Time to upgrade Programmer

Closed Thread

Default Time to upgrade Programmer

Hello everyone,
    My trusty JDM clone has apparently reached it's limitations as it refuses to program an 18F4550, so I will defer to your expertise and opinions for advise as to which to purchase. It only has to program, and would prefer not to have a lot of off board cables and adapters.
    Thank you in advance,
    JS
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hi Joe,

As always, the PICKIT2. Getting to be all I use anymore.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    Hi Joe,
    As always, the PICKIT2. Getting to be all I use anymore.
    Yep, PICKIT2. That little built in analyzer has saved my butt a few times since they came out with that firmware. And the price is right too...

ICSP - That's using a bootloader, yes? Will the PICKIT2 work as a straight programmer like the JDM? How do I load the bootloader, and what about chips that do not support bootloader?
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    ICSP - That's using a bootloader, yes? Will the PICKIT2 work as a straight programmer like the JDM? How do I load the bootloader, and what about chips that do not support bootloader?
    ICSP - not completely. ICSP - In-Circuit Serial Programming. All it means is that you don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting the programmer between code rewrites/fixes, etc. The instructions for modifying an existing circuit (or creating one for that matter are in the PICKIT2 'manual').

Yep, like the next post says, better to say that you don't have to plug and unplug the PIC that you're programming.

Basically, you either isolate (or don't use) PGC/PGD or set it up so that the programmer doesn't try to drive anything important on PGC/PGD, MCLR gets isolated with a diode and a small resistor, Vdd can be left connected as normal as long as your circuit doesn't draw too much current.
    The way I do mine is as follows:
    PGC/PGD get 100 ohm resistor out to the circuit and they're connected directly to the programmer socket. That way I don't try to drive anything on PGC/PGD (RB6/RB7) with the programmer.
    MCLR has a diode and 100 ohms from +5v to the MCLR pin, with MCLR connected directly to the socket. The programmer can't try to backfeed the +5v rail with Vpp from the programmer.
    PIC Vdd has a diode from +5v to the Vdd pins and the Vdd pins are directly connected to the programmer socket. Lets the programmer power the PIC during programmer but keeps it from trying to power the entire circuit. If the circuit is small enough, I omit the diode on Vdd and let it power it anyways. I've been powering my circuit with the PICKIT2, drawing a bit over 100mA from it on the +5v rail for awhile now and it's still working without any problems.
    Last edited by skimask; - 29th June 2008 at 18:59. Reason: EDIT: Changed it up a bit according to next post :)

Quote Originally Posted by skimask View Post
    ICSP - not completely. ICSP - In-Circuit Serial Programming. All it means is that you don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting the programmer between code rewrites/fixes, etc. ...
    This is a bit optimistic, I believe. ICSP means you don't have to remove the PIC from the circuit to reprogram it. It does not necessarily mean the circuit will run with the programmer plugged in, though. A lot of that depends on the connections and the CONFIG settings, and the circuit voltage. (Not all PIC circuits run at 5v...)

Another vote for the PicKit 2. It can run and program at voltages down to 2.5v. Very handy for the new 18F J series pics.

I now only have ICSP connection on projects and have made up a couple of header to IC sockets for when I need to program a PIC out of circuit.

Also the built in Logic Tool is worth the asking price alone.

bill.

Well Gentlemen, and Ladies,
    It seems the consences is PICKIT2
    I guess that's in my near future.
    Thank You to All who responded.
    JS