frustrated!!! HI ALL

Closed Thread

Default frustrated!!! HI ALL

I have the pickit2 starter kit just got it 2 days ago I am as new to this as you can get. My question is where do i start i have read alot of stuff on pic basic and still not much of it makes any sense to me. I have gotten the led to blink and several of the programs included in the lpc lessons. BUT they are their programs and i cant figure out a place to write anything to try my own program (not that i have one) im just trying to learn to crawl and i cant even role over.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Smile First some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jagger View Post
    I have the pickit2 starter kit just got it 2 days ago I am as new to this as you can get. My question is where do i start i have read alot of stuff on pic basic and still not much of it makes any sense to me. I have gotten the led to blink and several of the programs included in the lpc lessons. BUT they are their programs and i cant figure out a place to write anything to try my own program (not that i have one) im just trying to learn to crawl and i cant even role over.
    Hi jagger,

Welcome to the world of the PIC Microchip.

First some questions.

“lpc lessons”? Is that referring to
    “Low Pin Count (LPC) Demo Board”, that comes with the PICkit2

What version of PicBASIC do you have
    Pic BASIC Pro
    Pic BASIC compiler
    Pic BASIC Pro trial

Are you using a Pic BASIC editor, like MicoCode Studio
    MicroCode Studio
    MicroCode Studio Plus

Generally the higher level code (BASIC) is typed into an editor. You could use NotePad, but a specialized editor is much easier to use.

MicroCode Studio
    Pic BASIC
    http://www.rentron.com/

-Adam-
    Ohm it's not just a good idea... it's the LAW !

yes lpc demo board the kit i have has 2 disks one says mplab ide v7.60a the other sayspickit starter kit that is all i got. sorry for the stupid questions

Do I need to download something else?

Smile The forum is here to answer questions...

Quote Originally Posted by jagger View Post
    yes lpc demo board the kit i have has 2 disks one says mplab ide v7.60a the other sayspickit starter kit that is all i got. sorry for the stupid questions
    Hi jagger,

The only stupid questions, are the ones you DON’T ask. The forum is here to answer questions.

Yes, you should download a bunch of stuff.

First you should know:
    The compiler that changes the BASIC you type, into something, that the free software from Microchip, can change into PIC language (HEX) is pretty expensive.
    At least for a hobbyist’s budget, Pic BASIC Pro seems expensive.
    Almost everyone on this (Pic BASIC Pro (PBP)) forum has bought the software, and most would tell you it is worth the money.

Without SOME kind of a “higher level” language compiler, you will have to write your code in “assembly” language. Do-able but a steep learning curve. MPLAB has an editor for assembly language.

Pic BASIC Pro, (BASIC compiler) is available as a limited “lite” demo-type FREE down load. This is to let you try a few short programs, but not for any longer complicated ones.

I hope others come in and help you with advice, and opinion. I think PBP is well worth the INVESTMENT about $249 USD.

MicroCode Studio = File Editor/IDE for the PicBasic compilers
    They have an entry level free for hobbist, not so powerful as the MicroCode Studio Plus.

There is a newer MPLAB something like 8.0 or higer (free)

You can search for them on the internet.

Who else has some advice for jagger?

-Adam-
    Last edited by Pic_User; - 2nd February 2008 at 00:21. Reason: added the all important word FREE
    Ohm it's not just a good idea... it's the LAW !

Smile

Hi Adam,

If you have the time I would say keep going. You're doing just fine.

Jagger, PICUser is right. Going to PicBasicPro is the better way to go. I spent alot of money starting with Basic Stamps then moved up to PicBasic then onto PBP. What a way to learn but for me it was worth it.

The people here will help you out. But since PicUser started out, I'll let him continue.

BobK

Thanks Guys

Hi Jagger,
    Please allow me to chime in on this, They're right, it is worth the money, but do not just take my word for it, go to M E Labs and download the freebie version and try it out. Do not get suckered into buying someone else's old disc, you are not legally licensed to use it as the software license is not transferrable, and not upgradeable, I would suggest for you to buy from Reynolds Electronics . . RENTRON . . . Bruce is a regular ( one of the gurus) and I think he charges a little less, than M E Labs website, he is an authorised reseller and an altogether good guy. On his website too are numerous freebie to use examples, as well as on M E Labs website there are samples too.
    JS
    http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/prod...CBASIC-PRO.htm
    Last edited by Archangel; - 2nd February 2008 at 04:49.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.