Remote light control using internet. Need Advise

Closed Thread

Default Remote light control using internet. Need Advise

Hi, I am planning to make a project where I can use internet and communicate with my PIC. It is certainly much more than just programming but I want to know what peripherals could be used to achieve this type of thing. I saw something similar while searching for similar ideas online : http://www.digidave.co.uk/jshop/product.php?xProd=211 (check the 'video guides' tab). I would like to build something like this myself. Any help in the right direction will be much appreciated. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Remote light control using internet. Need Advise

This type of application is very easy. I have done this and more with NET232 interfaces from Lantronix. The sky is the limit... I have 3 tracking dual axis solar arrays, and an 8 channel load shed device I designed on line and totally controlable over the internet. It's all serial and oparated with any terminal program that can do TCP_IP.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Dave, your project pics looks fantastic.
    I also found this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1905348458...ht_3225wt_1037 (Don't know how useful will it be). Have you got any comments/experience on this? Seems a very cheap solution but I don't know if this is something I should be needing or there needs to be whole bunch of other stuff to go along with this to make it work?

Well...... Call me lazy but, I didn't want to spend months writing code to manipulate ethernet packets. With the Lantronix products, all you need to do is set the interface up 1 time and away you go. Instant serial at upto 115 kbaud. There is even room in the unit for web pages if you like. Personally I don't use them as I want to see the data instead of pretty windows that one would spend hours to design in who knows what language. There are other companys that sell products simillar to the Lantronix if you want to build it into some product you are designing.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.