View Full Version : Usb Programmer ?

iugmoh
- 20th April 2008, 14:42
Hi all,
After I have done these projects using USB :
1- USB MOUSE
2- USB KEYBOARD
3- USB TO COM CONVERTER

I need your help in how to make a programmer using USB such as I can programm many IC's of microchip using this programmer, thanks for any helping.

mister_e
- 20th April 2008, 15:14
You don't want to do that... PICKIT 2 is ~40$ and give tons of nice features. Have a look at the PICKIT 2 page.

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en023805

Hey for that money you can also use it as a logic analyser AND as a debugger in MPLAB for some PIC models.... not that bad huh?

It's available worldwide, well supported, device list is always growing, you can also program some EEPROMs and Keeloq as well.

If you still want to build it... well, the schematic, the firmware AND the PC application source code is available.

There's also a Kit called JuneBug. It's mostly a PICKIT 2 (without it's EEPROMs, so you can't use the Programmer-To-Go feature unless you add them to) BUT it's also a nifty developpement board.

http://www.blueroomelectronics.com/Junebug.htm

Knowing Microchip build their stuff... they know HOW to program them. And they will still be there for awhile.

It really no longer worth to build your own now, unless you buy a kit based on something well known as PICKIT 2 like this Junebug i'd suggested.

iugmoh
- 20th April 2008, 18:24
thanks mister_e for your reply and I will begin to build the PICKIT 2 schematic
but may I need your help again in any section

mister_e
- 20th April 2008, 19:10
As i said often... give yourself a really small 10$/Hour and count the amount of time you'll need to build it from scratch. You'll discover really fast that your hand-made one would worth 'round twice, even more depending your skills, the price of a already-made one. And guess what.. if you have a problem, you could says it's not your fault :D

I agree it might be fun to build though ;)