DC to AC convertor

Closed Thread

Default DC to AC convertor

Hi, I have a 1.5/2W 6V AC motor and i need to run it from 12V DC. I know DC to AC convertors exist but the ones ive seen usually deal with 240V. I can regulate the voltage down to 6V DC but i need a component that will convert the DC to AC. Do simple, small convertors like this exist and are they expensive? Ive already searched but i only found the high power ones.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    Hi, I have a 1.5/2W 6V AC motor and i need to run it from 12V DC. I know DC to AC convertors exist but the ones ive seen usually deal with 240V. I can regulate the voltage down to 6V DC but i need a component that will convert the DC to AC. Do simple, small convertors like this exist and are they expensive? Ive already searched but i only found the high power ones.
    I am pretty sure you could build one. I used to see circuits for these, often in the electronics magazines, used a 12v ct pri and 6v secondary transformer, a couple of transistors . . called it a multivibrator, I think. Base of Q1 took signal from collector of Q2 and vice versa.
    Last edited by Archangel; - 6th February 2010 at 01:14.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

I had an idea involving a 555, transistors and diodes that i think will work. The problem with that method is that i get a square wave instead of the normal AC sine wave. Would that matter to an AC motor?

Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    I had an idea involving a 555, transistors and diodes that i think will work. The problem with that method is that i get a square wave instead of the normal AC sine wave. Would that matter to an AC motor?
    I think motors complain voiceferously to square waves, but a 555 can output various waveforms with a little work, I am pretty sure they brew up function generators using them. http://www.physics.udel.edu/~nowak/p...imer%20lab.pdf
    http://www.simplecircuitdiagram.com/...-using-555-ic/
    Why not use a PIC ? You are already good at them, yes?
    Oh here is a circuit you might glean some use from project 100 watt . . . http://datasheetreference.com/2n3055-datasheet.html
    swap out the transformer for the voltage you want, scale it down, in terms of power used / produced
    Last edited by Archangel; - 6th February 2010 at 01:27.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

I could use a PIC but im not sure why. Wouldnt that just turn things on/off to generate an AC output? That would result in a square wave too.

Thanks for the links. Ill have a read through them.

A 6VAC motor? What frequency does it want?
    Is it really AC only, or is it a "universal" motor that runs on AC or DC? Does it have brushes?

Building a converter to drive it should be easy enough, but I'd be curious to know more about the specifics of the motor first.

steve

Unfortunately i dont know much about the motor. I tried searching google for its number but i didnt find anything useful.

Heres what it says on the label:-
    41TYZ-A synchronous motor
    AC 6V 50/60Hz 1.5/2W
    5r/min Cw/CCw

Ahhh. It's a synchronous motor, so it not only wants AC, but it wants AC at 50/60 Hz and it probably wants at least a modest approximation of a sine wave. A square wave will probably make it unhappy...

Is efficiency a big issue? Gonna plug it into the wall, or run it off a battery?

If efficiency isn't really an issue, then a hardware solution with an op-amp based sinewave generator feeding an audio amplifier type driver is probably easiest.

steve

Im not too bothered about efficiency. It will be run from a mains transformer but the 12V DC needs to be turned on/off using a transistor and the motor will be connected with 64 LEDs (on the DC side). I can use a more powerfull transistor than normal but i dont want it to be using too much current.

Ill have a look for op-amp sinewave circuits. Ive not done much with op-amps before so this is the perfect learning opportunity

Wink Kiss ...

An OPA triangle generator with clamping diodes on the output, plus a bridge audio amp ( TDA2005 i.e ) could produce an acceptable waveform ...

"Sine" generator is not so difficult to build nor ...

don't you think ???

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

Op-amp sine generators are easy to build. A google search will get you lots of hits. Here's a couple of pages to start:

http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/apps/msp/j...000/aug_07.pdf
    http://www.national.com/nationaledge/jun04/article.html

Drive a TDA2005 or similar like Alain suggested and you're done...

steve

That looks easy enough. Ill add the parts to my next order and see how it goes. Thanks