16f88 - timing-critical function for serial comm

Closed Thread

Default 16f88 - timing-critical function for serial comm

I read on this lise that PICs have a "crappy" internal oscillator in regards to doing timing-critical functions such as serial communications.

so what is a good replacement part for the internal oscillator on a 16f88?

A three pin resonator works very well for external OSC.
    But..
    Microchip is claiming the internal on the 16F88 IS good enough for serial. So far I have to agree with them on this part. Other parts are not very good though...
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

rdxbam, you have heard correctly. "Some" of the time, the intosc will work (which is fine for hobbyists), but you cannot count on it--especially at higher speeds. M'chips spec is that they calibrate it within 1%, but my experience is to the contrary--I use enough of them to know they are regularly 3% or more out of spec, and I have seen them as bad as 6% off.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaja View Post
    rdxbam, you have heard correctly. "Some" of the time, the intosc will work (which is fine for hobbyists), but you cannot count on it--especially at higher speeds. M'chips spec is that they calibrate it within 1%, but my experience is to the contrary--I use enough of them to know they are regularly 3% or more out of spec, and I have seen them as bad as 6% off.
    Normally I would agree, but MicroChip seems to have done something different with this chip.
    From the F88 data sheet.
    Addressable Universal Synchronous
    Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter
    (AUSART/SCI) with 9-bit address detection:
    - RS-232 operation using internal oscillator
    (no external crystal required)
    Like I said before, seems like they are correct. No mention of 1% +-.

Oh, and why do you think the hobby project does not have to work all of the time?
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

For this particular part, DS section on Electrical Characteristics 18.3 says +/- 1% typical, but as bad as +/-2 Max. I believe some of the DS's say 1% in the text of the Internal Oscillator Block section (4.5 for this one), but this particular one does not.

Hobbyists can deal with manually tuning OSCTUNE, since they are dealing with a few parts here and there, and most of the time it doesn't matter. That's not quite the same as a production environment, when all of them have to work, no matter what, and there are hundreds every day. As a hobbyist, I can throw one out (or put it in a different project) or manually tune it myself. As a manufacturer, I want less than 1% scrap, without manually tuning them. Unfortunately, M'chip does not consistently meet their spec in this regard.

I would add: you are not likely to sue yourself if failure occurs. The public ? Oh yea!
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Thanks all...and a 20MHz 3-pin resonator it will be.

Thanks again for the education!