Netburner SBL2e ?

Closed Thread

Default Netburner SBL2e ?

Does anyone have any experience using Netburner's SBL2e Serial to Ethernet on a PBP project?

http://www.netburnerstore.com/serial...bl2e-100ir.htm

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Netburner SBL2e ?

Yes, I've got one connected to a PIC via the UART. The PIC reads I2c sensors and returns the values to the UART. This setup allows the PICs UART to be available on my house network.
    My system controls my central heating. I use a few SBL2e around the house. Only a couple are connect to a PIC. The PIC is required as the SBL2e does not connect directly to a I2C bus. I have the the other UART on the SBL2e connected to a bluetooth card allowing BT access to the central heating control, which is a router running DD-wrt linux. The other pins on the SBL2e are use to control the immersion heater and pumps and valves via 5v - 220v relays.
    I found the SBL2e does just as the spec sheet says and has been total faultless for the last two years. I see they are available in the UK now at a very fair price. A great little package.
    Good luck.

Since my original post, I have used the SBL2e with a PIC and DS1820's to transmit temp info to a server. I find them to be inexpensive and easy to use. (Plus support is right here in San Diego!)

Would you be willing to share schematic and code?

I would like to set up a temperature monitor for my freezer and send an email if it goes out of limits.

thanks
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Talking Re: Netburner SBL2e ?

Heckler,

The SBL2e's serial port is connected to the PIC via 2 general purpose I/O pins. I wanted to be sure I didn't have any issues with signal polarity (that always seems to bite me), so I just used the SERIN2 and SEROUT2 commands with a couple of I/O pins, instead of using the actual hardware UART. That's really all there is to the hardware hookup! The code isn't a bit complicated, but unfortunately I can't post it as it was a work project. If you just be sure you have common baud rates and the other serial issues (parity, etc) set right, I'm sure you won't have a problem. As I said, support is in the US, and they're very helpful and easy to deal with.

Good luck to you!

Len

I connected the UART pins from a PIC 16F1823 directly to the UART pins on the Netburner. Both are TTL so it's a direct connection. As the Netburner will connect to an IP address when the UART is openned, you'll need to have another networked computer listening on a dedicated port.
    This computer would need to send the email. Unless you could connect the Netburner to a SMTP server and get the PIC to comunicate with the server and send the email.
    In my system; my remote computer connected to the Netburner's UART via the network, this allows the remote computer to communicate with the PIC UART as if it was attached to the remote computer.
    I would be happy to give you my code but I write in assembly. I only come to this forum to praise the Netburner SBL2e.
    Another way is to use the general IO pins. You sensor sets a PIn and another computer on the network can monitor the Netburner's pin.

Gargo.
    Last edited by Gargoreg; - 27th January 2013 at 23:22.

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.