Microcode studio and USB pics

Closed Thread

Red face Microcode studio and USB pics

I want to program a 18f2550 (or any other pic ) which is supported by my ME labs programmer but is not in the drop down menu of microcode studio. I have been compiling programs in microcode studio under some other pic name and then switching to the 2550 for the programmer. This works for simple things, like an LED flasher but more specific commands like USB, the program will not compile under a different device name. In other words how do you use USB pics with microcode studio?

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by KPDes View Post
    I want to program a 18f2550 (or any other pic ) which is supported by my ME labs programmer but is not in the drop down menu of microcode studio. I have been compiling programs in microcode studio under some other pic name and then switching to the 2550 for the programmer. This works for simple things, like an LED flasher but more specific commands like USB, the program will not compile under a different device name. In other words how do you use USB pics with microcode studio?
    Download the latest version.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I tried that before I made this post. I just tried it again and made sure it was the latest version ( 3.0.0.0) from the Mecanique web site and the usb pics still wont come up. Do you have to use Microcode Studio plus? Other than that I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks for the help
    -kyle

skimask Guest

I tried that before I made this post. I just tried it again and made sure it was the latest version ( 3.0.0.0) from the Mecanique web site and the usb pics still wont come up. Do you have to use Microcode Studio plus? Other than that I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks for the help
    -kyle
    Which version of PBP do you have?

PB pro 2.45

skimask Guest

PB pro 2.45

You might notice here http://www.melabs.com/support/upgrade.htm that the '2550 isn't supported until 2.46.
    Spend the ~$25 and get an upgrade...

There is a difference between compiling a program for a PIC and programming a PIC. In the former case you are creating a program (which is very much chip dependent) and in the latter you are attempting to place that chip dependent program into the correct chip.

If, as I read into your posting, you are compiling a program for chip type A, and then trying to stuff that program into chip type B, then you are skating on thin ice. Indeed, I'm surprised that you've even managed to blink a LED like that and any kind of success would be pure chance.

Always check this list... http://www.melabs.com/support/upgrade.htm

If your version of PBP doesn't support the particular chip of your choice (and in your case version 2.45 doesn't support 18F2550) then it's not likely to work. Upgrade your product and it'll work properly as advertised.

OK, skimask beats me to the salient comment!

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    OK, skimask beats me to the salient comment!
    Well, you could always delete my last post! ffffffffffffftttt....

As for writing a program for one PIC, compiling for another, and programming in yet another type...been there, done that, more than a few times Lots of headaches...
    (and I learned a new word today...You're good for that aren't ya! )