High power resistor

Closed Thread

Default High power resistor

Hello,

Anyone knows where i could order high power resistor, variable would be a plus. I have 840V dc, and i would like to chose anywhere between 700Ohm (1000watt) to 5KOhm (150watt).
    I can locate companies like Ohmite or Token, but they do not sell directly and mouser or digikey do not hold there product at that power rating ..
    thanks for any help

ken

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: High power resistor

Hi lerameur,

A resistor that can disipate 1000 watts is called a heater. Seriously... most portable room heaters are 1000-1500 watts.

I doubt that you are going to find a single resistor that can disipate that kind of heat. I have a coil wound cermic heater that is rated at 1000 watts. It gets red hot after about 30 seconds.

How long do you want to dissapate that kind of heat energy??
    You may have to go with a switchable array of resistors... say 10 watts X 100 resistors or 200 x 5 watts.

There are solid state (FET I think) loads that have a fan mounted for cooling... like these http://www.westmountainradio.com/cba.php

Buy you are talking a very high voltage... which complicates the matter even more.

good luck
    dwight
    Last edited by Heckler; - 17th August 2012 at 14:29.
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

Yes, unless you specifically WANT a heater, why would you require such a resistor? Power control is usually done using PWM these days.

aliciaDJones Guest

What is I don't now bout this pleas tell me about this...

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.