IR Temperature Sensor

Closed Thread

Default IR Temperature Sensor

I developed the following code in PBP3. I am having trouble getting it to work. I would like to see the temperature data that gets stored in the AmbTemp and ObjTemp memory by the I2C command. The data in each of these memory locations are WORD length. I can't find a command in PBP3 that allows me to read these 16 bit data on two of the ports. Am I missing something? Also, can you tell me what is wrong with my code?

Thank you, TravisM

Temperature:

i2cread SDA, SCL, SAdef, LocAmbTemp, [AmbTemp] 'read amb temperature Ta & save in AmbTemp
    gosub SwapAmbBytes: 'I2C reads the highest byte first; Go swap the bytes

i2cread SDA, SCL, SAdef, LocObjTemp, [ObjTemp] 'read object temperature (Tobj) & save in ObjTemp
    gosub SwapObjBytes:

if AmbTemp >= ObjTemp then Temperature 'Object is not heating, continue to loop

if (ObjTemp - AmbTemp) >= ThresTemp then ObjHeating 'differance between Amb & Obj temperature has exceeded threshold temp

Reset: 'Reset time count and turn motion sensor off if (ObjTemp - AmbTemp) is less that threshold temp.
    cnt = 1
    low 6 'turns motion sensor off
    goto Temperature

ObjHeating:
    high 6 'obj is heating; turn motion detector on (by setting RB6 high) to check for motion in room .

for cnt = 1 to MaxTime 'measure time by counting # of loops of approx one sec each.

If portb.1 = 1 then Temperature 'motion occured in room, do a reset

i2cread SDA, SCL, SAdef, LocAmbTemp, [AmbTemp] 'read amb temperature Ta & save in AmbTemp
    gosub SwapAmbBytes:

i2cread SDA, SCL, SAdef, LocObjTemp, [ObjTemp] 'read object temperature (Tobj) & save in ObjTemp
    gosub SwapObjBytes:

if AmbTemp >= ObjTemp then Temperature 'Object is not heating, start new loop

if (ObjTemp - AmbTemp) < ThresTemp then Temperature 'differance between Amb & Obj temperature is less than threshold temp

next cnt

Alarm: 'object temperature has exceeded threshold temp for more than the MaxTime, so sound alarm
    high portb.0
    pause 2000
    low portb.0
    pause 15000
    if portb.5 = 0 then Temperature
    goto Alarm

end

SwapAmbBytes: 'swap the MSB and LSB of the amb and obj temperatures

swap AmbTemp.byte1, AmbTemp.byte0
    return

SwapObjBytes:

swap ObjTemp.Byte1, ObjTemp.byte0
    return

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: IR Temperature Sensor

i cant comment on the code much , but its a bit easier to read

Code:
    Temperature:

gosub SwapAmbBytes:                            'I2C reads the highest byte first; Go swap the bytes

gosub SwapObjBytes:

if AmbTemp >= ObjTemp then Temperature               'Object is not heating, continue to loop
    if (ObjTemp - AmbTemp) >= ThresTemp then ObjHeating  'differance between Amb & Obj temperature has exceeded threshold temp

Reset:                 'Reset time count and turn motion sensor off if (ObjTemp - AmbTemp) is less that threshold temp.
    cnt = 1
    low 6                  'turns motion sensor off
    goto Temperature

ObjHeating:
    high 6                 'obj is heating; turn motion detector on (by setting RB6 high) to check for motion in room .

for cnt = 1 to MaxTime 'measure time by counting # of loops of approx one sec each.

If portb.1 = 1 then Temperature 'motion occured in room, do a reset

gosub SwapAmbBytes:
       gosub SwapObjBytes:

if AmbTemp >= ObjTemp then Temperature           'Object is not heating, start new loop

if (ObjTemp - AmbTemp) < ThresTemp then Temperature 'differance between Amb & Obj temperature is less than threshold temp

next cnt

Alarm: 'object temperature has exceeded threshold temp for more than the MaxTime, so sound alarm
      high portb.0
      pause 2000
      low portb.0
      pause 15000
      if portb.5 = 0 then Temperature
      goto Alarm 

end

' ---------- Sub Routines  ----------

SwapAmbBytes: 'swap the MSB and LSB of the amb and obj temperatures

swap AmbTemp.byte1, AmbTemp.byte0
     return

SwapObjBytes: 
       swap ObjTemp.Byte1, ObjTemp.byte0 
    return

Thank you for reformatting my code. It is much easier to read, but probably still too difficult for someone else to diagnose my code.

My IR sensor uses an SMBus interface. Since the SMBus interface is very simular to my micro I2C interface, I think the two should be compatible. I can monitor the serial data stream from the IR sensor with a logic analyzer and see that the ambient and object temperature data is about what it should be. But the serial data stream includes other data than the temperature data. I would like to see what is being loaded into the AmbTemp and ObjTemp RAM locations. To do this, I need to be able to transfer the 16 bit data out of the AmbTemp, and ObjTemp RAM, locations onto two of the 8 bit ports to read the parallel data. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you, TravisM

any chance the pic u are using as eeprom

Is this the Melexis sensor?

My code runs at 8mhz on 16f886 or 18F2620 IIRC

Code:
    I2CClock	var PORTC.3	'I2CClock Line
    I2CData		var PORTC.4	'I2CData Line

I2CAddr   var BYTE	'I2C Device Address
    I2CReg	  var BYTE	'I2C Device Register 

Cal26:							'Melexis IR Temp Sensor Routine MLX90614 IR sensor 

'The temperature in degrees Kelvin is then calculated as TempK = 0.02 * MelTemp Or TempC = 2 * MelTemp - 27315. 

'I2CReg = $06					'Ram register for Ambient Temp
        	'I2CReg = $07					'Ram register for Object 1
    	'I2CReg = $08					'Ram register for Object 2

I2Caddr = 0
    	I2CRead I2CData, I2CClock, I2CAddr, I2CReg, [Result.lowbyte, Result.highbyte]
     	Result = ((Result * 2) - 27315) / 100		'Convert to Centigrade
     	LCDOUT #Result,32	'Display 
    	Return						'Return to main program

have you tired just write the values of the variables that u like to check into the some free locations on the eeprom , then read them back using programmer , to confirm the values are what u expected

also if you keen to try there a few simulators that you can find on popular torrent downloads sites that support those pics , you may not get live data , but u can sim inputs patterns that your seeing and then look at the variables saved

Thanks for the reply. I am using the Melexis MLX90614 sensor and the PIC16F886 micro. I see in your sample code that you don't swap the low and high bytes in the result to get the 16 bit result in the standard format. Perhaps I will try not swaping my MSB & LSB. I have also discovered that I do not have a couple of the Special Function Registers setup properly. I will make those changes and post the results.

TravisM

here's a thread about the melexis sensor: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/arch...p/t-11782.html