Serial Peripheral Interface

Closed Thread

Default Serial Peripheral Interface

Hi,

I am new to PIC's and am in the process of trying to replace a BS2SX stamp with a 18F4520. We need the additional storage space. I need to be able to communicate with an external Hitachi compass module to extract heading info and a Parallax GPS module for location. In reading the 18F4520 datasheet they talk about SSPI. This seems to be the thing for the communication that I need to accomplish. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there some code written somewhere that I could use as a guide to get started? I have the PICBASIC Pro compiler if that is a help.

Thank

DonD

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DonD View Post
    am new to PIC's.....BS2SX stamp with a 18F4520. We need the additional storage space. I need to be able to communicate with an external Hitachi compass module to extract heading info and a Parallax GPS module for location.
    Far as I know, those modules talk using standard serial (I.e. UART, not SPI).
    Get ahold of the datasheets for the modules, figure out how they 'talk' and make the PIC 'talk back'. Easy stuff.
    But...
    I am new to PIC's and am in the process of trying to replace a BS2SX stamp with a 18F4520
    Do yourself a favor...Work your way UP to using PBP/PIC's to talk serially to external modules.
    Make an LED blink first, read a button, display something on an LCD, and so on and so on.
    Seen it time and time again...jumping in with both feet doesn't work.
    And even though the Stamp's and PBP/PIC's are very similar, they are quite different animals.