Aargh! picstart plus and 18f2550

Closed Thread

Default Aargh! picstart plus and 18f2550

Anybody having the same problem?

I've just upgraded my picstart plus and downloaded the 4.3 firmware, which is apparently the current version.

How comes the 18f2550 is not supported, even though it appears in the dropdown list of processors in mplab?

I'm now in possession of 200quids worth of hardware which won't do the thing I bought it to do! Have I got to dump the programmer and invest in another one?

Giulio

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I also use PicStart and you're right it doesn't support all the USB PICs. I asked to Microchip about that. They told me they didn't have any project to implement USB PIC in PICSTART. A bit stupid in my opinion but...

ICD2 seems to be the one to use now. I don't have it but heard good comments on.

I use BK Preecision 844A. That one support most PIC and ALL usb PICs + a load of other EEPROM and MCU.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a little test setup on breadboard with a MAX233 talking to a 16f628 so that I can use the Microcode Studio ICD, which works a treat.

The 16f628 doesn't support a bootloader though. What I'm thinking is... Can I 'lie' to Picstart to download a bootloader hex file into the 18f2550, then simply use the ICD to program the 18f2550 in circuit without the need for Picstart???

Or am I mad?

Giulio

mm interesting but no. Well not as i think. BTW i didn't check if there's any update of MPLAB and PICSTART at this moment. But i feel they didn't since the last time.

ICD-2 seems to be the one they'll prefer to work with.

Sometimes Microchip are %^%%. PicStart is suppose to be the Universal Pic Programer... YEAH RIGHT

An universal programmer like BkPrecision 844a (or Elnec) is still a smart choice IMHO. A bit more expensive but program much than PIC and it's updated about every month or so. You pay more one time, but i'd never be disapointed about... maybe about the ICSP but do some workaround

Good luck.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Thanks again for the tips.

Time to bend the credit card, methinks...

Giulio

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.