Can someone help me identify why this simple program won't compile?

Closed Thread

Default Can someone help me identify why this simple program won't compile?

clear
    DEFINE OSC 4
    DEFINE LCD_DREG PORTD
    DEFINE LCD_DBIT 4
    DEFINE LCD_RSREG PORTE
    DEFINE LCD_RSIT 0
    DEFINE LCD_EREG PORTE
    DEFINE LCD_EBIT 1

(It stops here with a syntax error on this > ) LOW PORTE.2
    (I have tried several other methods from the book that would all set port E, pin 2 to low, but for the life of me, I don't know what is going wrong. It loos so simple. I have the newest compiler, and I am trying to teach myself with a breadboard, and some book learning. Since the circuit isn't part of the problem, or even part of the question, this has to be about the syntax. I took this example code directly from a book by Harprit Singh Sandhu. I love his books, and the way he writes, and own a few of them. I considered that his book may be based on dated code, so I looked through the compiler manual and tried other ways to turn pin2 of PortE low. The compiler doesn't like anything I put place of Low PortE.2 It looks too simple, and I just don't get it, so you can imagine that I feel very ignorant to have to ask. The rest of the code follows, and maybe that will also generate syntax errors. What is the problem. Insults are Ok, I deserve them, but please make them constructive insults.

TRISD = %00000000
    TRISE = %00000000
    ADCON1 = %00000111

PAUSE 500

LCDOUT $FE, 1
    LCDOUT "NOW IS THE TIME FOR"
    LCDOUT $FE, $C0
    LCDOUT "A CUP OF PEA SOUP"
    END

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Can someone help me identify why this simple program won't compile?

What PIC, PBP version, ASM version?

Can you post all your entire code?

Have you tried just blinking an LED on port e.2?

Robert

The PIC that this would be loaded to, if it ever got tested would be 16F877a

I have Microcode Studio 5.0.0.3 Compiler 3.0.6.3 and whatever assembler came down when I downloaded this all together.
    If the ASM version is still important, you will have to direct me to where I find that bit of information.

This code sample is complete, but if it does not look complete, that may be the problem. I took the code from the book to test the LCD.
    Thanks, Joe

Hi,
    Make sure you select the correct target device in the drop down list in MicroCode Studio before compiling.
    If you're compiling for a chip which doesn't have a PortE (for example) then the compiler doesn't know what to do with the command LOW PortE.2 so it throws a Syntax Error.

I've tried your code here, compiling ot for 16F877A, and it compiles without any errors.

/Henrik.

OK, your questions led me back to my program. I previously used another product that started each project with a config window, the processor, and chip configuration settings were in it. I realized that I did not have the same in this software, and once I set the processor correctly, the compiler compiled fine. That made sense to me, the commands were easy, and I had to be referencing a port that did not exist, which it did not in the default chip that was selected.

Thanks again, your questions led to my answers.

Guess I should read ALL the posts - answered
    "I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that
    we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street"

-Stephen Hawking

But your willingness to help is deeply appreciated anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by andywpg View Post
    Guess I should read ALL the posts - answered