x10 - europe FYI

Closed Thread

Lightbulb x10 - europe FYI

Hi,

I recently bought a XM10E of Marmitek (TW-523) and was using the Xout commands.
    Unfortunately it didn't seem to work.
    After reading through the forum a member mentioned something about the "timing in the library file" for the Xout function.
    I changed the timing settings and all worked like a charm.

What I did was altering the value 1770 to 2325 in the pbppic14.lib (xout)

Regards,

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jrt4fun View Post
    Hi,

I recently bought a XM10E of Marmitek (TW-523) and was using the Xout commands.
    Unfortunately it didn't seem to work.
    After reading through the forum a member mentioned something about the "timing in the library file" for the Xout function.
    I changed the timing settings and all worked like a charm.

What I did was altering the value 1770 to 2325 in the pbppic14.lib (xout)

Regards,
    Can you post the schematic for (TW-523)?

The schematics for both the TW523 and PL513 are in the <A HREF="ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/technicalnote.pdf">technicalnote.pdf</A> available on the X-10 website.

Quote Originally Posted by dhouston View Post
    The schematics for both the TW523 and PL513 are in the <A HREF="ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/technicalnote.pdf">technicalnote.pdf</A> available on the X-10 website.
    The schematics are too complicated, do you have simple one?

Quote Originally Posted by eleckits View Post
    The schematics are too complicated, do you have simple one?
    I don't know how one simplifies a schematic without omitting components. I'm afraid it is what it is. There are simplified block diagrams of both devices on p8 of the PDF.

What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps someone can make suggestions once they know that.

I don't know how one simplifies a schematic without omitting components. I'm afraid it is what it is. There are simplified block diagrams of both devices on p8 of the PDF.

What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps someone can make suggestions once they know that.
    I am looking for a schematic which is simple, because this circuit is too complicated and has many coils.

Are you trying to build your own PIC-based X-10 interface to the power line? If so, there are some people here who have done that who might be willing to share if you can provide details such as power line voltage and frequency.

Are you trying to build your own PIC-based X-10 interface to the power line? If so, there are some people here who have done that who might be willing to share if you can provide details such as power line voltage and frequency.

Yes, I want to do this, would you please give me one?

I appreciate your replies and your interests

You still haven't provided any details so I don't know whether you are dealing with 120VAC/60Hz or 230VAC/50Hz mains.

Here are URLs to several datasheets, application notes, and schematics of some X-10 PLC interfaces. They show various techniques for coupling to the powerline. While some are for FSK and/or obsolete parts, the powerline interface details still apply to X-10 and ASK modulation.Anand Dhuru, who posts here, has designed PIC-based X-10 interfaces and may be willing to share details.

Anand Dhuru, who posts here, has designed PIC-based X-10 interfaces and may be willing to share details.
    Thanks, Dave.

Yes, I can indeed give pointers in this area.

The PL513 is a transmit-only interface. The reason the schematic looks somewhat complex is, first, it has optos to isolate the controller from the mains, and secondly, it generates its own 120 khz modulatoin so that you dont have to.

I, with Darrel's help managed to modify the .lib file so that the XOUT signal on a pin comes out pre-modulated at 120 khz. Now, its a simple matter of coupling it to the mains. For this, I used a simple transformer used in AM radios (the one with a white slug).

I'm sorry I dont have a part number for the transformer; Dave with his experience in RF could perhaps specify one.

If you go the route I did (minus the optos) be *very* careful with safety aspects. My controller was completely self contained (including the pic), and so I could afford a tranformerless-opto-less design.

This circuit from Nuts'N'Volts would perhaps help.

Regards,

Anand
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Digikey (among others) seem to stock this part.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/666...vxa042yuk.html

Regards,

Anand

I meant to mention the Nuts & Volts article but couldn't find my notes on it.

This is the three winding transformer used by X-10.

http://aeneas.com.cn/PDF/SUMIDA/GENE...nformation.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ardhuru View Post
    Thanks, Dave.

Yes, I can indeed give pointers in this area.

The PL513 is a transmit-only interface. The reason the schematic looks somewhat complex is, first, it has optos to isolate the controller from the mains, and secondly, it generates its own 120 khz modulatoin so that you dont have to.

I, with Darrel's help managed to modify the .lib file so that the XOUT signal on a pin comes out pre-modulated at 120 khz. Now, its a simple matter of coupling it to the mains. For this, I used a simple transformer used in AM radios (the one with a white slug).

I'm sorry I dont have a part number for the transformer; Dave with his experience in RF could perhaps specify one.

If you go the route I did (minus the optos) be *very* careful with safety aspects. My controller was completely self contained (including the pic), and so I could afford a tranformerless-opto-less design.

This circuit from Nuts'N'Volts would perhaps help.

Regards,

Anand
    Would you please give me the date of article for x10 which published at nuts and volts?