GOTO statement causing jitter in output frequency, can be this fixed?

+ Reply to Thread

Default GOTO statement causing jitter in output frequency, can be this fixed?

Hello.

I have this simple code - it generates pulses of 300, 600, 1200 and 2400 Hz on PORTC Outputs at same time.

Code:
    ;----[16F886 Hardware Configuration]--------------------------------------------
    #CONFIG
    cfg1 = _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT    ; INTOSCIO oscillator: I/O function on RA6/OSC2/CLKOUT pin, I/O function on RA7/OSC1/CLKIN
    cfg1&= _WDT_ON                ; WDT enabled
    cfg1&= _PWRTE_OFF             ; PWRT disabled
    cfg1&= _MCLRE_OFF             ; RE3/MCLR pin function is digital input, MCLR internally tied to VDD
    cfg1&= _CP_OFF                ; Program memory code protection is disabled
    cfg1&= _CPD_OFF               ; Data memory code protection is disabled
    cfg1&= _BOR_OFF               ; BOR disabled
    cfg1&= _IESO_ON               ; Internal/External Switchover mode is enabled
    cfg1&= _FCMEN_ON              ; Fail-Safe Clock Monitor is enabled
    cfg1&= _LVP_OFF               ; RB3 pin has digital I/O, HV on MCLR must be used for programming
    cfg1&= _DEBUG_OFF             ; In-Circuit Debugger disabled, RB6/ICSPCLK and RB7/ICSPDAT are general purpose I/O pins
      __CONFIG _CONFIG1, cfg1

cfg2 = _BOR40V                ; Brown-out Reset set to 4.0V
    cfg2&= _WRT_OFF               ; Write protection off
      __CONFIG _CONFIG2, cfg2

#ENDCONFIG

'chip configs

TRISA=%00000000  'SET A TO OUTPUT 0=INPUT 1 OUTPUT
    TRISC=0   'set 
    TRISB=0   'set 
    ANSELH=%00000000   ' ADC OFF B
    ANSEL=%000000000 'configure PortA as digital 
    ADCON1=%10000000  'adc justify
    OSCCON=%01110101  'SET FREQUENCY TO 8MHZ
    WPUB=%00000000    'turn off Pullups
    CM1CON0=0         'DISABLE COMPARATORS
    CM2CON0=0         'SAME HERE
    'CCP1CON=%01000000 ' configure pwm
    'PSTRCON=%00010110 'disable C pwm  <--- all above enables HPWM on PORTB.4

DEFINE OSC 8 'set oscillator speed  

'adcin config
    DEFINE ADC_BITS 10
    DEFINE ADC_CLOCK 3
    DEFINE ADC_SAMPLEUS 50

A VAR PORTC.4
    B VAR PORTC.5
    C VAR PORTC.6
    D VAR PORTC.7

x var byte

x=0

masfrk:
    for x=0 to 15
    a=x.0
    b=x.1
    c=x.2
    d=x.3
    pauseus 194
    next
    goto masfrk
    I noticed that there's an output jitter, and it is directly related to the GOTO statement - on each iteration, it takes different time to code to start again, so there is a noticeable jitter.
    If I change X maximum value from 15 to 255, jitter is significantly reduced, because most time code operates inside for-next loop, which des not has this problem.

Here is a small video showing it - first half of the video the X changes from 0 to 255, and after that I upload another code, where X changes from 0 to 15, and jitter can be clearly seen.

Currently I'm running 16F886 @ 8mhz internal oscillator. If that would be intosc issue, then it should affect the for-next loop too, right? but why it only happens on GOTO, any ways to fix this?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: GOTO statement causing jitter in output frequency, can be this fixed?

If you replace the two loops with a single loop then the timing should be consistent...
    Code:
    x = 0
    masfrk:
    a=x.0
    b=x.1
    c=x.2
    d=x.3
    pauseus 194
    x = x + 1
    goto masfrk
    You may have to adjust the 'pauseus' statement...

Default Re: GOTO statement causing jitter in output frequency, can be this fixed?

Thanks, that worked!
    But why it happens at all?

Isn't obvious? The inner loop takes t time to finish. After 16 iterations it takes t+t(goto) time to start over again.

With the tumbleweed solution you have only one loop running forever. But x will not stop at 15 if it matter. It will reach 255 then cycle to 0.

Ioannis

No it is not obvious, because it takes DIFFERENT times on each iteration of GOTO statement.

If you reduce the timebase of your analyzer so you can capture an entire set of the FOR-NEXT loop, you'll see that it's not jitter but the increased time when the FOR-NEXT loop exits and the GOTO loop occurs. You have a few extra cycles there to do the GOTO and the exit/initialization of the FOR-NEXT loop so every 16 iterations you get a small gap.

The code I posted takes advantage of the fact that incrementing a byte from 255 just rolls over to 0, so it has the same effect as your FOR x=0 to 15 loop without the extra loop involved.

Obviously, your pic can't do anything else but this, otherwise the timing will change. Your other option would be to setup a timer and do this in an interrupt routine but you won't be able to get exact timing with that since there can be a slight difference in the timing of when the ISR runs.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

And since the four pins are on the same port you could do away with the individual RMW-instructions for each pin and just do
    Code:
    x = 0
    masfrk:
      PortC = x
      x = x + 16
      pauseus 194
    goto masfrk
    Or even
    Code:
    PortC = 0
    masfrk:
      PortC = PortC + 16
      pauseus 194
    goto masfrk
    Obviously this will cause the bottom 4 bits of PortC to be 0 but it doesn't look like you're using those for anything.