Briefly, maximum number of vars?

Closed Thread

Default Briefly, maximum number of vars?

I have a program running on an 18F26J50, and use about 30 Vars, mostly byte sized, and about 15 of them are declared as 6 byte arrays.

The code runs great and I want to include the SDFS file system code for SD Cards. I have previously used this code successfully and find it is easy to work with.

I have begun by copying in the list of variables and aliases. However, if I copy in all of the SDFS vars my program runs as normal except that some data is being corrupted. The data is held in buffers, and represents led segment patterns on a display. If I comment out, say, 20 of the SDFS variables then my code works, and if I leave them in the led display shows some garbage at exactly the same point each cycle.

Is there a limit to the number of variables which you can declare ? Knowing I would need a lot of vars I used the 18F26J50 because of it's 3k of SRAM and as far as I can tell I am probably only close to using 1k of Ram at the moment.

I've tried lumping arrays together (not that it should matter) and rearranging the order of the SDFS vars before my own, but the effect is always the same.

The effect is not specific to those particular vars which I comment out either, if I comment out any 15 or so of the SDFS vars my code begins to work again.

Chris

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I'm beginning to think that this has something to do with memory addressing in PBP, could somebody make a comment if I need to do anything different to address the large data space other than rely on PBP to select the correct banks for me.

Chris

Chris,

I am not really sure, but, you seem to be on the right track thinking that PBP may need to be guided around the RAM banks.

I haven't worked on any project that uses a lot of RAM, so my comments may be totally invalid.

However, my understanding is - PBP sets the banks by looking at the starting address of a variable before accessing it. What this means, PBP knows where to find the first element of a multibyte array, but the moment the array wraps over to the next RAM page, PBP brings you back to the start of the existing/selected page.

A possible workaround would be to place large arrays in their own RAM page where they cannot wrap around without PBP knowing.

I wonder if this helps

I would suspect Array overflows.

All arrays are zero based.
    It's easy to forget that a 32 byte array only goes to 31.

PBP does not check "Bounds" for arrays.
    And if you go past it, something else gets corrupted.

With 18F's, banks don't matter with BYTE arrays.
    WORD/LONG array's are a little different.
    <br>
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Taylor View Post
    I would suspect Array overflows.

All arrays are zero based.
    It's easy to forget that a 32 byte array only goes to 31.

PBP does not check "Bounds" for arrays.
    And if you go past it, something else gets corrupted.

With 18F's, banks don't matter with BYTE arrays.
    WORD/LONG array's are a little different.
    <br>

Thanks Darrel.
    Part of my faultfinding included checking for overflow, as well as increasing the size of my arrays, just to be sure.

The SDFS code variables include several WORD and LONG arrays. You have said that they are handled differently, can you suggest what might be going wrong, and a possible solution ? Would it be wise to force the location of such arrays ? How would that be best achieved ? Could I locate LONG and WORD arrays at the beginning of my code to ensure those variables begin at the start of a page ?

Is it important to also point out that none of these WORD and LONG arrays are ever used in my code at the moment. I commented out all code which used them, to successfully eliminate the program itself.

TIA
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Barron; - 23rd March 2010 at 08:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerson View Post
    Chris,

A possible workaround would be to place large arrays in their own RAM page where they cannot wrap around without PBP knowing.

I wonder if this helps

I guess it has something to do with my understanding of PBP as much as anything else, your description of the array pointer system ties in with my own thoughts.

Darrel can confirm that the only array types which might give cause for concern are WORD and LONG. The variables which I am pasting in contain a single LONG array of 8 elements. All other arrays being byte sized. I've just tried putting the LONG array at the start of the declaration section, but do you think it would be better to ORG it to somewhere ?

What pains me is that I took a piece of working code which I have been working on for months, imported some variables which are not duplicates and which are never implemented in my own code, and I end up with non-working code.

The shift to linear memory can't come soon enough !

Chris

Hope this makes things clearer...

I have the usual var declarations (over 200). The following names are for example only.

abc var byte
    bcd var byte
    cde var byte
    def var byte[75]
    efg var long[8]
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    wxy var byte
    xyz var byte

If I comment out the second last variable 'wxy' (or comment out any of the later bytes) the code runs. If I leave wxy in the list then elements of array 'def' become corrupted. At first I suspected it was something to do with using too much ram, so I reduced the size of array def to 50 elements. But the problem is exactly the same, even though I freed up 25 bytes of ram when I reduced the size of 'def' (and of course, made sure I didn't point to any of the now missing array elements, in practice I only use the first 20 elements at the moment)

Commenting out 'wxy' allows the code to run properly, and also wxy is never actually used yet at any point in my code.

This is what leads me to wonder if it is not the actual _number_ of variables which is the key, rather than the amount of space which they use. I have 211 variable names (excluding aliases), that's 211 pointers to individual addresses, and presumably that info is saved on a table. How many variables does PBP require, because if it uses 45 or more then that would cause overflow of an 8-bit table or variable.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Barron; - 23rd March 2010 at 10:41.

sinoteq Guest

Default Time for a test

Hi
    To make sure PBP does not break any RAM boundries I would like you to do a small test. Take the code that does not work and add some extra code to it at the start of your program.

Code:
    Dummy_0 Var Byte $FF
    Dummy_1 Var Byte $1FF
    Dummy_2 Var Byte $2FF
    Dummy_3 Var Byte $3FF
    This will force PBP to load byte variables at the end of each RAM bank.

I am really interested in the results.

Chris,

I suggest you try loading all your BIG arrays right at the top. Then put all the little single variables like bytes or words or longs after that.

As to how many variables PBP needs, I think you can look at the generated LST file and see the variables before your own.

There is another possibility that you need to consider - is there any asm interrupt code of your own that might be disturbing the register banks.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by sinoteq View Post
    Hi
    To make sure PBP does not break any RAM boundries I would like you to do a small test. Take the code that does not work and add some extra code to it at the start of your program.

Code:
    Dummy_0 Var Byte $FF
    Dummy_1 Var Byte $1FF
    Dummy_2 Var Byte $2FF
    Dummy_3 Var Byte $3FF
    This will force PBP to load byte variables at the end of each RAM bank.

I am really interested in the results.

Thanks fro the suggestion but there is no change.
    in keeping with the original problem, using your suggestion has increased the number of vars by 4, and if I comment out 4 of the unused vars to compensate the code runs. Changing the location of the dummy vars has no impact on the problem

Chris,

I suggest you try loading all your BIG arrays right at the top. Then put all the little single variables like bytes or words or longs after that.
    I've tried this method, it seems to make no difference

There is another possibility that you need to consider - is there any asm interrupt code of your own that might be disturbing the register banks.
    Regards
    I do have an ASM interrupt.
    In the interrupt I use indirect addressing to load an array (the array in question) with data received from the serial port, before it is transmitted out of the serial port again, trapping the received data for analysis and real-time display.

Before I give the details, the gotcha here is that the code works fine without these additional unused variables. but once I add a few vars in the declarations, after my own var declarations or before them, the problem occurs. At no time are those additional vars referenced in the program code.

I have looked at the PBP files and it seems that FSR0 and FSR2 are used by PBP, but not FSR1. To do the indirect addressing I load FSR1 with LFSR 1,_RX_BUFFFER, the address of the 1st byte in the RX_BUFFFER array. Then I use POSTINC1 to put each successive received byte into the buffer. I then _save_ the values for FSR1L and FSR1H, so the next time I need to load the next array element I restore FSR1L and FSR1H with the last values in the interrupt. I actually get the same problem even when I don't save the values for FSR1, which suggests that it is pointless to do that anyway

What I have not done, is to save the values in FSR1L and FSR1H when the program interrupts, but then I don't see any need because PBP doesn't seem to make any use of FSR1, plus the same code works as expected when I reduce the number of unused variables.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barron View Post
    .... The shift to linear memory can't come soon enough !

Chris
    Don't count on it happening any time soon. Right now the only Microchip products that have it (4Gb linear addressing space) is the PIC32 line.

I do have an ASM interrupt.
    In the interrupt I use indirect addressing to load an array
    Just for confirmation I have reverted to a previous interrupt routine which does not use indirect addressing, does not access the FSR's at all. The same problem is happening.

Would someone be able to tell me what is the best way to force PBP to locate my variables in places which I know will all my LONG and WORD arrays to fit on one bank of memory

Chris

There was a thread awhile back where someone was having the same trouble, to many variables. Sounds like this is the same thing.

Maybe a work around would be to scale things in your code and SDFS by not declaring some of the pins as VARs.

An example would be in SDFS if you are not using the card detect
    Code:
    SD_CD		Var	PORTB.4	' SD card detect
    SD_CD_TRIS	Var	TRISB.4	' SD card detect direction
    to comment that portion out. Probably some things in your code that could be re-done also???

Just thoughts.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

BTW, are you using the SDFS from MElabs? The one for FAT16 or the one from Jeremy posted on the forum, SDFS32.

Maybe seeing your code would help too.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    There was a thread awhile back where someone was having the same trouble, to many variables. Sounds like this is the same thing.

Maybe a work around would be to scale things in your code and SDFS by not declaring some of the pins as VARs.
    Just thoughts.

I could do that, but I would rather not be limited to a smaller number of variables than I have ram locations for.

I would post the code, but it's over 40k now. Take out the data tables and it's down to about 28k, so it's still a massive post ! The essence remains the same though.

I'm using the FAT16 MELabs version of SDFS. If the FAT32 version uses less space and doesn't have the same caveats I would like to try it out, but even after that I still would like to include more variables.

As I've said, the number of ram variables declared seems to be deciding factor and the problem doesn't seem to be affected by the number of aliases. I might consider declaring some large byte arrays and then declare the current individual byte vars which I am using as aliases of the larger array.

Chris

Darrel can confirm that the only array types which might give cause for concern are WORD and LONG. The variables which I am pasting in contain a single LONG array of 8 elements.
    Well, they are handled a little different, but they are still no cause for concern.

The compiler simply makes sure that no single element of an array crosses a bank boundary. The array can span multiple banks, but LONGs or WORDs will always be on one side or the other, never split.

If you want to make sure that an array is completely inside a single bank ... specify the bank in the variable declaration.

MyArray VAR WORD[16] BANK3

This forces PBP to put the entire array in bank3 and will not allow it to cross a boundary.
    However, I do not think that's your problem.

Can you at least post the interrupt routine.
    That's the most likely place.
    The second most likely is any ASM code (doesn't have to be the INT handler).
    <br>
    DT

Chris

Is it possible to let us have just "all" your variable declarations so that we can test it out?

I am suspecting that the compilers' symbol table is unable to cope with so many variables.

These are my own vars.

Code:

Change_delay var word[6]
    Delay_set   var word[6]

Tube_previous   var byte[6]
    Tube_current    var byte[6]
    Tube_next   var byte[6]
    maxtubes    var byte
    Datim_buf   var byte[8]
    Scroll_delay    var byte
    TScroll_progress    var byte
    Raw_tube    var byte[6]; $200
    RX_BUFFER Var Byte[50] 

Tube_sel  var byte 
    Tube      var byte
    Tube_max  var byte

DP  var byte[6]

Delay_cnt   var byte
    delay_cnt = 255

Delay_mode_u  var bit

BlanksL var byte
    BlanksH var byte
    SegsL   var byte
    SegsH   var byte

Hours   VAR BYTE

Minutes VAR BYTE

Seconds VAR BYTE

Year    VAR BYTE

Month   VAR BYTE

Day     VAR BYTE

Weekday VAR BYTE

Lastsecs    var byte

sec_cntr    var byte: sec_cntr = 0

Sword   var word ; spare word

Addr    var word

Prog_split  var byte

Longest_effect  var byte

Dir_bit var bit :dir_bit = 1 

Out_bufL    var byte
    Out_bufH    var byte
    Eout_bufH   var byte[6]
    Eout_bufL   var byte[6]
    Speed_trim_set  var byte
    Speed_trim_val  var byte
    Saved_Digit   var byte[6]
    Saved_DP    var byte[6]
    Touch_Status var byte
    Touch_Val   var word
    Saved_effect    var byte[6]
    Cycle_cntr  var word :cycle_cntr = 0

Letter_mode var byte :letter_mode = 0
    Letter_effect var byte :letter_effect = 0
    Letter_speed var byte :letter_speed = 0
    Letter_pause var byte :letter_pause = 0
    Letter_time_freq var byte :letter_time_freq = 0
    Letter_time_mode var byte :letter_time_mode = 0
    Letter_date_freq var byte :letter_date_freq = 0
    Letter_date_mode var byte :letter_date_mode = 0
    Letter_temp_freq var byte :letter_temp_freq = 0
    Letter_temp_mode var byte :letter_temp_mode = 0

Letter_time_cntr var byte : letter_time_cntr = 0
    Letter_date_cntr var byte : letter_date_cntr = 0

Seg_progress    var byte
    Disp_mode   var byte: disp_mode = 0
    ; mode 0 = serial data
    ; mode 1 = time
    ; mode 2 = date
    ; mode 3 = Letterplay

;EEDATA  var byte
    ;EEADR   var word

obit var bit

q   var byte
    X var byte
    X2 var byte 

RX_BYTE_CNT Var Byte 
    RX_BUF Var BYTE      

clk var PORTB.0
    dat var PORTB.1
    strobe  var PORTB.2
    blank   var PORTB.3

Device VAR BYTE[6]  

M_type  VAR byte
    M_type1 var byte     
    SPARE   VAR BYTE    
    FONT    VAR byte[6] 
    EFFECT  var byte[6] 
    control var Byte
    Dig_newL    var byte[6]
    Dig_newH    var byte[6]
    Dig_oldL    var byte[6]
    Dig_oldH    var  byte[6]
    Effect_pause var byte[6]
    Effect_var  var byte[6]
    Outa2h      var byte
    Outi2p      var byte

ESPEED var byte[6]  

EE_ADR var word 
    EE_DAT var byte
    Effect_progress var byte[6]
    RX_PROGRESS var byte
    Tube_dat    var byte[6]
    Last_tube_dat   var byte

int_dev var byte
    base_data   var word
    base_data = 1012
    tube_mask   var byte
    randnum var word 

mode    var byte
    I can't post everything together because it exceeds the maximum message size, so you might want to add the SDFS vars to the above list yourself.

This is my ISR

Code:

ASM
    myint
            btfss   PIR1,0 ; timer1 o/flow
            bra     Data?
    ; keypress stuff here       

EndKey:        
    ; end of keypress code        
            bcf     PIR1,0
            bra     end_int

Data?        
            btfss   PIR1,5    ; is the received data flag set ?
            goto     dot
            movf    RCREG,w
            movwf   _RX_BUF  ; save the received byte immediately
            movwf   TXREG    ; Load the TX register immediately to pass the byte on
            nop
    x1:        
            btfss   PIR1,TXIF  ; Wait for TX send to complete
            bra     x1

; progrss register bits 0-3 get set as each element of the header
    ; is received. If a bad byte is detected then progress is reset
    ; and the code starts waiting for another $ sign

prog0   btfsc   _RX_PROGRESS,0  ; has  the progress,0 step been completed
            bra     prog1        ; yes, test for progress,1

movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   '$'          ; test if this byte is a $ sign
            btfss   STATUS,Z
            goto     dump         ; not a $ sign, clear the progress register
            bsf     _RX_PROGRESS,0  ; no, set this bit now
            movf    TMR1L,w
            subwf   _randnum,f
            goto    out          ; is a $ sign, don't clear progress, allow more

prog1   btfsc   _RX_PROGRESS,1 ; same as above, validate the received data/header
            bra     prog2

movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'B'
            btfss   STATUS,Z
            goto    dump 
            bsf     _RX_PROGRESS,1  
            goto     out

prog2   btfsc   _RX_PROGRESS,2
            bra     prog3

movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   '7'
            btfss   STATUS,Z
            goto    dump  
            bsf     _RX_PROGRESS,2
            goto     out

; The fourth byte to be received is the 'type of message' character
    ; as for prog0 to prog2, if the fourth byte doesn't meet the test
    ; criteria of being a valid message type this data sentence is aborted 

prog3   btfsc   _RX_PROGRESS,3
            bra     prog4
            clrf    _M_type 
            clrf    _M_type1

typep?:  
            movf    _RX_BUF,w ; decimal points
            xorlw   'P'
            bnz     typem?
            bsf     _M_type,0
            bra     duntype

typem?:                   ; message ascii digit
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'M'
            bnz     typef?
            clrf    _Disp_mode
            bsf     _M_type,1
            bra     duntype
    typef?:                  ; font
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'F'
            bnz     typew?
            BSF     _M_type,3
            bra     duntype
    typew?:                  ; UDC write command
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'W'
            bnz     typee?
            bsf     _M_type,2
            bra     duntype
    typee?:                  ; effect
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'E'
            bnz     types?
            bsf     _M_type,4
            bra     duntype
    types?:                  ; speed
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'S'
            bnz     typed?
            bsf     _M_type,5
            bra     duntype
    typed?:                  ; digit delay
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'D'
            bnz     typev?
            bsf     _M_type,7 
            bra     duntype
    typev?:
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   'V'
            bnz     typec?
            bsf     _M_type,6
            bra     duntype
    typec?:
            movf    _RX_BUF,w   ; clock function
            xorlw   'C'
            bnz     typea?
            bsf     _M_type1,0
            bra     duntype
    typea?:
            movf    _RX_BUF,w   ; alarm function
            xorlw   'A'
            bnz     typel?
            bsf     _M_type1,1
            bra     duntype
    typel?:
            movf    _RX_BUF,w   ; Letter play
            xorlw   'L'
            bnz     typez?
            bsf     _M_type1,2
            bra     duntype
    typez?:
            movf    _RX_BUF,w   ; set total number of digits in array
            xorlw   'Z'
            bnz     dump ;typenul?
            bsf     _M_type1,3
            bra     duntype        

duntype: 

bsf     _RX_PROGRESS,3
            clrf    _RX_BYTE_CNT 
            lfsr    1,_RX_BUFFER
            bra     out

;'; If we got to here then the message type is valid.
    ;'; now to pick the correct data byte from the stream relevant to this device's
    ;'; enumerated position in the chain, and then save it for processing
    prog4   ;duntype

capture_bits:
            movff    _RX_BUF,POSTINC1   ; capture all bytes of data
            incf    _RX_BYTE_CNT,f

inc_dun:
            btfss   _M_type,2        ; Is this a UDC write ?
            bra     typnot2 
            movf   _RX_BYTE_CNT,w
            xorlw   18
            bz      goodmes
            bra    out            

; For all other, non- type 2 messages, count data bytes
            ; and when the current byte number equals this device's
            ; enumerated position put the current data byte in the buffer
    typnot2 
            movf    _RX_BUF,w
            xorlw   13          ; Is this the final character of a message ?
            bz      goodmes

btfsc   _M_type1,0 ; Clock command
            bra     out
            btfsc   _M_type1,3 ; Declare total number of tubes in array
            bra     out
            btfsc   _M_type1,1 ; Alarm command
            bra    out
            btfsc   _M_type1,2 ; FLW functions 'L' letter play
            bra    out
            btfsc   _M_type,7   ; Delay functions
            bra     out
            btfsc   _M_type,1   ; Message functions
            bra     out

ld_tube_dat:

movf    _RX_BYTE_CNT,w
            xorwf   _Device,w
            bnz      dev2
            movff   _RX_BUF,_Tube_dat   ; Tube_dat now has the correct data byte with respect
            bra     out       ; to this device's position in the chain

dev2

movf    _RX_BYTE_CNT,w
            xorwf   _Device+1,w
            bnz      dev3
            movff   _RX_BUF,_Tube_dat+1   ; Tube_dat+1 now has the correct data byte with respect

dev3

movf    _RX_BYTE_CNT,w
            xorwf   _Device+2,w
            bnz      dev4
            movff   _RX_BUF,_Tube_dat+2   ; Tube_dat+2 now has the correct data byte with respect

dev4

movf    _RX_BYTE_CNT,w
            xorwf   _Device+3,w
            bnz      out
            movff   _RX_BUF,_Tube_dat+3   ; Tube_dat+3 now has the correct data byte with respect

goodmes 
            movf    TMR4,w
            subwf   _randnum,w
            movwf   TMR4   
           bsf  _control,7

dump    
            clrf    _RX_PROGRESS

dot:     
            btfss   INTCON,2  ;Did a timer0 overflow occur ?
            bra    out
            bcf    INTCON,2  ; do timer0 maintenance
            bsf    _control,1
            movlw  160
            movwf  TMR0L

out:       

end_int:

RETFIE FAST  
    endasm

Here's a video of the device, when it works. This is the LED version, my main work is on the VFD tube version, versions of which can be seen in my Youtube collection. The only difference between the VFD and LED versions is the order of bitbanging data to the output SR's, and the VFD version uses CCP1 to generate 40V via a boost convertor

The VFD Version

This is the version which started it all off.

Note that in the last video (the first incarnation) each display tube has it's own controller IC, a PIC16F690, where the two previous versions now multiplex 4 display elements and have independent transition effects, operated by a 18426j50 driving an output shift register.

The displays are daisychained via a serial connection and form a self arranging linear network. They take simple ascii text commands at the input and organise themselves so that the correct character is displayed on the correct tube. For example the message $B7MTest , would put the letter T on the first tube, e on the next, and so on.<$B7M> is the header used for display 'M'essages.

if they are all connected together then each element has it's own 'place' in the display array (very much like the DMX protocol uses individual addresses too) then larger arrays of mixed display media can be built, such as this

I keep most of the detail at my Yahoogroup
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartsockets/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartsockets/
    Last edited by Chris Barron; - 24th March 2010 at 11:05.

Chris

Is it possible to let us have just "all" your variable declarations so that we can test it out?

I am suspecting that the compilers' symbol table is unable to cope with so many variables.
    That is what I was alluding to.
    If that is the case then one workaround may be to declare a large array, called 'MY_VARS' and then declare the existing program variables to be related to that one as aliases, because the number of aliases seems not to make a difference in the same way that the number of vars do.

Chris,

Accessing your vars in your asm routine without knowing which bank they're in, or handling BSR, is most, if not all, of the problem I suspect.

If all of your vars will fit into 1 bank, just tell PBP to place them all in the same bank, then set BSR to this bank on entry to your int handler.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Chris,

Accessing your vars in your asm routine without knowing which bank they're in, or handling BSR, is most, if not all, of the problem I suspect.

If all of your vars will fit into 1 bank, just tell PBP to place them all in the same bank, then set BSR to this bank on entry to your int handler.
    Thanks Bruce. What i've assumed is that because all of my vars do fit into one bank if i put them at the start of the declarations they will be placed there. The problem with the extra vars is happening whether I place the extra vars before or after my own. it doesn't seem to matter where I put them the fault doesn't go away until I comment out enough of them to get the total number down. But I take your point about using the BSR in the interrupt. I think I have relied too much on PBP and overseen the fact that I still need to obey Microchip's laws !

You could try a really quick test to see if this is the only problem. See if you can force YOUR variables all into bank13.

Change_delay var word[6] BANK13
    Delay_set var word[6] BANK13

rest here.

NOTE: You only need to do this for all variables YOU are accessing directly in your int handler, or some other assembly routines. If you have vars you only access from PBP, don't bother trying to force locations.

Then make the first line in your assembly int routine MOVLB 0XD. You might want to have a look at the .lst file after compiling just to make 100% sure PBP really is placing all your vars in this bank.

If it works, it will be the easy fix. If not, then you're going to need to know where every single one of your variables are located, and select banks accordingly. Or learn how to use some of the PBP macros like CHK?RP.
    Last edited by Bruce; - 24th March 2010 at 18:53.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

The problem with the extra vars is happening whether I place the extra vars before or after my own. it doesn't seem to matter where I put them the fault doesn't go away until I comment out enough of them to get the total number down.
    With 18F's, PBP sorts the list of variables first by type, then alphabetically.
    Arrays are always placed at the end, in the order ... byte arrays, word arrays then Long arrays end up last and will be the first things to end up in a different bank.

It doesn't matter where the variables are place in the code.
    DT

Thanks for the tips and information Bruce, Darrel.

I'm about to take a much needed break but I'll try out the ideas when I returm

Chris

I'm looking at this again now, and wonder what the general opinion is of the following strategy.

1) Make a note of the names of all of my variables which fall into assembly routines

2) Force PBP to locate them all in Bank 13 , for example, myvar1 var byte BANK13

3) At the start of each section of assembler use 'MOVLB 0xD'

Any other advice is welcomed
    Chris

I would go with Bruce's suggestion about Bank 13.
    Dave

I've just tried it and it works, so respect to Bruce.

With regards to the use of PBP Macros mentioned in bruce's message, where is the best place to find information about them, the manual ?

Pleased to be going forward again !
    Chris

I seem to remember Darrel posting about that macro.

You will have to read most of this to get to the good part.
    http://list.picbasic.com/forum/messa...tml?1066601004
    Dave

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.