Serout question

Closed Thread

Thread: Serout question

Default Serout question

I have a 4x40 LCD from NewHaven. The first line is a header that changes based on a few conditions. The second, third, and fourth row contain time or rpm variables that can be edited by the user.

I have the code working pretty good yet I want to format the variables based on the type of data, meaning time or rpm. With time I want to have X.XXX and rpm X,XXX.

I can parse out the second and thousand rpm values plus the remaining time or RPM. My question is how can I minimize the SEROUTS. Can I write the formatted time/rpm to an Array variable that contains the decimal or comma then SEROUT the array values? Instead of having a bunch of If/Thens that direct the code to a specific SEROUT?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I have a 4x40 LCD from NewHaven. The first line is a header that changes based on a few conditions. The second, third, and fourth row contain time or rpm variables that can be edited by the user.

I have the code working pretty good yet I want to format the variables based on the type of data, meaning time or rpm. With time I want to have X.XXX and rpm X,XXX.

I can parse out the second and thousand rpm values plus the remaining time or RPM. My question is how can I minimize the SEROUTS. Can I write the formatted time/rpm to an Array variable that contains the decimal or comma then SEROUT the array values? Instead of having a bunch of If/Thens that direct the code to a specific SEROUT?
    serout portb.0,t2400,[$FE,2,"time is",MyVar.0,":",MyVar.1,":",MyVar.2] or something to that effect
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

You can easily store a single character (comma or decimal point) in a byte variable.

Code:
    IF type = rpm THEN
        delimiter = ","
        value = rpmvalue
    ELSE
        delimiter = "."
        value = timevalue
    ENDIF

DEBUG  DEC (value/1000), delimiter, DEC3 value
    Charles Leo
    microEngineering Labs, Inc.
    http://melabs.com