PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 bit OS Compiling

skorp
- 16th March 2008, 23:30
I been learning how to program PICs such as the P16F84A in school lately and been really enjoying it. We have Windows XP and use CDlite and PBC 1.45 currently and the software works fine.

I wanted to expand and decided to purchase what I needed to learn away from school since this is my final semester. I bought the Melabs U2 Programmer and am using PicBasic Compiler. Problem is I use Vista 64 bit at home. The programmer works fine and can read and write to the PICs. I just cannot compile with the current version of PicBasic. I get compatiablity error and am asked to get a 64 bit version. I have tried different compatiability modes but I don't think that will help since its 16bit.

Anyone know of a work-a-round other than installing WinXP? Is there a newer version of a PIC compiler out there? Also looking to set up assembly and C++ compiling too.

mackrackit
- 17th March 2008, 01:56
Try MPLAB for an IDE. I think it will work for you.
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002
Then set up PBC as the language suite.
http://www.microengineeringlabs.com/support/mplab.htm
Not sure if the above step is necessary with the latest MPLAB.

skorp
- 25th March 2008, 15:30
I am unable to get PBC to show up in the lanuage suite. I have tried registering it and running the PBC patch but I don't think it will support the OS. Looks like the assembler will work fine.

mister_e
- 25th March 2008, 15:36
Well, i don't have and i don't want Vista for now, but i would suggest you to contact Melabs Tech-Support. Sure they know something about that.

[email protected]

EDIT:

Next, download the following plugins zip file and extract its contents into your PBP installation folder. The path is usually "C:\PBP". Once extracted, run the file "PBregister.bat" (Start - Run - C:\PBP\PBregister.bat). (WINDOWS VISTA users may need to right-click the bat file in My Computer or Windows Explorer and select "Run As Administrator".

Restart MPLAB for the changes to take effect.

skorp
- 25th March 2008, 20:38
Sent an email to them asking for a solution. Hopefully they don't say "Get another OS" ;)

If they send me a response, I will post it here.

mister_e
- 25th March 2008, 20:43
Dear Vista... i'll have no chance really soon to buy it to test some of my new software. It's just because i have no other choices... might be safer if i buy Vista32 and Vista64 just in case of... dear MicroBarf

http://www.mister-e.org/Pics/CamisoleDeForce.gif

skorp
- 26th March 2008, 01:37
Well I got a response fairly quick.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008, 1:36:52 PM, you wrote: > I am currently using a system with Vista 64 bit on it and trying to use MPLAB IDE and the Pic Basic Compiler. Currently none of my IDEs will compiler with PBC since it is not compatible with any 64 bit OS. Is there a patch or work-a-around for this? Currently assembler and other compilers work fine.

Their response:

Hello,

Not for PBC.
We have had reports that PBP works underWin64.

Thank you,

microEngineering Labs, Inc.

Looks like only Pro version will work with it then. Glad I can program in other lanuages then :)

japaro
- 26th March 2008, 04:18
Vista 64 enforces driver signing. If you need to disable it, at boot time when windows starts, press F8. This will start the boot options menu. In addition to safe modes and last known versions you will find, disable driver signing enforcement. This will allow you to run any programs that don't have signed drivers.

Hopefully that works for you.

Jon
KR1SIS

skorp
- 8th April 2008, 18:28
I have tried disabling the driver signing but that didn't do anything. I think its the picbasic compiler itself. Thanks anyways.

sayzer
- 8th April 2008, 20:31
I have tried disabling the driver signing but that didn't do anything. I think its the picbasic compiler itself. Thanks anyways.

Another solution:

Pay US$100 and buy an old system like PIII-800; if it does not come with an OS then set it up with Win98. This way you own a dedicated compiler machine.

You will have a smile on your face every time you program a PIC with that machine.

pnfreer
- 21st July 2008, 04:23
Simply use "ReadyDriver Plus", this tool automates pressing F8 and selecting "Disable Driver Signature Enforcment" during boto in Vista, a perfect solution.

http://citadel.x10hosting.com/readydriverplus/index.php

I tested this using files provided by "Lester Wilson" from crownhill as below:

http://www.picbasic.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2127&d=1190881109

A simple temp solution untill somone can be bothered to sign the drivers, which i must add is not exactly the most complicated of tasks:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/44461-finally-found-way-get-unsigned-drivers-running-vista-x64.html

Paul Freer
PF Technology Ltd
Leicester, UK

pnfreer
- 21st July 2008, 05:19
I can confirm that I have PDS and the SparKey dongle DO WORK on Vista x64

For the following files listed below; SET Properties > Compatibility > Privilege Level > “Run this program as an administrator”.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Crownhill\PDS\APP.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Crownhill\PDS\OPT.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Crownhill\PDS\PR_PLUS.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Crownhill\PDS\PR_PLUS_MPLAB.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE\ProtonIDE.exe

Ensure your dongle is enabled and working in device manager; following the details given in last post. P.S. You should have “sparkey.inf” in “C:\Windows\inf” AND “sparkey.sys” in “C:\Windows\System32\drivers”.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(2TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Anyway what am I doing up at 4pm on a Sunday trying to fix this silly problem, nite!!

Hail All

PF Technology Ltd
51 Fairefield Crescent
Glenfield
Leicester
LE3 8EJ

skorp
- 22nd July 2008, 02:28
Thanks for the responses, but not too worried bout it for now. I got basic pro, c++, and asm working fine.

AndrewC
- 1st August 2008, 22:19
So my solution is to simply run my old non vista64 compatible software inside a Windows virtual PC running WinXP. Only hassle is that the Virtual PC doesn't support USB but you can easily get around that by running the Melabs programmer in vista64 and loading files from a shared directory inside the Virtual PC.

bluesmoke
- 28th July 2009, 21:18
I felt that this old post needs to be updated since it ranks really high in Google searches. (This solution is not mine and has been previously posted elsewhere)

** Yes, you can compile with Vista x64 **

Install:

Picbasic Pro
MPLab IDE (free)
MicroCode Studio (free)

then

In MicroCode Studio: click on View, select Compile and Program Option, select Assembler, check 'use MPASM' box.

Key words: incompatible with 64-bit version, unsupported 16-bit application