PDA

View Full Version : Serial Byte Format

mbruno
- 7th February 2008, 13:27
Before I get to far along in my next project, I need a little information on Data Byte formats,
I am looking to interface with my Yaesu FT920 Transcever, Under the data protocal the format is one start bit 8 data bits no parity and (two stop bits). Is the two stop bits going to give me problems or is the second stop bit just ignored.. I need to use 4800 n 8 2 as the baud rated and bits.. Any help would be appricated

Mike Bruno

paul borgmeier
- 7th February 2008, 14:12
Receiving data on the PIC with 2 stop bits will not be a problem because only one is required (and the others ignored as you suggested)

Sending data from the pic, you will need to insert a 208 uS Pause after each byte you send to facilitate the second stop bit. (Alternatively, you can use 9 bit mode and make the 9th bit always equal to a stop bit)

mbruno
- 7th February 2008, 15:27
Thanks Paul for the information, I just was not sure about the second stop bit, and the FT920 data information has a optcode to pace bits if I want and the suggest a 200 uSec pace between bytes of data sent out to the interface.. I think it should be able to handle that I will be using a 16f876 at 20mhz

Thanks again ( this forum makes life easer!!!)
Mike