Student Final Project Need help

Closed Thread
    marco Guest

Post Student Final Project Need help

Hi, guys

I am currently working on my final project, and I do need some help.
    Ihave to build an IR remote control extender. I successfully transmit and receive my signal from the remote without the 40KHz but now I need some help in putting back that 40KHz to the signal at the ouput of my receiver.

I WANTED to use the microcontroller in a way that whenever its senses a logic high, it will output a 40KHz signal.

I have NO EXPERIENCE what so ever with MICROCONTROLLER and looking for some advise on if its possible to use a micro controller for that application.
    Thx
    Last edited by marco; - 28th March 2007 at 16:58.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

If you have built a video transmitter a 40KHz oscillator should be a piece of cake. What do you need a micro controller for?

When the IR receiver receives an input, that could then start the 40KHz oscillator via transistor to an IR LED to extend the range.

Again, if you have built the video components, why do you have to ask about IR?

Or, have you got a bunch of stuff pre-built and ran a few cables?
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default I think he is not transmitting video @ 40Khz

Hi,

He is actually querying for the IR extender part. Its good that he wants to use a microcontroller. Otherwise he could just use a 555 timer IC to generate the 40KHz for lighting up his IR LEDs. Marco please note you need a duty cycle between 10 and 20 % to get effective IR beaming. And your receiver expects that. That is receivers (depends on which one used) may fail at a 50% duty cycle.

For the 555 thing try this link http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/T...TimerCalc.html also most receivers are centered around 38KHz not 40KHz. Use the reset pin (4) of 555 to switch on-off your IR.

For a PIC choose any one that has got a Hardware PWM model and few lines of code should. A quick recall 16F819 , internal oscillator HPWM.

P.S. - Marco it is high time to learn a micro. If your college does not have a copy of PBP ask them to get one. You will find many people here extending there support.
    Last edited by sougata; - 28th March 2007 at 10:09.
    Regards

Sougata

Quote Originally Posted by sougata View Post
    Hi,

He is actually querying for the IR extender part.
    This I know.

My point was ... If the student can build a video transmitter, and yes, I do not think he is using 40KHz for the video. Why does he need a micro controller?

I still think the easy way is to have a photo-diode receiver trigger a transistor ( or 555 ) then out to IR led. Duty cycle and frequency does not change. True extender. The store bought receiver on the equipment will never know the difference.

Be glad to help with a micro solution, but things will get complicated for a first time project.

I would imagine that the remote has more than one function to send? How many? Now if pulsin this pulin that then pwm this and that.

It might help to think of a linear amplifier, but with no amp. Same signal in as out.
    Dave

This is a link to what I am talking about.

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circui...face/irext.htm

I have not tried this circuit, but it is the right concept.
    Dave

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    Hi, guys
    I am currently working on my final project, and I do need some help.
    I am building a wireless video transmitter, in this project i also have to build an IR remote control extender. My video system is near to be done and my main problem is with the IR remote. I successfully transmit and receive my signal from the remote without the 40KHz but now I need some help in putting back that 40KHz to the signal at the ouput of my receiver.
    I wanted to use the microcontroller in a way that whenever its senses a logic high, it will output a 40KHz signal.
    I have no experience what so ever with micro controller, looking for some advise on where to start or even a new approach of doing it.
    Thx
    Key words here:
    Student - Final Project - No experience what so ever
    I assume you are in some sort of higher learning facility with plenty of instructors, other students and various other resources available to you.
    And you can't think of a single way to generate, on command, a 40khz signal.
    I can think of 4 off the top of my head...
    How many years and how much $$$ have you wasted at this institution?

Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Hi Marco,

Although I too think a PIC would be an overkill to do the job, and a 555 works admirably, here's a link that does pretty much what you want.

http://www.petesworld.demon.co.uk/ho...rol%20Repeater

Regards,

Anand