Microchip’s New Embedded Wi-FiDevelopment Board

Closed Thread

Default Microchip’s New Embedded Wi-FiDevelopment Board

Hot today! 9-25-2012
    Roving Network (recently purchased by Microchip) has 2 new WiFi development boards which include an on board TCP/IP stack. No external processor drivers are required, enabling Wi-Fi connectivity for 4, 8, 16 and 32-bit processors by use of a simple serial (RS232) interface.

See: Roving Networks fully certified modules from Microchip.

Norm

Default Re: Microchip’s New Embedded Wi-FiDevelopment Board

And, when you already have a processor, their RN-XV is a low cost ($35) WiFi-to-Serial adapter.
    http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/RN_XV

The beaty of the first ones is that the TCP/IP stack is on the board so you don't have to handle all that low level stuff in your processor. I've got one of these on its way to play with it.

Given that the RN-XV uses the RN-171, one could assume it has the same functionality (it also has the TCP/IP stack) and it plugs into a socket (Zigbee form factor) as opposed to requiring surface mounting. Methinks $6 more for plug-in capability is a bargain.

My apologies - I misinterpreted the OP's post, thinking it meant you did not need a processor. That's not the case.

The only thing new is that Microchip bought Roving Networks and that whoever wrote the press release, cited by the OP, was hyperventilating.

I've had the RN-XV which is the through-hole version incorporating the RN-171 for several months.

http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/Wi_Fi_Modules

I forgot to mention my favorite feature. If connected to the Internet, the RN-XV can be configured to get the time from an SNTP server at startup and every xx minutes thereafter. It maintains an onboard RTC so your apps always have the correct time.

Am I reading this right?
    Connect this 16 pin Microchip Power Amplifier for New IEEE 802.11ac Wi-Fi to a WiFi transceiver for longer range?

Norm

Nope, i dont think you are. This is a PA (power amp). It is only for the transmitter side. The transceiver is both a transmitter and receiver. A duplexer, switch, combiner ,isolator, or other device ensures both the transmit and receive path works. So if you were to connect this unidirectional device to the wifi transceiver, one of the two functions would stop working. This device would be used inside the transeiver, as a building block. But not outside as you are suggesting.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.