USART Question

Closed Thread

Thread: USART Question

Default USART Question

Reading the datasheet for the 16F628A, it mentions "the transmitter and receiver are functionally independent". Does this mean I can use RB1 (receiver pin) on the processor and use RB2 (transmit pin) for another application such as an input?

Thanks

You are correct, each pin can be independently setup as input or outputs, optionally using either one as a usart.

Quote Originally Posted by tazntex View Post
    Reading the datasheet for the 16F628A, it mentions "the transmitter and receiver are functionally independent". Does this mean I can use RB1 (receiver pin) on the processor and use RB2 (transmit pin) for another application such as an input?

Thanks
    Hi Taz.
    It ain't quite so straight forward as it looks, and right now I do not have time to search, but look at BRUCE's posts for the last 3 or so months, he tells how to do it.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

I would test this to be sure. I'm pretty sure that once you set SPEN (RCSTA.7) these pins are dedicated to the hardware USART, and you lose control of them for digital I/O.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Thanks for the reply from all of ya'll.

P.S. Joe, the change is not very popular around here!

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.