Multiple LEDs and Time Coount

Closed Thread

Default Multiple LEDs and Time Coount

I have two questions both unrelated to eachother.
    First off I am trying to figure out how I would go about doing something like this:

The catch is, I want this to be controled by as few Pins from a 16f684 as I can (1 if possible). Basically it's going to be a percentage indicator, 10 leds, 0-9% = no lights 10-19% is 1st LED, 20-29% is both 1st and 2nd led, etc...

Next question should be simple, I'm wanting to receive input on multiple pins. As they are PWM IR beams, it's all time based.
    Basically, I was thinking:
    Code:
    StartTime, Delay
    StartTime = Now
    Loop
      Delay = Now - StartTime
      StartTime = Now
      If(Pin1 = High) Then Pin1Count += Delay
      If(Pin2 = High) Then Pin2Count += Delay
    End Loop
    Pretty straight forward in any other But as I'm completely green to PicBasic, Is there anything like a counter that would give an accurate relative time count in nanoseconds.
    Also, my other concern is the actual time delay between each of the comparrisions and increments. I haven't done any of the math on this because as I've said, i'm new to the world of microcontroler programming. I've usually done higher level coding. It needs to be accurate to within like, 50ns (it's pretty straight forward, 600ns pulse is 0, 1200ns pulse is 1, separated by a 600ns low)

Anyways, thats the jist of what i'm trying to do, no flaming me please, if im insane simply tell me.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hello LexManos,
    Welcome to the forum !
    We usually don't even flame spammers, only arrogant, unappreciative little turds I will take a swing at the first request. I think I would use a PWM output feeding an LM3914 / LM3915 to control the LEDs, only 1 pin on the PIC.
    Regarding the second request: The ir beams you are decoding, are they constantly on, are they different, does the data on each change,and is there a priority of 1 over any other, or a priority hierarchy? Check out BRUCE's website here: http://www.rentron.com
    Last edited by Archangel; - 22nd July 2009 at 17:58.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    I think I would use a PWM output feeding an LM3914 / LM3915 to control the LEDs, only 1 pin on the PIC.
    Was kinda hoping that i wouldn't need anything to fancy. But, thats not that big of a deal. I can worry about it later, lower on the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    Regarding the second request: The ir beams you are decoding, are they constantly on, are they different, does the data on each change,and is there a priority of 1 over any other, or a priority hierarchy? Check out BRUCE's website here: http://www.rentron.com
    No, they are not always on, the data that would be transfered over them are different. But the format is the same [(byte)ID, (Word) Data] No priority hierarchy they will all be the same.

This is a vary basic setup we built LED hooked up to PORTA5, TSOP4840 data pin hooked up to PORTC1

Code:
    TRISA = %00000000  
    TRISC = %11111111

High PORTA.5

loop:
      if (PORTC.1 = 1) then 
    test:
        LOW PORTA.5
        pause 1000
        high PORTA.5  
        pause 1000
        goto test
      Endif
      goto loop

end
    Pretty obvious what we want it to do to test, but, the LED stays solid, no flashing :/

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=561
    Do not let the thread title fool you, your PIC has analog on PORTC also.
    Try a non analog pin or turn the ADC off and see what happens.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=561
    Do not let the thread title fool you, your PIC has analog on PORTC also.
    Try a non analog pin or turn the ADC off and see what happens.
    Data sheet sec4.1 . . . ANSEL and CMCON registers MUST be initialized to configure an analog channel as a digital input. Pins configured as analog inputs will read "0" .
    You have these registers to contend with:
    ADCON
    ADCON1
    ANSEL
    CMCON0
    CMCON1
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.