Programming chips in bulk

Closed Thread

Default Programming chips in bulk

I need to program 750 chips in about a month. I bet there is a better option than buying a bunch of beer and sitting in front of my laptop with a programmer. I notice Microchip has an option to buy chips already programmed. What files would I need to provide them? Are there any other options?
    Thanks in advance
    Toby

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Programming chips in bulk

Name:  2012-09-16_164847.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  250.2 KB
    Name:  2012-09-16_164907.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  99.9 KB
    Name:  2012-09-16_164926.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  179.7 KB

depending on your chip type (surface mount or through hole) and pin count (20 pin or less)
    get you a Microchip "Low Pin Count Demo Board" install a 20 pin zif (zero insertion force) socket and a right angle header on the bottom (because it won't fit on the top after you install the zif socket) then use a Pickit2 or a pickit3 to sequentially program them. I can program a chip in <10 seconds including swapping to the next chip.

just one possibility
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Go to microchipdirect.com You would need to upload the hex file of your program so they can program your chips.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

The hex file needs to contain all the Config data, which I have in my file. Do I need to do anything special when compiling?

Yes, all the PIC setting fuses need to be in the file and somehow they are transferred to the HEX file when you compile it. I don't think you need to do anything special when compiling. You can upload the hex file and request a free programmed sample .
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Here is answer from Charles at MELabs

How do the
    > config settings/fuses get into the HEX file?

The easy way is to open the hex file in meProg, make the configuration changes, then save the file.

The proper way is to use the #CONFIG directive in PBP3 to place the config data in the program. PBP3 will then transfer the data to the hex file.

Either way, you can test by opening the file in meProg and making sure the config options change to the desired settings.

If you decide to go the manual way, ticking the 'Write on Pickit Button' option in the Programmer tab of the Pickit2 application would make the job slightly less painful.

Anand Dhuru

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.