PDA

View Full Version : Selling in the UK

Harp
- 6th October 2003, 17:29
Hi everyone,

I have been asked to design and make a small interface which will use a PIC to convert protocols. It is likely to be a one off project keeping me in beer money for a week or 2 (No I am not a heavy drinker).

As a one man (person - sorry Melanie!) band what approvals if any would be needed to sell this in the UK?

Thanks,
Harp

Melanie
- 6th October 2003, 19:13
As long as any claims you make about the product are true, just sell it. If you're going to connect to the mains or the National Grid to power it, make sure it's safe. If you're going to put a CE mark on it, make sure you can prove your compilance when your competitors complain to Trading Standards and make trouble for you. Sell and be damned - making sure your product liability insurance is paid up if it's likely to hurt someone or burn their business, house or car down if it malfunctions.

Harp
- 6th October 2003, 19:32
Thanks Melanie,

It is a simple circuit powered from an existing 12volt supply. It will be fused at 1 amp.

Thanks for the tips.

Harp

G8RPI
- 8th March 2004, 12:54
Hi Harp,
I hate to contradict Melanie, but she is inviting you to break the law. It is illegal to sell or put into use (in the EU) a product that is not CE marked. This has been the death of many small products.
In theory you cannot even make something for your own use without CE marking it! this is plainly un-enforcable (especially as in the UK the enforcement agency is trading standards).
However if you sell your product you should comply. There are a couple of options to avoid lots of expensive tests. One is to self-certify. as long as you think it will not cause any problems, Build up a technical construction file saying why it complies, stick a CE mark on the unit, the file on the shelf and hope for the best.
If nothing goes wrong or no one complains (most likely your competion or possibly someone suffering from interference), the file will never be checked. Unlike Australia you don't have to tell anyone that you've marked a product so spot checks are impossible. The only othe way you might get caught out is if an insurance inspector spots something (this is getting more common but is only going to happen for obvious non-compliance)
The other way out is to sell a "component" not a product and let the person who is incorporating into a product worry about compliance.
All above said there are lots of people selling non CE marked products and getting away with it. As usual its the law abiding that get hit hardest and the "fly-by-nights" get away with it.
WEEE will be the same.

Robert G8RPI.

Harp
- 8th March 2004, 16:14
Thanks for your reply. My own suspicions and concerns were exactly what you have covered in your reply. In the end the interface was not critical or life threatening and part of a larger system being installed so I went for the beer money.

Since then I have had some satisfaction in knowing that the main system (a complex security system) developed a fault that went unnoticed. My interface worked as it should resulting in the thieves being caught loading their van with £20,000 worth of kit.

How much beer money did I charge for the interface £30 !!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies,
Harp

Melanie
- 8th March 2004, 18:50
There are so many exemptions to CE marking (eg for products containing Relays or Contactors to name but two), that you can sell quite happilly - it all depends on your target market. However my point was IF you put a CE mark on it, it must comply with whatever you claim it will comply with. Another example to circumvent expensive testing is to pick a regulation you know your product will conform to, omitting to test for others to know will fail. As long as it passes SOMETHING, and you state what that something is on your certification, it qualifies for a CE mark. Totally shambolic waste of time, but then again that's the EC for you.

G8RPI
- 9th March 2004, 12:22
Hi Melanie,
I don't agree, Any product sold (or "put into use") MUST be CE marked, and putting a CE mark on a product means it must comply with ALL relevant standards. For PIC based devices this means EMC at the very least and possibly Low Voltage.
I'm not sure were the "Relay or Contactor" exemption comes in. A product containg ONLY relays or contactors may not have ot comply with EMC, but this is a debateable point as impulse noise is a problem. However the product must still be marked (and a record kept of why it was considered exempt) and depending on the operating voltage and application it may well have to comply with the Low Voltage and/or Machinery Directives.
The products we build have to comply with EMC, LVD and Machinery. In theroy if you build a PIC based electronic dice for your kids it should be marked and comply with EMC and the Toy directives! There are very few real exclusions to CE marking. Equipment for cars does not have to be CE marked, but since last year has to be "e" marked, even more difficult.
Fortunatly I can take advantage of one of the few execptions for my own equipment, as the holder of a full amateur radio licence I do not have to comply with CE marking for non comercial items.

Robert G8RPI.