24c16 vs 24lc256 and serial wire identification

Closed Thread

Angry 24c16 vs 24lc256 and serial wire identification

hello picbasic pro users
    i am working on t jackson's scrolling message display and i cant get a 24lc256 serial eeprom, but i am hoping to use a 24c16 serial eeprom, apart from the limitation of code space, do you think i will have any problem? i see that they have same control codes from the datasheet and i know that lc as in 24lc256 is just for extended voltage range. i dont know about page write feature yet. i just want to know if the codes for t jackson 245 led matrix project will work with this serial eeprom i have.

secondly i cant seems to identify the rs232 female connector to the individual colored wire. with 9 pin female db9 connector there are just six color coded wires coming out from the output. i tried using continuity test to link a wire to a pin but that is not working, some pins reads continuity to some wires and others will not, that makes it difficult for me to identify the rx,tx and signal grouind to the color coded wires.i did be glad if anyone can help

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Well, since you seem to have some sort of Internet access, then you probably already know that a 24LC256 serial EEPROM has a storage capability of 256K-bits, whereas a 24C16 has a storage capability of 8K-bits, since you probably already downloaded the datasheets and compared the differences between the two devices.
    You can't get a 24xx256 serial eeprom? This chip has been out for literally decades. What prevents you from acquiring this device?

Default re:24c16 vs 24lc256

the problem is that in some part of the world knowledge is not as wide spread as some of us take forgranted. most time where i live supply of parts is influenced by items that easily get damaged on your home appliances and others not by one hobbist wanting to design or implement a new concept and then thinking the illiterate or semi literate supplier will stock his shop with ic's that no other person may ask for in the next 100 years. i hope you get the picture.

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by inspired4real View Post
    the problem is that in some part of the world knowledge is not as wide spread as some of us take forgranted. most time where i live supply of parts is influenced by items that easily get damaged on your home appliances and others not by one hobbist wanting to design or implement a new concept and then thinking the illiterate or semi literate supplier will stock his shop with ic's that no other person may ask for in the next 100 years. i hope you get the picture.
    Well, since you have internet access of some sort, it seems to me it would be easy enough to order, via the web, almost anything...unless of course there is some sort of trade embargo or some other political B.S. going on that we don't know about, since, like Fez on That 70's Show, we don't exactly know where you're at and/or coming from...
    Besides...if the circuit was set up for a 24LC256, dontcha think that a 24c16 might not have the capacity to do the same job?