PDA

View Full Version : Need ISP circuit

cooqo
- 16th April 2008, 03:40
Demand for some ISP circit ,simple ,easy implement ,contain the 74LV244 is the best.

mister_e
- 16th April 2008, 06:02
I don't know what ISP mean for you
Internet Service Provider?
In Circuit Serial Programming?

If it's for PIC and you need to real cheap ISP programmer... then you're out of luck... none of them seems to work these days. However... if you still want to build your own... then Google search... p16pro40, JDM, El Cheapo, Taits, Tafe should be more than enough to begin... and waste some hair.

Maybe this one too
http://www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/pic-programmer-circuit.html

Which is based on a Microchip Application note (AN589)

Better option, ~ $40 USD ... PICKIT 2
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en023805
<hr>
I see English is not your main language, don't worry not me either, when you ask a question to a forum, it's important you provide all details and explanation of your problem... more details you provide, better your chance are to have an answer.

If you have some problem to explain it... well... just do your best, we will try to understand.

Welcome anyways ;)

ardhuru
- 16th April 2008, 18:05
If it's for PIC and you need to real cheap ISP programmer... then you're out of luck... none of them seems to work these days. However... if you still want to build your own... then Google search... p16pro40, JDM, El Cheapo, Taits, Tafe should be more than enough to begin... and waste some hair.

I think its wrong to generalize with the above list; I agree the JDMs (and variants) are not very reliable, to say the least; not to mention the Vpp-before-Vdd issues. However, I have had excellent results with parallel port based programmer(s). I have a generic one that works great, as also an original Epic that with a slight modification, has been working wonderfully. So much so that I have never (till now, at least) been tempted to switch over to a USB programmer.

Regards,

Anand

skimask
- 16th April 2008, 18:21
However, I have had excellent results with parallel port based programmer(s).
How many parallel ports does the average PC have these days?
Especially a PC owned by an up-and-coming youngster who's aim is to build the next greatest thing?

So much so that I have never (till now, at least) been tempted to switch over to a USB programmer.
Have you tried the PICKIT2? Especially with its latest software/firmware update which includes that handy little logic analyzer?
I can almost guarantee 100% you'll like it far, FAR better than you think...

mister_e
- 16th April 2008, 19:41
Everybody have their own opinions. I'm not going to contradict ANYBODY here.

Here's my 2 cents point of view.

You always got for what you pay for. This has to be true in many cases. See, JDM or else "freebies" using WinpicProg, PONY, IC-PROG or whatever else Free one. Damn all free software, single developer or so. 1 new PIC almost each days/week. They can't follow the evolution huh? Well unless it's developer is retired and do it all the time. I heard that few people MUST switch between xyz software to program a specific PIC... waste of time to me. But agreed... the software is free.. and the programmer can be built with scavenged PC, boards or whatsoever else. Cost 0$ or so.

Yes i heard some free parallel programmer work better than serial... reason is obvious... timing. JDM or else low-count part one might never ever work on XP... VISTA? Fine if you still have an old Win98, it ought to work.

What happen if you have issue? How much time you took to build your programmer? How much time you wasted to answer question why it doesn't work? How much time you waste because you wanted a solution NOW? I will assume at very **** least 3-4 hours or so. Give yourself 10$/hour (which is really ridiculous anyways) this mean you lost 30-40$ for something that doesn't really work.

For almost the same price, you buy a PICKIT 2 (or JuneBug) which is made by the one who BUILD PIC... so at least they know how to program them, they're not alone to develop the according firmware/software, and they will still be there tomorrow, next week, next year to support it + they will answer to ANY question 7/7 24/24.. how about your freebies?

As if it wasn't enough for $40 bucks, they'd dare to add EEPROMS, KeeLoq, ICD, Logic Analyser (generator... kind of), Rs232 terminal (without any need for a Max232), AND MORE it's also programmer-to-go (program your PIC without any PC).

I'd spend thousandS dollars on PIC programmer/development board 'till now. YES i NEVER used ANY freebies. My first was PICSTART (with PUM), then BK Precision 844a, then ICD-2 (used 3-4 times), then PICKIT 2, then Mikroe Dev boards (EasyPIC 4, EasyDsPIC 4) and then few others i don't remind their name for Blackfin. NONE of those had let me down 'till now... WHY because you got for what you pay for!

On the other side... PICKIT 2 is so cheap... BUT it support a wide range of their products.. from EEPROMs, Keeloq, PIC10f to PIC32... kinda attractive... way to go when you want to promote your products!

cooqo
- 17th April 2008, 03:38
thanks for your advise

leisryan
- 5th September 2008, 02:21
Everybody have their own opinions. I'm not going to contradict ANYBODY here.

Here's my 2 cents point of view.

You always got for what you pay for. This has to be true in many cases. See, JDM or else "freebies" using WinpicProg, PONY, IC-PROG or whatever else Free one. Damn all free software, single developer or so. 1 new PIC almost each days/week. They can't follow the evolution huh? Well unless it's developer is retired and do it all the time. I heard that few people MUST switch between xyz software to program a specific PIC... waste of time to me. But agreed... the software is free.. and the programmer can be built with scavenged PC, boards or whatsoever else. Cost 0$ or so.

Yes i heard some free parallel programmer work better than serial... reason is obvious... timing. JDM or else low-count part one might never ever work on XP... VISTA? Fine if you still have an old Win98, it ought to work.

What happen if you have issue? How much time you took to build your programmer? How much time you wasted to answer question why it doesn't work? How much time you waste because you wanted a solution NOW? I will assume at very **** least 3-4 hours or so. Give yourself 10$/hour (which is really ridiculous anyways) this mean you lost 30-40$ for something that doesn't really work.

For almost the same price, you buy a PICKIT 2 (or JuneBug) which is made by the one who BUILD PIC... so at least they know how to program them, they're not alone to develop the according firmware/software, and they will still be there tomorrow, next week, next year to support it + they will answer to ANY question 7/7 24/24.. how about your freebies?

As if it wasn't enough for $40 bucks, they'd dare to add EEPROMS, KeeLoq, ICD, Logic Analyser (generator... kind of), Rs232 terminal (without any need for a Max232), AND MORE it's also programmer-to-go (program your PIC without any PC).

I'd spend thousandS dollars on PIC programmer/development board 'till now. YES i NEVER used ANY freebies. My first was PICSTART (with PUM), then BK Precision 844a, then ICD-2 (used 3-4 times), then PICKIT 2, then Mikroe Dev boards (EasyPIC 4, EasyDsPIC 4) and then few others i don't remind their name for Blackfin. NONE of those had let me down 'till now... WHY because you got for what you pay for!

On the other side... PICKIT 2 is so cheap... BUT it support a wide range of their products.. from EEPROMs, Keeloq, PIC10f to PIC32... kinda attractive... way to go when you want to promote your products!

Sir:
I'd like to know if you have had any experience or ever come across with ARM architecture how does it compare to blackfin?