PDA

View Full Version : cutting copper board

bartman
- 2nd December 2004, 14:59
What is the easiest way to make a nice, clean cut on 1/32" copper board one sided?

I'm about to start making my boards for my little project and really don't want to screw up cutting them out since the price of the boards is rather steep. I'll be cutting 9 smaller boards from a larger one so a lot of cutting and/or breaking and ruining if i'm not careful.

Any advise/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bart

mister_e
- 2nd December 2004, 18:10
hi bart,
you can use those paper trimmer you can buy for cheap at STAPLES ... this is what i use often...never cut paper after that :)

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_results.asp?txtSearch=cutter

or use a simple metal saw.

bartman
- 2nd December 2004, 22:04
A paper trimmer. Like a razor blade type of thing? This actually cuts and doesn't create cracks or breaks the board?

I've tried a hacksaw in the past with terrible results. Broke the board.

Bart

mister_e
- 2nd December 2004, 23:17
A paper trimmer. Like a razor blade type of thing?

no, like this one
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=,&webid=434777&affixedcode=WW

it's a bit hard to cut with this, but gives good results. A bit of sanding and everything work.

cupajoe
- 3rd December 2004, 01:15
I have used a dremel tool (high speed rotary tool) with an abrasive cutting disc. Some care needs to be used as an abrasive disc can burn the board if left in one place too long. Also you need a steady hand.

I have also used a scroll saw. This also works well.

Do not use a roto zip type tool! This proved to course and hard to control.

I have never tried a paper cutter. I will give it a try next time I have the chance.

Regards,

Joe Kupcha

bbarney
- 3rd December 2004, 02:18
I use tin snips,work's really good on 1/32 board like cuuting paper

bartman
- 3rd December 2004, 04:43
Steve - That ain't so cheap!

Tin snips. I have a decent pair at work. Like paper you say??

Bart

mister_e
- 3rd December 2004, 08:54
like paper on 1/32 boards... maybe, but be carefull on others type... take care of the edges or on the way you PCB is design. ¸

depending of your budget... i buy mine paper trimer for about 30$ and it still do good job. i add sander/buffer to correct trimmer cuts... less than 100$ for the whole stuff... working for awhile...

still doing good job for me, more than hundreds board a month since i buy this trimmer... still alive without any problems

regards

bartman
- 3rd December 2004, 14:54
The paper chopper probably does work good. If I do more projects it might be worthwhile to invest in one, but not for now.

I might try the tin-snips idea. I'm a little scared of that since the boards seem so brittle in the first place.

Bart

mister_e
- 3rd December 2004, 21:29
cut around 1/2 to 1 inches from each edges, than use soft grinder or sander to trim it closer.

bbarney
- 3rd December 2004, 23:10
I use aircraft snips,there just longer than regular snip's.
they have 10" blade and you can cut it to the exact size on 1/32 board.it's a little harder cutting 1/16 0r double sided but that's the best and cheapest way i've found

bartman
- 4th December 2004, 03:10
I'll take the plunge and try the snips. The cutting and grinding/sanding is far too labor intensive for me. Call me lazy if you want! :-)

Bart

bbarney
- 4th December 2004, 12:26
I bought those snips a canadian tire Bartman,I think they cost me $16 bucks

bobthebud
- 8th December 2004, 09:33
If you are cutting straight lines.
Mark off with a pencil on both sides, then using a craft knife with a fairly strong blade score the board along both sides(use a metal rule for a guide). Then snap along the scored line, a quick buff down with a small file or some emery. Quick easy and cheap, this has worked for me for the past thirtysomething years. Just watch your fingers with the knife.

bartman
- 8th December 2004, 14:42
Well they are straight lines so the score and snap might work good. I haven't purchased anything yet for cutting so it's worth a try.

Thanks.

Bart

bbarney
- 10th December 2004, 00:10
i use too cut my board that way until i tried the snips.I guess you have to try it for yourself..but i don't think you'll cut your fingers off with the snips :)

toalan
- 12th January 2005, 01:13
The paper chopper works well, I used 1 at work when no one was looking and it made a perfect cut. But I am sure it would dull the blade pretty quickly. Hack saw works, but looks like crap and is pretty taxing. I have used gardening shears and they just suck, it tends to spilt the board in all directions except in a straight line.

Normnet
- 13th January 2005, 00:47
Try fastening PC board in vice to score and snap.

bartman
- 13th January 2005, 05:46
I've been doing the score and snap method with the 1/32" boards as well as the snips and both work. The snips makes the cleanest cut, but a little sanding of the edges pretty much takes are of any that aren't perfect.

The paper cutter would be the best, but I don't want to buy one just for a few boards.

Bart

Ron Marcus
- 8th February 2005, 19:38
Short of a sheet metal break, the best thing I have used is a Dremel reenforced cut off disc. It must be chucked in a drill press, and I use an "L" shaped piece of Aluminum as a backstop. Just set the table so the pc board is vertically at the right height, and run the board through standing up. It creates a clean edge and little waste. Just don't breathe the dust, it is very irritating!

toalan
- 12th February 2005, 00:34
I just experimented with the dremel the other day, the amount of dust it creates is nuts and the burnt smell is awful and stays in the air for a long time.

languer
- 12th February 2005, 01:34
I am forced to comment on the Dremel technique.

You guys do realize that the FR4 PWBs are woven glass. Glass being the key word. When you inhale this dust you are effectively inhaling particles of this glass.

That "irritation" you feel guess what it is?!?

This is in case some of you were not aware of this.

Luciano
- 12th February 2005, 10:48
For the next time you use your Dremel tool.

http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html

1. Don't tell your wife/husband what you are about to do.
2. Send the children to the movie theatre.
3. Give a bone to the dog.
4. Open the window. (Not MS-Windows).
5. Wear protective glasses, dust mask and protective gloves.
6. Put the vacuum cleaner hose next to the cutting point.
7. Turn the vacuum and the Dremel on.
(The vacuum noise will cover the Dremel noise. She/he will
think you are finally cleaning "that" mess and she/he will
not disturb you in any case).
8. Do the job.
9. Turn the Dremel and the vacuum off. (See step 7 about noise).
10. Remove the protective glasses, dust mask and protective gloves.
11. Ask your wife/husband where are the replacement vacuum cleaner bags.
(She/he will think the cleaning job is not completed).
12. Forget about the vacuum cleaner, go back to your serious work.

Important items:

- Protective glasses.
- Protective dust mask.
- Protective gloves.

Luciano

(Happily married).

Squibcakes
- 23rd February 2005, 06:09
1. Use a ruler and score a deep grove - both sides.
2. Place pcb in vice and line up on the score mark.
3. Snap it!

4. Sand back edge.

Acetronics2
- 23rd February 2005, 08:09
For small PCBs < 4 " I simply use a strong pair of "metal sheets scissors" ...

neat cut.

Alain

toalan
- 24th February 2005, 03:47
metal shear cutters are horibble, they do not cut anything, rather they crack the pcb in a direction that only slightly resembles a straight line. only usefull if you are using it to trim off excess pcb.

Acetronics2
- 24th February 2005, 07:02
So, we don't use the same tools ...
Alain

bartman
- 24th February 2005, 23:38
I ended up using the score and snap method for some and the tin snips for the others. Worked fine. The paper cutter would have been easier yet.

Bart

Archangel
- 22nd August 2011, 12:26
Best way, use a jump shear, second to that any manner of sheet metal shear, notching punch. Sawing and grinding is too hazardous to YOU and family. Second to that score and break and wet sand the rough edge. If you insist on grinding, routing this stuff, go on a still hunt for a brake vacuum made to collect asbestos. FR4 is just as bad.

Ioannis
- 24th August 2011, 15:34
For cutting I use this:

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/27006.php (It has a rubber part to connect your vacum cleaner)

And then for drilling this:

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28128.php

Ioannis

ScaleRobotics
- 24th August 2011, 16:23
I just saw this video yesterday on cutting Basic Stamps. Never thought of cutting this way:

http://www.youtube.com/parallaxinc#p/a/u/1/o5Vc4NVo7lY

gadelhas
- 24th August 2011, 17:17
For cutting I use this:

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/27006.php (It has a rubber part to connect your vacum cleaner)

And then for drilling this:

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28128.php

Ioannis

X2, and very satisfied