Programming ST Microelectronics chips?

Closed Thread

Default Programming ST Microelectronics chips?

Hey Everyone,

It has been awhile since my last PIC project (which went quite well due to the help i received on this forum) and I have something new I would like to tackle.

I want to do some modifications on a ST Micro chip PN: M27C801

I have my trusty PBP, Microcode studio, and ME labs programmer.

First, I would like to copy the existing code from it, and then perhaps fool around with modifying it and such knowing i could always go back to the original if necessary.

The main issue is this chip is not on the list when I try to upload the program to my computer. Are there files available that I can add to the "chip list" Can I only work with Microchip brand chips with my ME labs software? Is it possible to get a compatible Microchip brand chip?

Here is the datasheet:
    http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...onics/4377.pdf

Any and all comments are appreciated

I would be using the UV erasure kind, and I have access to a device that can erase the data.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Programming ST Microelectronics chips?

You are serious - right?
    Charles Linquist

First and foremost, The part you are talking about is NOT a micro of ANY kind, it is EPROM, Eraseable Programable Read Only Memory. So it must be containing code for another Micro in the system. You will need to identify THAT part to start getting close to reading or creating code for it. If it is not a PIC, PBP will not help you for that.

You can set up a circuit to read the contents and program the EPROM using a PIC. For this PBP will be of great value. Please understand you are going to get all HEX from the EPROM. Then you will need to translate that to ASM, using instruction set for the un-identified micro in the system.

This is a pretty huge job, so whatever you are wanting to modify, needs to be worth it to you. You will be able to get help here for the PIC side of things, but the rest will be up to you.
    -Bert

The glass is not half full or half empty, Its twice as big as needed for the job!

http://foamcasualty.com/ - Warbird R/C scratch building with foam!

Thanks CNC

There is a PIC that most likely has the code on the board. I didn't realize that would be the key component. I'll grab that and get going. I thnk I will be able to translate it into ASM since I know the person who designed the system it came from.

Charles

Check this thread. http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8928

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.