Code for WWVB time base

Closed Thread

Default Code for WWVB time base

I'm looking to add wireless time setting/correction to my clocks using the WWVB time signal generated from Ft. Collins, CO without having to reinvent the wheel. Amplitude-modulated protocol is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB. I don't need msec accuracy, one minute would suffice and expect to use readily available receiver/antenna modules like this: http://www.ntp-time-server.com/wwvb-...b-receiver.htm

Anybody have any experience with this?

Alternatives include GPS which is more expensive and may not work well indoors, and NTP servers, with which I have no familiarity.

Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Code for WWVB time base

I have written code for the UK MSF version in PBP, using the MSF version of the receiver you linked to, but GPS is easier.

Depending on where you are in the US coverage can be patchy on WWVB, there is somewhere propagation charts available if you search around.

With the proliferation of RC quadcopters there are quite a few cheap GPS modules available - Ebay - here is one I found quickly - under $16 !
    eBay item number:200911914297
    These do have onboard RTC so if it loses the satellites it will still keep good time and update itself as soon as it re-aquires.

Remember that the time is UTC so you need to get the time, subtract hours then set your clock, and of course take into account DST.

If you can position the GPS at a window then you should be able to get good results.