PDA

View Full Version : High visibility LCD

PICy
- 30th November 2004, 20:55
Hello.

I have never used an LCD in any designs yet, and was looking for some help before i buy an LCD module for a project.

Basically the text (numbers) will need to be read from up to 2-3 feet away, outside (i.e. possibly sunny). I am thinking that it will need to be backlit, and have decent thickness characters.

Cost is a major issue too :-(

Is this realistic? What should i look out for? Also, does anyone have preffered suppliers they could give me (ship to UK)?

Thanks for any info!

Dwayne
- 30th November 2004, 21:59
Is this realistic? What should i look out for? Also, does anyone have preffered suppliers they could give me

Allelectronics.com has a LOT of LCD.s make sure you read the feedback comments. There is one LCD that comes with strap... runs about 12 US dollars, but the current draw is REALLY high. I can't remember, but I seem to remember something like 370MILs of current to run it. that means your 7805 MUST have a heat sink, or burn it up... But at the same time, this LCD is WONDERFUL LCD for ability to see during the day or night. (Most LCD's that I know of only draw about 5 to 7 mills..or somewhere around that area...

Dwayne

Ingvar
- 1st December 2004, 02:52
It's usually better to use LED displays if you want good visibility and big characters at a reasonable low cost. There are LED displays with 16(or is it 14) segments, they can also show text. Perhaps something to think about?

/Ingvar

obewan
- 1st December 2004, 16:10
Check cpc.co.uk they do a pled lcd display(i think thats its name)
This has illuminated characters on a dark background,its not cheap,but is high visability.

NavMicroSystems
- 9th December 2004, 00:28
There is one thing I would like to mention with regards to PLED:

The typical lifetime of a PLED Display (always on) is only 10.000 to 15.000 hours.

Means a "ScreenSaver" is an absolute must.

and PLEDS are currently at least 3 times the price of a comparable backlit LCD.

Regards

Ralph