Electrical Current Does Prevent Corrosion?

Closed Thread
    T.Jackson Guest

Post Electrical Current Does Prevent Corrosion?

I think many people are sceptically about the thought of electrical current being used to prevent rust. Until recently I was one of them. A few months back, after digging out half a dozen or so rather large printed circuit boards that I had in storage for almost 10yrs, arcade game boards that were working perfectly before they went into storage now ceased to work! On quick inspection I found lots and lots of corrosion!

Ironically, during the course of those 10yrs I took one of them out periodically, say every couple of months or so, and fired it up! I ran a short dose of electrical current through it and then placed it back in storage right along side of the others. Guess what? -- it's the only one that didn't have any rust and as a result still works! So there you have it, 6 boards that are all dead because of corrosion and 1 board that's in the same condition as it was 10yrs ago.

Gotta make you wonder -- maybe the long debated claim of electrical rust prevention isn't all that 'hocus-pocus' after all...
    Last edited by T.Jackson; - 17th March 2008 at 04:00.

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by T.Jackson View Post
    Gotta make you wonder -- maybe the long debated claim of electrical rust prevention isn't all that 'hocus-pocus' after all...
    I've got an upper control arm for a '74 Chevy Malibu sitting out in the garage right now, in a plastic tub full of water with a little bit of 'Arm & Hammer' washing soda mixed in. The negative clamp of a 12v/10amp battery charger is connected to the control arm, the positive clamp of the charger is connected to a steel rod (standard concrete rebar) in the water.
    The rust is 'boiling' off the part as I type. Another day or so and it should be rust free and ready for paint.
    I've already done this to the both lower control arms, the other upper control arm, the car's original battery tray (which after de-rusting had to be throw out...not enough solid metal left!), upper and lower radiator supports, and numerous other bolts, nuts, pieces/parts throughout the vehicle.
    It's not rust prevention...but it sure as heck is rust removal...

And...to add a bit onto this (only because a bunch of other people I've told about this think it's the wonder cure for rust)...
    ...NO...it does NOT replace the metal with brand new metal
    ...NO...it does NOT convert the rust to usable metal
    All it does is cause the rust (the actual iron oxide) to liberate from the steel connected to the negative terminal to migrate to the steel connected to the positive terminal.The rebar gets rusted by the process and I have to scrape it off every once in awhile, clean it up, or throw it out. But it's rebar and it's cheap.

Hi Trent,

Were all the board manufactured using the same technique?
    Same day, same production line, same solder, same protection
    against corrosion, same components, same ..., same....?

Best regards,

Luciano

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Hi Trent,

Were all the board manufactured using the same technique?
    Same day, same production line, same solder, same protection
    against corrosion, same components, same ..., same....?

Best regards,

Luciano
    Hi Luciano,

That's interesting that you ask that, because all of the rusted boards were high quality Japanese made (circa 1990) but the one that's still alive (the one I periodically fired up) was made in Korea (circa 1983!) using very cheap components mounted on what appeared to be a second class board compared to the others in my opinion. So there's even more proof!, and more reason not to judge something from its price tag.

Best regards,

Trent

A good stiff brush might bring the boards back to life, I will bet that rust is not the only problem. Tin Whiskers.

Should not be a debate when it is basic chemistry, or electro chemistry.

It is not so much from forcing a current through to prevent corrosion as it is more of giving the charge between dissimilar metal a path to flow to.

Look up underground piping. Here in the US it is even in the building codes for gas stations as an example. The steel piping is required to be grounded in certain places with an anode in other places. The layout of the job determines the placement.

The same applies to water tanks if they are not lined with a coating of some sort or a bladder.

So when you power a board a path is created from the positive potential to the negative potential.

The example skimask gave shows how a forcing of current effects things, more along the line of electroplating, ( in his case as he said, he is not plating ) but it is still working on the theory of ionic exchange. I say theory because we currently use stuff from Dalton, but we may find that Keely is also correct. There is something to debate
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    A good stiff brush might bring the boards back to life, I will bet that rust is not the only problem. Tin Whiskers.
    Should not be a debate when it is basic chemistry, or electro chemistry.
    Beyond economical repair as I like to put it. On a few of them the corrosion had set in so bad that the pins on some of the ics just fell off as soon as I removed them from their sockets. I know of one person who has a b.sci degree and publicizes that electronic rust prevention for cars is hoax. So I can't agree that it comes down to basic chemistry unfortunately.

On a few of them the corrosion had set in so bad that the pins on some of the ics just fell off as soon as I removed them from their sockets.
    Yep, guess the brush job is out.
    electronic rust prevention for cars is hoax
    After looking this up (never heard of it for cars) I will agree with that statement.
    Ask you friend to tell you about the real uses of Cathodic Protection. It is as real as electroplating.
    Dave

T.Jackson Guest

After looking this up (never heard of it for cars) I will agree with that statement.
    Like these pieces of wire that you can buy on eBay for $20 that supposedly give your car an extra 25+ HP by fooling the ECU into thinking that air-intake is much colder than it really is. I can't understand how these guys are allowed to get away with this on eBay. Worse still many people are so brain washed with this load of kacka, and so desperate to get extra power on the cheap that they actually believe it works! Err ... now I know why the head blew at only 50,000 Kms

I know there is a fancy way of saying it, but us hill folk just say
    "ya better watch your a_ _ "
    Dave

T.Jackson Guest

It's absolutely unbelievable, I think because they're turning over that many sales, the negative feedback that disappointed people leave gets swamped by the feedback from terribly naive customers, willing to bet that they haven't installed or fully investigated the product before leaving feedback.

T.Jackson Guest

Only problem with that is, you tell someone to watch their back today, tomorrow they end up getting murdered by someone (they finally crossed the wrong person) -- the next day you're a bloody murder suspect because of the remark you made. It just ain't worth it.

Only problem with that is, you tell someone to watch their back today, tomorrow they end up getting murdered by someone (they finally crossed the wrong person) -- the next day you're a bloody murder suspect because of the remark you made. It just ain't worth it.
    aaaaa.... murder?
    I was referring to "buyer beware" but my Latin is terrible.
    Dave

skimask Guest

Like these pieces of wire that you can buy on eBay for $20 that supposedly give your car an extra 25+ HP by fooling the ECU into thinking that air-intake is much colder than it really is.
    A guy I used to work with bought one of those 'electric superchargers'...said it worked awesome!!! And he showed me...over and over, 'cause it was so awesome!
    I timed him over a couple of 1/4-mile-ish runs with the unit out of the vehicle, then with it installed again. Of course, you know what the results were...no speed increase at all...
    Still didn't convince him though... So I did the 'manometer' thing and showed him exactly how much pressure increase he was getting...slim and none. He still swears by it...(idiot)...
    And as far as I know...those wire things on eBay. If I'm right, there's 2 versions... The one you mentioned for the simulated cold air, and the other one supposedly puts a parallel resistance inline with the TPS to trip the computer into open-loop mode at less of a throttle angle than normal.
    Any other good ones?

T.Jackson Guest

aaaaa.... murder?
    I was referring to "buyer beware" but my Latin is terrible.
    Metaphorically speaking there is little difference between the two premises. But it does take a lot more guts to say "watch your back" in anger to a person who has done you wrong than it does to casually say it to a friend in order to warn them of something. I guess also that you could argue that one is a "threat" while the other is a "warning", but they both could imply the same thing which would of course depent on context. Language is very interesting to think about, and I'm probably doing way too much of it
    Last edited by T.Jackson; - 18th March 2008 at 13:38.