Can It Be this SIMPLE? (the Off-Topic continuation) - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I'm of the opinion that if motor car manufacturers linked the volume control of the ICE (In Car Entertainment) to the speedo, they could in turn lose 100kg (OK it's 2kg but I'm making a point) of soundproofing from under the hood, resulting in cheaper vehicles, improved fuel consumption, fewer emissions and overall be nice to the planet... remember you heard it here first!

Bah, who needs Unleaded, Catalytic Converters and alternative energy sources when you've got lateral thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    I'm of the opinion that if motor car manufacturers linked the volume control of the ICE (In Car Entertainment) to the speedo,
    They do in some cars and it is really annoying.

I have had a couple of hire cars that have been like that and have been cruising along with the radio cranked up high enough to drown out my awful singing and then had to slow down for a roundabout. The volume drops right down low then as you speed up again the radio gets louder to compensate for the increased road noise but doesnt go back to where you had it set previously

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lynch
    “Gangster-Rap”
    Everyone always mis-spells that particular genre.... they miss out the "C" that should be 4th from the end
    Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
    www.kat5.tv

I've seen TV commercials about some convertible sports car that has the
    speed responsive audio, the commercial makes a big deal of it, I thought it
    was so you could hear the police car behind you
    (the one thats been trying to pull you over for the last 10 miles)
    when you came to a Traffic Light, never thought about drowning out engine noise.
    Last edited by Mike_Lynch; - 24th August 2006 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by keithdoxey
    They do in some cars and it is really annoying.
    yeah many GM do that here... and like ALL GM stuff.. it's annoying and innefficient.

I have had a couple of hire cars that have been like that and have been cruising along with the radio cranked up high enough to drown out my awful singing and then had to slow down for a roundabout. The volume drops right down low then as you speed up again the radio gets louder to compensate for the increased road noise but doesnt go back to where you had it set previously
    I'm one of those who have those noisy kit. BUT i crank up the volume on the highway or in not-residential area. Funny! I'm still young in my heart

Everyone always mis-spells that particular genre.... they miss out the "C" that should be 4th from the end
    I agree. I'm dee-jay in night club. I hate hip hop, rnb and all of those no-sense music. It's just slow, no beat at all, says nothing intelligent... but usually pretty girls sing it or are in the video of those Sean Paul and Pals... Yo Yo... phat, Chill out... etc. But as girls are involved and as they dance on the dance-floor... guys will dance too and just confirm the rule... they think with their 'xxxx' So, even if it's not what i call music... i do great show in the club!

Hip Hop : we have no choice to live with. it's getting more and more popular each year. I thought it was going to die few years ago... NOPE! This is why i also work in some 'after-hour' night club to keep smile in my face by playing some house/techno or some other not-commercial-dedicated music.

About car, gas and such... one day or another, we will have no other choice than using something else than gaz... but will we be still alive... i'm not sure, maybe our child (not i don't have... well i think ).

It's sad but we are victim... even for alternative energy... we are customer, we have to pay the price it cost... period.
    Last edited by mister_e; - 25th August 2006 at 03:14.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by mel
    I do my bit... I turn the lights off in the Bedroom when I go to bed (saving 200W), but I keep the air-con running (burning 3kW)
    200w for a bedroom!

My bedroom is 12ft*12ft and was light by a 60w bulb, now it has a 15w energy efficient bulb that has equiv 70watt light output!

Those must be subsidised because our local netto store (netto.co.uk) sells them for 47p/$0.25, I buy two every trip and a have a cupboard full, they last about a year even though they claim longer.

As for air-con, MOVE! think of the savings.....(I know its not always possible)

We've just had a really hot summer for us, hitting 36c for about a week, I did the unthinkable and went out and bought a pedestal fan....

Even my car does not have air-con, Air-con is another planet killer, its hot, so you use energy to pump out more heat into the local area, cooking everyone else, making them turn on their air-con...........

You sit in traffic in a car, turn on the air-con, pump out hot air to all the cars stuck in traffic around you, who turn on air-con....

whoever invented air-con, well.........

Now transportation, I drive a big car, 2.1ltr turbo diesel, old but efficient at about 40mpg.(Citroen XM)(AFAIK never sold stateside) and pay about $370 a year tax just for ownership, its less for smaller engines/cars.

Best fuel for it is oil seed rape (canola oil?) but corn oil and sunflower oil are good also but if you run it on that it smells like french fries, oddly corn oil makes it smell like popcorn...

If I did that, I would get up-to a $4000 fine, my car impounded and possibly crushed for evading the paying of road fuel tax, unless I register as an experimental fuel producer and voluntarily keep record of what I burn and pay the required tax, which should be bio-fuel rate of £0.27/$0.50 a ltr, unfortunately our tax office do not officially recognise plant oil / waste cooking oil as a bio fuel(!) and so want standard road fuel tax rate of $0.43/$0.90 a ltr tax. (plant oils have nearly a 0 carbon footprint, IE they are only releasing the carbon that they previously absorbed)
    Last edited by f_lez; - 25th August 2006 at 05:51.

Quote Originally Posted by f_lez
    whoever invented air-con, well.........
    Isn’t air conditioning an offshoot of refrigeration?

Without refrigeration we (I) would have to make a lot more trips to the store to buy Fresh Meat,
    Dairy, Produce Products (burning more Gas). Trucks would have to bring the products to market
    more often, (Burning More Gas). Products which come from producers FAR away would never
    make it to market before spoiling. There would be NO Ice-Cream, Frozen Yogurt.
    (NO Ice-Cream may just trigger the downfall of civilization as we know it.)
    Look at all the products in your cupboard / pantry that say “refrigerate after opening” on the label.
    Would you want to purchase those in “one time use” package sizes, resulting in more waste in the
    landfills and requiring the burning of more gas to haul to the dump? No Ice for your soda, no cold beer,
    (NO COLD BEER would be worse than no Ice-cream) Look in your refrigerator / ice box and
    think about all the things that you wouldn’t be able to have or keep for more than a day or so.

Smile

Is there a particular topic here or we are just shooting for free and adding couple of quotes?
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

This is free-for-all thread, the PIC controlled dragster is on the other one.

Like all good pub/club conversations (this one sadly doesn't serve alcohol or Turkish coffee), it starts with the price of gas and ends up fixing global warming, whether Pluto has enough mass to be called a planet or a skinny dog, and finally revealing Osama Bin Ladens hideout.

Sayzer,
    I think it rather turned into a free shot zone after being replicated into the OFF TOPIC
    Area. What’s on your mind? I’m generally attempting to stay within the confines of
    Energy Conservation, but did digress into the “loud music and cars” which was preceded by
    a question about alternate energy development in countries other than the USA.

Like Melanie said, (Thanks Melanie, Nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that one.
    So, Pluto is a skinny dog now, is that OFFICIAL or is that just Walt’s version of the story?)

Default Energy Conservation:Tele-Commuting

How many people could realistically Telecommute for the majority of their workweek ?
    Myself being primarily a Field Technician of sorts don’t see it happening. . .

Client on the phone: “You want ME to unplug the system from the wall, take a SCREWDRIVER and do WHAT?”

One “US” PC manufacturer Headquartered in TEXAS, tried that for a while, they may still, I don’t know,
    I once worked for a company who contracted a LOT of their Field Service Warranty Work.
    Remote Control repair of PC systems, requiring component replacement, generally doesn’t work well.

The AVERAGE End User of a PC can't (or just will not) count the Pins on a DB25 Connector.

If you are at all technically adept and you are calling a PC company’s help desk for technical support,
    the first thing you should say is “Put the SCRIPT Down, Get Me Tier Two!”
    Last edited by Mike_Lynch; - 25th August 2006 at 14:53.

I think two thousand cartoon fans met in Czechoslovakia (or in the country formerly known as) earlier this week and decided that Pluto was a dog.

Oh, tech support, you mean this kind of thing... (warning - don't click if you're afraid of a little bad language!), but if you work with clients you probably get a version of this at least once a day.

http://www.daujones.com/sounds/helpdesk.mp3

. . . .Czechoslovakia (or in the country formerly known as) . . . .

That brings up another question, Where do i get parts for my YUGO now?

You're obviously on the wrong side of the Atlantic Mike, over here in Yew-rope we managed to figure that Yugo's came from Yugoslavia (on the basis that the first four letters matched-up). Thankfully for Skoda's, they weren't left with a branding dillema when the country split.

I was going to bring out "chicken from egg or egg from chicken" but Pluto sounds better to me.

Edit : Also, "why Melanie always appears to be offline although she is online?" could be another one.
    Last edited by sayzer; - 25th August 2006 at 15:22.
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

I've borrowed a Klingon cloaking device...

Default Yugo

Thanks for the correction Mel,

Most likely a "Memory Page Fault @ Location: FF16FF03 FF8FF47F"
    on my part, had that car about 20 years ago.

Funny Thing: At one point the pipe broke at the exhaust header flange weld,
    sounded like a HUGE sewing machine at "high" speed. Can't help but wonder
    if that had anything to do with the fad (here in the states at least) of LARGE
    diameter Loud pipes on Imports? I did manage to get another 10 ~15 MPH
    out of the thing before repair.

You mean you didnt create your own using PBP ?

Or is that too "on topic" to be allowed in this thread
    Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
    www.kat5.tv

Default "Science reveals secrets of invisibility"

In a few years, you will no longer need borrow that device. You will just buy one!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science...ity/index.html

Thanks to nano tech and to the people who are able to play with it.

]There would be NO Ice-Cream, Frozen Yogurt.
    (NO Ice-Cream may just trigger the downfall of civilization as we know it.)

Look at all the products in your cupboard / pantry that say “refrigerate after opening” on the label.

(NO COLD BEER would be worse than no Ice-cream) Look in your refrigerator / ice box and
    think about all the things that you wouldn’t be able to have or keep for more than a day or so.
    My granny never had a fridge, we had a celler, it was cooler down their and thats where she kept things that needed to be cooler.

I can see that without ice cream etc etc but thats because we are used to having it, at the expense of the planet.

Ice cream is the new planet killer (tm)

I just think we are not doing it right, we should not be trying to modify our environment to the extent that we curerently are, the knock on effect is damn big and its going to come back and bite future generations.

I have a refrigerator, and only a month ago I was discussing with the wife about moving it from out the kitchen into the back yard so its no longer working like an indoor heat pump, then maybe I can turn down the fan on my desk....

Its little things like this what can help.

Everything we seem to 'invent' seems to be just another fuel hungry monster, the computer, emm, about 100 watts for an old one, the newer ones even more, cell phones, not great, but whats the power consumption of the infrastructure running them, all those transmitters, computers, routers etc etc, add on the last 10 years explosion of the internet, all those isp's and the servers running night and day.

We need more power every day, its a spiral, at least we may get more power stations but the only option now is nuclear....

I did hear that the nuclear generators on submarines cant do a chenobyl because they dont contain enough explosive material, so why do we build big dangerous ones instead of a hundred smaller safe ones???

If it was not for the chilled vodka, how would I sleep at night........

Smile WOW ! Interesting Concept

Nuclear Powered Refrigeration . . .

Now THAT is a subject, which just screams for SERIOUS R&D money to be thrown at it.
    Did we just solve global warming? . . . OK, so where IS Osama Bin Ladens hideout?

Wink Ahhhh, mysteries of Thermodynamics ...

Hi, F Lez

< I have a refrigerator, and only a month ago I was discussing with the wife about moving it from out the kitchen into the back yard so its no longer working like an indoor heat pump >

Sorry, but it is really a false assertion ...

The heat you pump in the room ( entering the fridge ) ... you bring it to the backside of the fridge ... so, IN THE ROOM !!! , just adding the compressor running electric energy.

Globally ... you heat your room !!!

So, ... a split system is the solution for summer, and a conventional one for the winter .

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Nuclear Powered Refrigeration . . .

. . OK, so where IS Osama Bin Ladens hideout?
    Check the 12th Green in Palm Springs. He probably has a house right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Acetronics
    Hi, F Lez
    Sorry, but it is really a false assertion ...

The heat you pump in the room ( entering the fridge ) ... you bring it to the backside of the fridge ... so, IN THE ROOM !!! , just adding the compressor running electric energy.

Alain
    but if its a 150w motor, its a 150 watt of heat going into the air, minus electrical energy thats converted to noise.

If its hot, I dont want that extra heat inside the house....

Wink Nothing Lost, Nothing created ... just ever reducing Entropy

Quote Originally Posted by f_lez
    but if its a 150w motor, its a 150 watt of heat going into the air, minus electrical energy thats converted to noise.
    Noooooo,

Noise is also a kind of energy ( pressure ); it is also converted IN YOUR ROOM, into heat. ( supposing you do not hear your fridge from outside ... let's keep serious ... ).

But note this amount of energy is ... ridiculous !!!

so, split system ... and compressor outside the room !!!

to JOE

" Check the 12th Green in Palm Springs. He probably has a house right there."

May be, May be, ... but he's got a much better protection : OIL !!!

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!