momentarily to STOP timing
    ButReset var Portc.2 	' Take this pin low momentarily to RESET clock
    Butup var portc.3	' Take this pin low momentarily to increase clock time
    Butdwn var portc.4	' Take this pin low momentarily to decrease clock time
    '
    ' Software Defines
    ' ----------------
    BannerOffset var BYTE ' Variable holding start address of Banner Display
    CounterA var BYTE ' Just a Counter
    CounterB var BYTE ' Just a Counter
    CounterC var BYTE
    DataA var BYTE
    Hours var BYTE
    Hundredths var BYTE
    Minutes var BYTE
    OverflowError var BIT
    RunningFlag var BIT
    Seconds var BYTE
    SetupTimeOut var WORD ' Timeout counter for Calibration/Set-Up Mode
    TMR1Cal var BYTE ' Calibration Value
    IHOURS VAR BYTE
    IMINUTES VAR BYTE

TMR1CalAR var Byte ' Calibration 0=ADVANCE, 1=RETARD
    TMR1RunOn var WORD ' variable holding TMR1 Run-On value
    '
    ' EEPROM Presets
    ' --------------
    'Data @0,0 ' Advance/Retard Indicator
    'Data 0 ' Calibration Value
    'Data "Spec-ops.nl Tactical Game Aid - Enter Game Length"
    '
    ' Software Constants
    ' ------------------

' Initialise Processor
    ' --------------------
    TRISA=%00000000
    TRISB=%00000000
    TRISC=%00011111
    ADCON0=%11000000
    ADCON1=%00000111

' INITIAL Time Setup
    '----------------------------
    start:

IHOURS=0
    IMINUTES=3

HOURSI:
    If Butup=0 then 
    IHOURS=IHOURS+1
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    IHOURS=IHOURS-1
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO MINSI
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    GOSUB TIMESETUP

MINSI:
    If Butup=0 then 
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES+1
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES-1
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO CONTINUE
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO HOURSI
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    GOSUB TIMESETUP

timesetup:

LCDOUT $FE, 1, "GAME LENGTH"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,DEC2 IHours,":",DEC2 IMinutes,":00.00"	
    PAUSE 200
    REturn

'butup and butdwn

Continue:

LCDOUT $FE, 1, "Settings Saved"
    pause 1000
    goto continue
    end

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Code:
    MINSI:
    If Butup=0 then 
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES+1
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES-1
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO CONTINUE
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO HOURSI
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    GOSUB TIMESETUP

timesetup:
    PAUSE 200
    REturn
    Codes falls thru after the GOSUB, goes to timesetup, then tries to RETURN from which there was no GOSUB...therefore, the PIC dies a horrible death not knowing where to RETURN to.
    Ok, not that horrible, and not a death, but it probably does stop dead in it's tracks.

Ok so if i tried somthing like:
    Code:
    MINSI:
    If Butup=0 then 
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES+1
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES-1
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO CONTINUE
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO HOURSI
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    GOSUB TIMESETUP
    goto minsi

timesetup:
    PAUSE 200
    Return
    That should get that working?

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chrisshortys View Post
    That should get that working?
    Have you tried it yet?

I gave it a quick go and it appears to step through on +1 but does not on the -1 or the goto the next section of coding.
    I was going to put it down to being up for 20 hours and not looking forward to the 7:30 start at work tommorow for it not working right now unless you have any ideas?

skimask Guest

I was going to put it down to being up for 20 hours and not looking forward to the 7:30 start at work tommorow for it not working right now unless you have any ideas?
    If you're going to program a PIC, you almost want to think like a PIC.
    Go thru your program in your head, step by step, follow it thru and you'll see why it does what it does.
    Don't assume it'll work because you want it to. A CPU follows instructions in an explicit order. It doesn't go off on it's own because it thinks it's the thing to do at the moment.

well i went back to it, i stripped it right back to basics to ensure the buttons were working and tested it a command at a time and got it working!
    It dint like the way i had used the IF and ENDIF commands...
    start:

IHOURS=0
    IMINUTES=3

HOURSI:
    If Butup=0 then
    IHOURS=IHOURS+1
    endif
    IF BUTdwn=0 THEN
    IHOURS=IHOURS-1
    ENDIF
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO MINSI
    ENDIF
    pause 50
    GOSUB TIMESETUP
    GOTO HOURSI

MINSI:
    PAUSE 5000
    MINSI1:
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES+1
    ENDIF
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES-1
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO HOURSI
    ENDIF
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO CONTINUE
    ENDIF
    PAUSE 50
    GOSUB TIMESETUP
    GOTO MINSI1

timesetup:
    pause 50
    PAUSE 50
    REturn

'butup and butdwn

Continue:

pause 6000
    goto continue
    end
    So with that fully working i plonked it back into the other code im working on and now it freezes again doing what the original coding did and getting lost after adding the first hour....
    More time to play around tommorow night i guess.

skimask Guest

Well, that's obviously not the full code so we can't help you figure out what's causing the lock-up...

Exclamation New error code!

Well i didn't post it for a reason you see. I wanted to try and solve the problem myself. It's all well and good me using the forums for help but if i dont try and dont some on my own im never going to progress!
    This was one thing i was majorly criticised over by a previous line manager, not knowing when to ask for help and trying to do it all myself so now im trying to find a happy medium.

Anyway now back to the project!
    I got the code working by going through line by line and rebuilding it in the main project thats all good but.... i now have a new error off MPLAB when i try and compile the coding:

"Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex"

Any idea on what this means guys?

skimask Guest

Well i didn't post it for a reason you see. I wanted to try and solve the problem myself. It's all well and good me using the forums for help but if i dont try and dont some on my own im never going to progress!
    Somebody should 'sticky' that statement and make it required reading for newbies...
    This was one thing i was majorly criticised over by a previous line manager, not knowing when to ask for help and trying to do it all myself so now im trying to find a happy medium.
    Anyway now back to the project!
    I got the code working by going through line by line and rebuilding it in the main project thats all good but.... i now have a new error off MPLAB when i try and compile the coding:
    "Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex"
    Any idea on what this means guys?
    Is that the FULL error or are there extra numbers that go with it? If there are numbers, they may point to either a line in the original source code, or, if using MPASM, the assembly listing as to where the error has occured. I think in this case, it might be simply a misplaced space or extra ' or " somewhere in there, a punctuation thing.
    Otherwise, post the code

Its the error code from the compillier from asm to hex in mplabs. This is the full error code

Code:
     Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite\MPAsmWin.exe" /q /p16F688 "OLYMPICS.ASM" /l"OLYMPICS.lst" /e"OLYMPICS.err" /o"OLYMPICS.o"
    Warning[215] C:\PBP\16F876A.INC 20 : Processor superseded by command line.  Verify processor symbol.
    Message[301] C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROCHIP\MPASM SUITE\P16F876A.INC 36 : MESSAGE: (Processor-header file mismatch.  Verify selected processor.)
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\PBPPIC14.LIB 7421 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 571 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 587 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 604 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 607 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 613 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 571 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 587 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 604 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 607 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 613 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 517 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 522 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 529 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 517 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 522 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 529 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 637 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 643 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 659 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 676 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 679 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 685 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 637 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 643 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 659 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 676 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 679 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex
    Error[151]   C:\PBP\OLYMPICS.ASM 685 : Operand contains unresolvable labels or is too complex

BUILD FAILED: Mon Oct 20 18:03:13 2008
    So from what you said its proberly just a coding error somwhere, I shall go and have a look in the coding again!
    Was just making sure that the error didn't mean i had used up all of the memory on the chip, its getting a bit long now at 468 lines! Ive never had such a large projet so i dont know what happens when you fill the chip up to the brim!

Breaking the forum too now! got The text that you have entered is too long (174172 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long.
    come up when i tried to post so had to chop the code but you get the idea!

skimask Guest

Looks to me like you've got one PIC selected for compiling/assembling, but have the code written for another PIC.

Code:
    Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite\MPAsmWin.exe" /q /p16F688 "OLYMPICS.ASM" /l"OLYMPICS.lst" /e"OLYMPICS.err" /o"OLYMPICS.o"
    Warning[215] C:\PBP\16F876A.INC 20 : Processor superseded by command line.  Verify processor symbol.
    Message[301] C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROCHIP\MPASM SUITE\P16F876A.INC 36 : MESSAGE: (Processor-header file mismatch.  Verify selected processor.)
    Was just making sure that the error didn't mean i had used up all of the memory on the chip, its getting a bit long now at 468 lines! Ive never had such a large projet so i dont know what happens when you fill the chip up to the brim!
    My latest project is up to 5,600 lines now. I'd guess another 4,000 or so to go. MCS and/or PBP and/or MPLAB will let you know when it gets too long.
    Last edited by skimask; - 20th October 2008 at 18:40.

ok now thats just weird!

I hadnt changed anything for that to happen......

I just went through the programe and commented out all the code i added and removed the comments one by one and it compilied fine........

I must be being haunted or somthing :s

But thanks alot for your time!

It's good to know im not runnign out of space just yet! I had a look at those youtube vids of your latest project the other day and they realy are scary the amount of work and knowledge in them!
    Last edited by chrisshortys; - 20th October 2008 at 18:45.

Well i ran out of memory at around 700 lines
    Now the code i have at the moment isn't that far but im getting close!
    so i'm after any advice on the code i have on ways of doing the same thing without using as much memory!
    Would using tables on menus help reduce space as i still have ALOT of coding to do!
    I know the code is quite fragmented and not well ordered but I had planned to rewrite it its just me making a beta of it at the moment!

cheers!

Code:
    ' ' Olympic Timer
    ' =============
    ' Melanie Newman
    ' 05/Aug/2004
    ' Modified by Chris Hammersley
    ' For Spec-ops.nl
    ' Oct 2008
    ' Topical Program demonstrates use of Interrupt
    ' Driven Background TIMER, to time events down to
    ' one one-hundredth of a Second (1/100 Sec).
    '
    ' Bonus CALIBRATION Feature allows simple adjustments
    ' in 360mS steps per hour. This calibration adjustment
    ' range is limited to +/- 36 seconds per Hour.
    '
    ' This program is for 4MHz clock (1uS Timer Ticks).

'Original programe includes a calibratable stop clock counting upwards. 

'MODIFICATIONS
    '-------------
    'V1.1 23rd october 2008
    'Working menu selecting game length with 2 presets and a customisable
    'Count down clock.
    'Programe knows when time is up and goto new instructions.
    ' PIC Defines
    '
    '
    'V1.2 Ongoing
    'GAME TYPES MENU INCLUDED
    'INCLUDED THE CODING FOR BOTH COUNT-DOWN AND COUNT-UP CLOCKS
    '
    'V1.3 FUTURE
    'INCLUDE RF OPERATIONS
    '
    ' ===========
    '
    ' Change these defines to suit your chosen PIC
    '
    '@ DEVICE pic16F876a, WDT_ON ' Watchdog Timer
    '@ DEVICE pic16F876a, PWRT_ON ' Power-On Timer
    '@ DEVICE pic16F876a, BOD_ON ' Brown-Out Detect
    '@ DEVICE pic16F876a, LVP_OFF ' Low-Voltage Programming
    '@ DEVICE pic16F876a, CPD_OFF ' Data Memory Code Protect
    '@ DEVICE pic16F876a, PROTECT_OFF
    ' Program Code Protection
    '@ DEVICE pic16F876a, WRT_OFF ' Flash Memory Word Enable

'
    ' Hardware Defines
    ' ================

CMCON=%00000111
    CVRCON=%00000000 
    '
    ' LCD Display
    ' -----------
    ' Adjust these to suit your chosen LCD pinout
    '

' Control Buttons/Lines
    ' ---------------------
    '
    ' Hold the RESET Button pressed for at least FIVE seconds
    ' to jump into CALIBRATION Mode
    '
    ' Software Defines
    ' ----------------
    BannerOffset var BYTE ' Variable holding start address of Banner Display
    CounterA var BYTE ' Just a Counter
    CounterB var BYTE ' Just a Counter
    CounterC var BYTE
    DataA var BYTE
    Hours var BYTE
    Hundredths var BYTE
    Minutes var BYTE
    OverflowError var BIT
    RunningFlag var BIT
    Seconds var BYTE
    SetupTimeOut var WORD ' Timeout counter for Calibration/Set-Up Mode
    TMR1Cal var BYTE ' Calibration Value
    IHOURS VAR BYTE
    IMINUTES VAR BYTE
    TIMER VAR BYTE

TMR1CalAR var Byte ' Calibration 0=ADVANCE, 1=RETARD
    TMR1RunOn var WORD ' variable holding TMR1 Run-On value
    '
    ' EEPROM Presets
    ' --------------
    Data @0,0 ' Advance/Retard Indicator
    Data 0 ' Calibration Value
    Data "Spec-ops.nl Tactical Game Aid - Enter Game Length"
    '
    ' Software Constants
    ' ------------------
    TMR1CalMax con 100 ' Maximum adjustment (+/-100uS per 10mS interrupt)
    TMR1Preset con $D910 ' 10mS Timer Reload value, offset by 20uS
    ' to allow for TMR1 Setting Calculations
    '
    ' Start Program
    ' =============
    '
    ' Initialise Processor
    ' --------------------
    TRISA=%00000000
    TRISB=%00000000
    TRISC=%00011111
    ADCON0=%11000000
    ADCON1=%00000111
    OPTION_REG.7=0 ' Enable Pull-Up's
    RunningFlag=0 ' Disable actual Interrupt Time-Keeping
    Pause 1000 ' Pause for LCD to initialise
    '
    ' Silly Intro Banner just for Fun
    ' -------------------------------
    LCDOut $FE,1 ' Clear LCD
    BannerOffset=2:Gosub DisplayBanner
    Pause 2000
    For CounterA=0 to 33
    BannerOffset=2+CounterA
    Gosub DisplayBanner
    Pause 350		'pause between change of characters
    Next CounterA
    Pause 4000
    '----------------
    'Menu and Presets
    '----------------
    '
    'MAIN MENU
    '---------
    MAINMENU:
    PAUSE 1000

MAINMENUA:
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, "   SELECT MENU"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,"COUNTDOWN"
    PAUSE 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO MENUA
    ENDIF
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN
    GOTO MAINMENUB
    ENDIF
    GOTO MAINMENUA

MAINMENUB:
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, "   SELECT MENU:"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,"   COUNT UP"
    PAUSE 100
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    GOTO MAINMENU
    ENDIF
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    TIMER=1
    PAUSE 20
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO BEGINNING
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    PAUSE 50
    GOTO MAINMENUB

Second half of code

Code:
    'COUNTDOWN MENU
    '--------------

MenuA:
    PAUSE 1000
    TIMER=0

MENUCD:
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, "    Preset 1"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,"00:30:00.00"
    pause 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO preset1
    ENDIF
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    GOTO CUSTOMA
    ENDIF
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN
    GOTO PRESET2
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO MAINMENU
    ENDIF
    GOTO MENUCD

CUSTOMA:
    PAUSE 1000
    CUSTOMB:
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, "CUSTOM TIME"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,"ENTER A CUSTOM TIME"
    PAUSE 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO CUSTOM
    ENDIF
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    GOTO PRESET2
    ENDIF
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN
    GOTO MENUCD
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO MAINMENU
    ENDIF
    PAUSE 50
    GOTO CUSTOMB
    PRESET1:
    PAUSE 1000
    PRESET1A
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, "Accept Preset 1?"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,"00:30:00.00"
    PAUSE 100

IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO PRESET1set
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO MENUCD
    ENDIF
    GOTO PRESET1A

PRESET1SET:
    IHOURS=0
    IMINUTES=30
    PAUSE 50
    GOTO CONTINUE
    '---------------------------
    PRESET2:
    PAUSE 1000
    PRESET2A
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, "    Preset 2"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,"00:45:00.00"
    PAUSE 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO PRESET2A
    ENDIF
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN
    GOTO CUSTOMA
    ENDIF
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    GOTO menuCD
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO MAINMENU
    ENDIF
    GOTO PRESET2A

PRESET2B:
    PAUSE 1000
    PRESET2C
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, "Accept Preset 2?"
    LCDOut $FE,$C0,"00:45:00.00"
    PAUSE 100

IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO PRESET2SET
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO MENUCD
    ENDIF
    GOTO PRESET2C

PRESET2SET:
    IHOURS=0
    IMINUTES=45
    PAUSE 50
    GOTO CONTINUE

'
    ' Custom Time Setup
    CUSTOM:
    PAUSE 1000

IHOURS=0
    IMINUTES=3

HOURSI:
    If Butup=0 then 
    IHOURS=IHOURS+1
    endif
    If BUTDWN=0 THEN
    IHOURS=IHOURS-1
    ENDIF
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO MINSA
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO MENUA
    ENDIF
    pause 50
    GOSUB TIMESETUP
    GOTO HOURSI

MINSA:
    PAUSE 1000

MINSI:
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES+1
    ENDIF
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN
    IMINUTES=IMINUTES-1
    ENDIF
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN
    GOTO HOURSI
    ENDIF
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO CONTINUE
    ENDIF
    PAUSE 50
    GOSUB TIMESETUP
    GOTO MINSI

timesetup:
    pause 50
    PAUSE 50
    REturn

Continue:

pause 6000

BEGINNING
    '
    ' Initialise TMR1 Interrupts*******************************************************************************************
    ' --------------------------
    Gosub SetTimer ' Set the Timer for next 10mS Interrupt
    IF TIMER=1 THEN
    On Interrupt goto TickCountUP
    ELSE
    On Interrupt goto TickCount
    ENDIF
    PIE1.0=1 ' Enable TMR1 Interrupts
    INTCON.6=1 ' Enable all unmasked Interrupts
    INTCON.7=1 ' Enable Global Interrupts
    '
    ' -----------------------------------------------------
    ' Following the above "On Interrupt", no Basic Command
    ' is allowed that takes more than 10mS to execute
    ' otherwise the 10mS Interrupt interval is compromised.
    ' -----------------------------------------------------
    '
    ' Reset Timer Variables for Start
    ' -------------------------------
    DisplayReset:
    LCDOut $FE,1 ' Clear LCD
    Read 0,TMR1CalAR ' Read Calibration Advance/Retard Indicator
    Read 1,TMR1Cal ' Read Calibration Value
    Hundredths=0 ' Reset Timer Counter variables
    Seconds=0
    Minutes=IMINUTES
    Hours=IHOURS
    OverflowError=0
    '
    ' Main Program Loop
    ' =================
    Enable
    DisplayLoop:
    If ButStart=0 then RunningFlag=1
    If ButStop=0 then RunningFlag=0
    LCDOut $FE,$80,DEC2 Hours,":",DEC2 Minutes,":",DEC2 Seconds,".",DEC2 Hundredths

If OverflowError=1 then
    If Seconds.0=1 then
    LCDOut $FE,$8C,"ERR"
    else
    LCDOut $FE,$8C," "
    endif
    endif
    If RunningFlag=1 then goto DisplayLoop
    If ButReset=1 then goto DisplayLoop
    Disable
    '
    ' Reset Clock
    ' ===========
    ' Momentarily Press the Reset Button for RESET action.
    ' Continue holding the Reset Button for MORE than 5 seconds
    ' to jump into Calibration/Set-Up Mode
    '
    ResetClock:
    LCDOut $FE,1,"Reset OK"
    Pause 1000
    Seconds=1
    While Seconds < 5
    Pause 1000
    If ButReset=1 then goto DisplayReset
    Seconds=Seconds+1
    Wend
    '
    ' Calibration Adjustment
    ' ======================
    ' If No Button is Pressed for 20 Seconds, then the program
    ' will automatically exit Calibration/Set-Up Mode WITHOUT saving
    ' any new values.
    '
    SetUpTimeout=0
    Calibration:
    LCDOut $FE,1,"Calibrate: "
    While ButReset=0:Wend ' Wait for User to release finger
    CalibrationLoop:
    LCDOut $FE,$8B
    If TMR1Cal=0 then
    LCDOut " "
    else
    If TMR1CalAR=0 then
    LCDOut "+"
    else
    LCDOut "-"
    endif
    endif
    LCDOut #TMR1Cal," "
    ' ----------------------------------------------------------
    ' Press Start Button to ADVANCE (speed-up) Clock
    ' Press STOP Button to RETARD (slow-down) Clock
    ' Press RESET Button to SAVE new Calibration Setting
    ' Remember each Calibration 'tick' will advance or
    ' retard the Timing by 1uS in every 10mS period - that's
    ' 360mS/Hour per setting. Example: A setting of +8 will
    ' SPEED-UP the Timer by 2.88 Seconds (8 x 360mS) in an Hour.
    If TMR1CalAR=0 then
    If ButStart=0 then Gosub CalAdvance
    If ButStop=0 then Gosub CalRetard
    else
    If ButStart=0 then Gosub CalRetard
    If ButStop=0 then Gosub CalAdvance
    endif
    If ButReset=0 then
    Write 0,TMR1CalAR
    Write 1,TMR1Cal
    LCDOut $FE,1,"Have a Nice Day"
    Pause 1000
    Goto DisplayReset
    endif
    SetupTimeout=SetupTimeout+1
    If SetupTimeout>200 then goto DisplayReset
    Pause 100
    Goto CalibrationLoop

'
    ' Subroutine Increments Calibration Value
    ' ---------------------------------------
    CalAdvance:
    SetupTimeout=0
    If TMR1Cal=>TMR1CalMax then
    TMR1Cal=TMR1cALmAX
    TMR1CalAR=TMR1CalAR^1
    else
    TMR1Cal=TMR1Cal+1
    endif
    Return
    '
    ' Subroutine Decrements Calibration Value
    ' ---------------------------------------
    CalRetard:
    SetupTimeout=0
    If TMR1Cal=0 then
    TMR1Cal=1
    TMR1CalAR=TMR1CalAR^1
    else
    TMR1Cal=TMR1Cal-1
    endif
    Return
    '
    ' Subroutine Displays Banner Intro
    ' --------------------------------
    DisplayBanner:
    CounterC=BannerOffset+15
    LCDOut $FE,$80
    For CounterB=BannerOffset to CounterC
    Read CounterB,DataA
    LCDOut DataA
    Next CounterB
    Return
    '
    ' Subroutine Loads TMR1 values
    ' ============================
    SetTimer:
    T1CON.0=0 ' Stop the Clock
    TMR1RunOn.Highbyte=TMR1H ' Load the Run-On (Over-Run) value (if any)
    TMR1RunOn.Lowbyte=TMR1L
    TMR1RunOn=TMR1Preset+TMR1RunOn
    ' Calculate the New (adjusted) value for TMR1
    If TMR1CalAR=0 then ' Calibration ADVANCE (add) or RETARD (subtract)
    TMR1RunOn=TMR1RunOn+TMR1Cal
    else
    TMR1RunOn=TMR1RunOn-TMR1Cal
    endif
    TMR1H=TMR1RunOn.Highbyte ' Save new values to TMR1
    TMR1L=TMR1RunOn.Lowbyte
    T1CON.0=1 ' Restart the Clock
    PIR1.0=0 ' Reset TMR1's Interupt Flag
    Return
    '
    ' Timer Interrupt Handler
    ' =======================
    TickCount:
    If RunningFlag=1 then ' If timing actually enabled... then...

IF HUNDREDTHS=0 THEN
    IF SECONDS=0 THEN
    IF MINUTES=0 THEN
    IF HOURS=0 THEN
    GOTO TIMEUP
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF

If seconds=0 then
    hundredths=0
    'goSUB timeup
    else
    Hundredths=Hundredths-1
    ' Increment 10mS Seconds Counter
    If Hundredths=0 then
    Hundredths=99
    seconds=seconds-1
    endif
    endif

' Increment the Seconds

If minutes>0 then

If Seconds=0 then
    Seconds=59
    minutes=minutes-1
    endif
    endif

If hours>0 then

If Minutes=0 then
    Minutes=59
    hours=hours-1
    endif
    endif

If Hours>99 then
    ' Handle any Overflow
    Hours=0
    OverFlowError=1
    endif
    endif
    Resume

timeup: 
    	LCDOUT $FE,$C0 
    	LCDOUT "Time is up"
    	GOTO timeup

TickCountUP:
    Hundredths=Hundredths+1
    ' Increment 10mS Seconds Counter
    If Hundredths>99 then
    Hundredths=0
    Seconds=Seconds+1
    ' Increment the Seconds
    If Seconds>59 then
    Seconds=0
    Minutes=Minutes+1
    ' Increment the Minutes
    If Minutes>59 then
    Minutes=0
    Hours=Hours+1
    ' Increment the Hours
    If Hours>99 then
    ' Handle any Overflow
    Hours=0
    OverFlowError=1
    endif
    endif
    endif
    endif
    endif
    Resume
    End

If you have a load of Text screen/Menus, you have few choices

1. using a bigger PIC
    2. using an external EEPROM to store your Text
    3. use the following method --- http://www.pbpgroup.com/modules/wfse...p?articleid=10

HTH
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

skimask Guest

Well i ran out of memory at around 700 lines
    When you say you ran out of memory, do you mean you ran out of code space or variable space?

Wink

Hi,

Add to that you have same "patterns" written numerous times ... write them once and call them each time you need ...

each LCDOUT eats a lot of codespace ...

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

skimask Guest

DT's gonna love this

Code:
    DEFINE LCD_DREG PORTB 		'Define PIC port used for LCD Data lines
    DEFINE LCD_DBIT 4 		'Define first pin of portb connected to LCD DB4
    DEFINE LCD_RSREG PORTB 		'Define PIC port used for RS line of LCD
    DEFINE LCD_RSBIT 3 		'Define Portb pin used for RS connection
    DEFINE LCD_EREG PORTB 		'Define PIC prot used for E line of LCD
    DEFINE LCD_EBIT 0 		'Define PortB pin used for E connection
    DEFINE LCD_BITS 4 		'Define the 4 bit communication mode to LCD
    DEFINE LCD_LINES 2 		'Define using a 2 line LCD
    DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 2000 	'Define delay between sending LCD commands
    DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 50 		'Define delay time between data sent.
    CMCON=7 : CVRCON=0 : ButStart var Portc.0 : ButStop var Portc.1
    ButReset var Portc.2 : Butup var portc.3 : Butdwn var portc.4
    BannerOffset var BYTE : CounterA var BYTE : CounterB var BYTE
    CounterC var BYTE : DataA var BYTE : Hours var BYTE
    Hundredths var BYTE : Minutes var BYTE : OverflowError var BIT : RunningFlag var BIT
    Seconds var BYTE : SetupTimeOut var WORD : TMR1Cal var BYTE : IHOURS VAR BYTE
    IMINUTES VAR BYTE : TIMER VAR BYTE : TMR1CalAR var Byte : TMR1RunOn var WORD
    Data @0,0 ' Advance/Retard Indicator
    Data 0 ' Calibration Value
    Data "Spec-ops.nl Tactical Game Aid - Enter Game Length"
    TMR1CalMax con 100 : TMR1Preset con $D910 : TRISA=0 : TRISB=0 : TRISC=31
    ADCON0=192 : ADCON1=7 : OPTION_REG.7=0 : RunningFlag=0 : Pause 1000
    gosub clearlcd : BannerOffset=2 : Gosub DisplayBanner : Pause 2000
    For CounterA=0 to 33 : BannerOffset=2+CounterA : Gosub DisplayBanner : Pause 350
    Next CounterA : Pause 4000
    MAINMENU:	PAUSE 1000
    MAINMENUA:	gosub selectmenu : gosub setline2 : LCDOut "COUNTDOWN"
    PAUSE 100 : IF BUTSTART=0 THEN MENUA
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN MAINMENUB
    GOTO MAINMENUA
    MAINMENUB:	gosub selectmenu : gosub setline2 : LCDOut "   COUNT UP"
    PAUSE 100 : IF BUTDWN=0 THEN MAINMENU
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    TIMER=1 : PAUSE 20
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN
    GOTO BEGINNING
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    PAUSE 50 : GOTO MAINMENUB
    MenuA:	PAUSE 1000 : TIMER=0
    MENUCD:	gosub clearlcd : LCDOUT "    Preset 1" : gosub show30minutes : pause 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN preset1
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN CUSTOMA
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN PRESET2
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN MAINMENU
    GOTO MENUCD
    CUSTOMA:	PAUSE 1000
    CUSTOMB:	gosub clearlcd : LCDOUT "CUSTOM TIME" : gosub setline2
    LCDOut "ENTER A CUSTOM TIME" : PAUSE 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN CUSTOM
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN PRESET2
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN MENUCD
    PAUSE 50 : GOTO CUSTOMB
    PRESET1:	PAUSE 1000
    PRESET1A:	gosub acceptpreset1 : gosub show30minutes : PAUSE 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN PRESET1set
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN MENUCD
    GOTO PRESET1A
    PRESET1SET:	IHOURS=0 : IMINUTES=30 : PAUSE 50 : GOTO CONTINUE
    PRESET2:	PAUSE 1000
    PRESET2A:	gosub clearlcd : LCDOUT "    Preset 2" : gosub show45minutes
    PAUSE 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN PRESET2A
    IF BUTUP=0 THEN CUSTOMA
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN menuCD
    GOTO PRESET2A
    PRESET2B:	PAUSE 1000
    PRESET2C:	gosub acceptpreset2 : gosub show45minutes : PAUSE 100
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN PRESET2SET
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN MENUCD
    GOTO PRESET2C
    PRESET2SET:	IHOURS=0 : IMINUTES=45 : PAUSE 50 : GOTO CONTINUE
    CUSTOM: 	PAUSE 1000 : IHOURS=0 : IMINUTES=3
    HOURSI:	If Butup=0 then IHOURS=IHOURS+1
    If BUTDWN=0 THEN IHOURS=IHOURS-1
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN MINSA
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN MENUA
    pause 50 : GOSUB TIMESETUP : GOTO HOURSI
    MINSA:	PAUSE 1000
    MINSI:	IF BUTUP=0 THEN IMINUTES=IMINUTES+1
    IF BUTDWN=0 THEN IMINUTES=IMINUTES-1
    IF BUTRESET=0 THEN HOURSI
    IF BUTSTART=0 THEN CONTINUE
    PAUSE 50 : GOSUB TIMESETUP : GOTO MINSI
    timesetup:	pause 50 : gosub clearlcd : LCDOUT "GAME LENGTH" : gosub showhoursminutes : PAUSE 50 : REturn
    Continue:	gosub clearlcd : LCDOUT "Settings Saved" : gosub showhoursminutes
    pause 6000
    BEGINNING:	Gosub SetTimer ' Set the Timer for next 10mS Interrupt
    IF TIMER=1 THEN
    On Interrupt goto TickCountUP
    ELSE
    On Interrupt goto TickCount
    ENDIF
    PIE1.0=1 : INTCON.6=1 : INTCON.7=1 ' Enable Global Interrupts
    DisplayReset:	gosub clearlcd : Read 0,TMR1CalAR : Read 1,TMR1Cal : Hundredths=0
    Seconds=0 : Minutes=IMINUTES
    Hours=IHOURS : OverflowError=0
    Enable
    DisplayLoop:	If ButStart=0 then RunningFlag=1
    If ButStop=0 then RunningFlag=0
    LCDOut $FE,$80,DEC2 Hours,":",DEC2 Minutes,":",DEC2 Seconds,".",DEC2 Hundredths
    If OverflowError=1 then
    If Seconds.0=1 then
    LCDOut $FE,$8C,"ERR"
    else
    LCDOut $FE,$8C," "
    endif
    endif
    If RunningFlag=1 then goto DisplayLoop
    If ButReset=1 then goto DisplayLoop
    Disable
    ResetClock:	LCDOut $FE,1,"Reset OK" : Pause 1000 : Seconds=1
    While Seconds < 5
    Pause 1000 : If ButReset=1 then goto DisplayReset
    Seconds=Seconds+1
    Wend
    SetUpTimeout=0
    Calibration:	LCDOut $FE,1,"Calibrate: "
    While ButReset=0:Wend ' Wait for User to release finger
    CalibrationLoop:	LCDOut $FE,$8B
    If TMR1Cal=0 then
    LCDOut " "
    else
    If TMR1CalAR=0 then
    LCDOut "+"
    else
    LCDOut "-"
    endif
    endif
    LCDOut #TMR1Cal," "
    If TMR1CalAR=0 then
    If ButStart=0 then Gosub CalAdvance
    If ButStop=0 then Gosub CalRetard
    else
    If ButStart=0 then Gosub CalRetard
    If ButStop=0 then Gosub CalAdvance
    endif
    If ButReset=0 then
    Write 0,TMR1CalAR : PAUSE 10 : Write 1,TMR1Cal : PAUSE 10
    LCDOut $FE,1,"Have a Nice Day" : Pause 1000
    Goto DisplayReset
    endif
    SetupTimeout=SetupTimeout+1 : If SetupTimeout>200 then goto DisplayReset
    Pause 100 : Goto CalibrationLoop
    CalAdvance:	SetupTimeout=0
    If TMR1Cal=>TMR1CalMax then
    TMR1Cal=TMR1cALmAX : TMR1CalAR=TMR1CalAR^1
    else
    TMR1Cal=TMR1Cal+1
    endif
    Return
    CalRetard:	SetupTimeout=0
    If TMR1Cal=0 then
    TMR1Cal=1 : TMR1CalAR=TMR1CalAR^1
    else
    TMR1Cal=TMR1Cal-1
    endif
    Return
    DisplayBanner:	CounterC=BannerOffset+15 : gosub setline1 : For CounterB=BannerOffset to CounterC
    Read CounterB,DataA : LCDOut DataA : Next CounterB : Return
    SetTimer:	T1CON.0=0 : TMR1RunOn.Highbyte=TMR1H : TMR1RunOn.Lowbyte=TMR1L : TMR1RunOn=TMR1Preset+TMR1RunOn
    If TMR1CalAR=0 then ' Calibration ADVANCE (add) or RETARD (subtract)
    TMR1RunOn=TMR1RunOn+TMR1Cal
    else
    TMR1RunOn=TMR1RunOn-TMR1Cal
    endif
    TMR1H=TMR1RunOn.Highbyte : TMR1L=TMR1RunOn.Lowbyte : T1CON.0=1 : PIR1.0=0
    Return
    TickCount:	Gosub SetTimer ' Set the Timer for next 10mS Interrupt
    IF HUNDREDTHS=0 THEN
    IF SECONDS=0 THEN
    IF MINUTES=0 THEN
    IF HOURS=0 THEN
    GOTO TIMEUP
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    ENDIF
    If seconds=0 then
    hundredths=0
    else
    Hundredths=Hundredths-1
    If Hundredths=0 then
    Hundredths=99 : seconds=seconds-1
    endif
    endif
    If minutes>0 then
    If Seconds=0 then
    Seconds=59 : minutes=minutes-1
    endif
    endif
    If hours>0 then
    If Minutes=0 then
    Minutes=59 : hours=hours-1
    endif
    endif
    If Hours>99 then
    Hours=0 : OverFlowError=1
    endif
    endif
    Resume
    timeup: gosub setline2 : LCDOUT "Time is up" : GOTO timeup
    TickCountUP:	Gosub SetTimer ' Set the Timer for next 10mS Interrupt
    Hundredths=Hundredths+1
    If Hundredths>99 then
    Hundredths=0
    Seconds=Seconds+1
    If Seconds>59 then
    Seconds=0
    Minutes=Minutes+1
    If Minutes>59 then
    Minutes=0
    Hours=Hours+1
    If Hours>99 then
    Hours=0
    OverFlowError=1
    endif
    endif
    endif
    endif
    endif
    Resume
    clearlcd: lcdout $fe,1 : return
    setline1: lcdout $fe,$80 : return
    setline2: lcdout $fe,$c0 : return
    selectmenu: gosub clearlcd : LCDOUT "   SELECT MENU" : return
    acceptpreset: gosub clearlcd : lcdout "Accept Preset  ?" : return
    acceptpreset1: gosub acceptpreset : lcdout $fe , $8e , "1" : return
    acceptpreset2: gosub acceptpreset : lcdout $fe , $8e , "2" : return
    show30minutes: gosub setline2 : lcdout "00:30:00.00" : return
    show45minutes: gosub show30minutes : lcdout $fe , $c3 , "45" : return
    showhoursminutes: LCDOut $FE,$C0,DEC2 IHours,":",DEC2 IMinutes,":00.00" : return
    End
    Just a small example of how some small changes can save some big space...

Thanks for all the replies guys!

If you have a load of Text screen/Menus, you have few choices

1. using a bigger PIC
    2. using an external EEPROM to store your Text
    3. use the following method --- http://www.pbpgroup.com/modules/wfse...p?articleid=10

HTH
    1. Could be somthing to try if all else fails. i have a number of p16f876A's sitting in my draw and would rather use them untill other routes have been used!
    2. EEPROM? im guessing thats external memory? i havnt ventured anywhere near that yet! I'm still trying to learn the basics in programing before i move too far out!
    3. I think i shall try having a closer look at this after work friday and see if i can make heads or tales of it!

When you say you ran out of memory, do you mean you ran out of code space or variable space?
    When i went to assemble from basic to assm i got an error code along the lines of "fatal error: memory full

Hi,

Add to that you have same "patterns" written numerous times ... write them once and call them each time you need ...

each LCDOUT eats a lot of codespace ...

Alain
    Sory once again my lack of understanding showing through!

Could you give me a small example i could see please?

Just a small example of how some small changes can save some big space...
    So is it the blank lines that cause extra space to be used or is it the coding being on all seperate lines?

thanks again people!

skimask Guest

2. EEPROM? im guessing thats external memory? i havnt ventured anywhere near that yet! I'm still trying to learn the basics in programing before i move too far out!
    Read the 16F877A datasheet

When i went to assemble from basic to assm i got an error code along the lines of "fatal error: memory full
    "along the lines of" kinda leave it open to interpretation...

Could you give me a small example i could see please?
    Search...search...search...

So is it the blank lines that cause extra space to be used or is it the coding being on all seperate lines?
    No, nothing to do with it. I hate vertically scrolling on the PC, so I pack it all in.

Well i havnt been able to do any coding for a little while but i have been thinking of ways of altering my code.

I have a quick question now.

When you set up a piece of information in the coding say you use:

example var word

now i know you can do things like:

if butstart=0 then
    example=8
    end if

and you can send this to a LCD or use it for what ever you need.

Now my question is can you do the same for an actual word?
    e.g.

if butstart=0 then
    example=hello
    end if

then when using the LCDOUT command have it refer to "example"?

sory if i havnt made this very clear but im struggling with try to explain what exactly i mean...

From what I understand of your explanation... If hello is a variable or a constant, then yes it works.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    From what I understand of your explanation... If hello is a variable or a constant, then yes it works.
    Hi Guys, I think he wants to call a string. In which case, you could put each letter in an array.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

This might make it a little clearer:

Code:
    tempcode:

if butstart=0 then
    text="start"           <<<<<<<<<<<
    endif

if butstop=0 then
    text= "stop"           <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    endif

if butreset=0 then
    text= "reset"         <<<<<<<<<
    endif

gosub lcdcontrol
    goto tempcode

lcdcontrol:
    	LCDOUT $FE, 1, data <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    	pause 20
    return
    But im getting a error: Bad expression on the following lines marked above with a <<<<<

That's because "start" is a 5 byte string and it will not fit in a byte or word variable. It will fit into a 5 byte array.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

ok well i had text deffined as a word so that will be why then!

So how do you use a 5 byte array?

Also the words that im currecntly using will be replaced and could be upo 16 characters long!

There's always different thought for x problem, if it was me, i would use one of the next approach.

1. Store Text string in internal or external EEPROM, Text variable would return the start address of your text string. Your string should be terminated by a NULL (or 0), so when you call the Display routine, it just read from the eeprom, show it, go to next character and continue untill it reach the NULL (0).

2. Almost like the above, but storing text String in the codespace. Something around the following
    http://www.pbpgroup.com/modules/wfse...p?articleid=10 There's quite a few version of it on this forum.
    Last edited by mister_e; - 10th November 2008 at 18:58.
    Steve

Thanks for that mister_e!

ok so i have the code as this now:

'************************************************* ***************
    '* Name : STRINGS.PBP *
    '* Author : Darrel Taylor / John Barrat *
    '* Date : 5/30/2003 *
    '* Note: Strings must be NULL Terminated *
    '************************************************* ***************
    DEFINE LOADER_USED 1 ' If using bootloader
    DEFINE OSC 4
    DEFINE HSER_TXSTA 24h ' Use this for Higher Baud Rates
    DEFINE HSER_SPBRG 25 ' 9600 Baud at 4mhz
    '
    DEFINE LCD_DREG PORTB 'Define PIC port used for LCD Data lines
    DEFINE LCD_DBIT 4 'Define first pin of portb connected to LCD DB4
    DEFINE LCD_RSREG PORTB 'Define PIC port used for RS line of LCD
    DEFINE LCD_RSBIT 3 'Define Portb pin used for RS connection
    DEFINE LCD_EREG PORTB 'Define PIC prot used for E line of LCD
    DEFINE LCD_EBIT 0 'Define PortB pin used for E connection
    DEFINE LCD_BITS 4 'Define the 4 bit communication mode to LCD
    DEFINE LCD_LINES 2 'Define using a 2 line LCD
    DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 2000 'Define delay between sending LCD commands
    DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 50 'Define delay time between data sent.

' Control Buttons/Lines
    ' ---------------------
    ButStart var Portc.0 ' Take this pin low momentarily to START timing
    ButStop var Portc.1 ' Take this pin low momentarily to STOP timing
    ButReset var Portc.2 ' Take this pin low momentarily to RESET clock
    Butup var portc.3 ' Take this pin low momentarily to increase clock time
    Butdwn var portc.4 ' Take this pin low momentarily to decrease clock time

Addr var word
    TwoChars var word
    Char var byte

Clear

goto StartLoop ' Required

String1:
    @ da "This is a string",0

AnotherString:
    @ da "Here is another string",0

'------------GetAddress Macro - Location insensitive -------------------------
    ASM
    GetAddress macro Label, Wout ; Returns the Address of a Label as a Word
    CHK?RP Wout
    movlw low Label
    movwf Wout
    movlw High Label
    movwf Wout + 1
    endm
    ENDASM

StartLoop ' This loop repeats continuously just as a test.
    @ GetAddress _String1, _Addr ' Get address of String
    gosub StringOut ' Send the String
    hserout [13,10] ' New Line

@ GetAddress _AnotherString, _Addr ' Get address of String
    hserout [13,10] ' New Line
    pause 500
    goto StartLoop ' Repeat

StringOut: ' Send the string out via Hserout
    Readcode Addr, TwoChars ' Get the 14 bit packed characters
    Char = TwoChars >> 7 ' Separate first char
    if Char = 0 then StringDone ' Look for Null char, Stop if found
    hserout [Char] ' Send first char
    Char = TwoChars & $7F ' Separate second char
    hserout [Char] ' Send the second char
    Addr = Addr + 1 ' Point to next two characters
    goto StringOut ' Continue with rest of the string
    StringDone:
    return

end
    If somone could point a way to a LCDOUT command to display one of the strings on there it would be greatly appreciated! As i have tried a few ways but due to my lack of understanding fail

replacing HSEROUT with LCDOUT should work?

Which PIC you work with? The above is for 16F
    Steve

Im using the P16F876A

i tried

StartLoop ' This loop repeats continuously just as a test.
    @ GetAddress _String1, _Addr ' Get address of String
    LCDOUT $FE, 1, [13,10] ' New Line

LCDOUT $FE, 1, [13,10] ' New Line
    pause 500
    goto StartLoop ' Repeat

but this just gave me a bad expression

you don't need those square brackets []
    try something like...
    Code:
    Start
        LCDOUT $FE,1  ' Here you place your LCD cusor where you want
        pause 500
        goto Start ' Repeat

StringOut: ' Send the string out via Hserout
        Readcode Addr, TwoChars ' Get the 14 bit packed characters
        Char = TwoChars >> 7 ' Separate first char
        LCDOUT Char ' Send first char
        Char = TwoChars & $7F ' Separate second char
        LCDOUT Char ' Send the second char
        Addr = Addr + 1 ' Point to next two characters
        goto StringOut ' Continue with rest of the string
    StringDone:
        return
    Steve

ok thanks again!
    I shall try that when i get in again tonight!

Hi Chris, sorry for the delay, good old ATT DSL service is intermittant and they won't fix it. First of all, Mister_e is right, as usual, storing strings in eeprom is a good way to do it, I was only trying to explain why you're way would not work for you. You could in theory, create a byte array to hold all the letters of the alphabet and then display them as groups of individual letter variables, you could. Or you could make individual variables representing words like stop go start etc. Many roads to Valhalla.
    Last edited by Archangel; - 10th November 2008 at 21:26. Reason: misstype

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    Hi Chris, sorry for the delay, good old ATT DSL service is intermittant and they won't fix it. First of all, Mister_e is right, as usual, storing strings in eeprom is a good way to do it, I was only trying to explain why you're way would not work for you. You could in theory, create a byte array to hold all the letters of the alphabet and then display them as groups of individual letter variables, you could. Or you could make individual variables representing words like stop go start etc. Many roads to Valhalla.
    Well thanks alot for the reply! I know there is always many a way to do one job when it comes to coding and im hoping by the help on the forums i can get a much broader variation on the methods i use!
    So yes any ideas are very welcome
    Especially if they come with little snips of code which helps me to understand

mister_e i tried that code and yep all good thank you very much!
    Tommorrow night i shall play around with it some more and try to get different things when different buttons are pushed etc!

Well thanks alot for the reply! I know there is always many a way to do one job when it comes to coding and im hoping by the help on the forums i can get a much broader variation on the methods i use!
    So yes any ideas are very welcome
    Especially if they come with little snips of code which helps me to understand

mister_e i tried that code and yep all good thank you very much!
    Tommorrow night i shall play around with it some more and try to get different things when different buttons are pushed etc!
    OK Chris look this over:http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8876

Well i thougth i would try another approach and see if this is possible. I have tried to create a lookup table but I'm having problems with this. The code starts to work, when i press a button it goes to the table, it goes to the location and it then only displays the first character
    Am i missing somthing or is this a dead end?

Code:

' Control Buttons/Lines
    ' ---------------------

b0 var word
    w0 var word

Start:

Lookup2 B0, ["hello", "help", "sory", "no"], W0 

If ButStart=0 then