PDA

View Full Version : PIC to AC 220 V switch

boban
- 16th December 2007, 21:02
Hello, maybe stupid, but anyone has an idea, how to cheap and simply drive the AC swith - 220 VAC? I am using relay but maybe there is a simplier and cheaper way using triac or something like this? Thanks for the response...

mister_e
- 16th December 2007, 21:13
Triac and optocoupler do the job.

boban
- 20th December 2007, 14:30
Thanks do you have some suggestion schematics?

mister_e
- 20th December 2007, 17:50
we don't know your current requirement and current schematic, but let's say you interface a PIC to a Triac, i would suggest you to use an optocoupler in between. Something like MOC3011, MOC3022, or whatever else with triac output. OPen it's datasheet and you'll find some basic schematic in.

T.Jackson
- 21st December 2007, 02:23
Don't forget the snubber circuit.

mister_e
- 21st December 2007, 06:45
Yes if you drive inductive and you don't use Snuberless Triac ;)

billpoul
- 24th January 2008, 21:13
go to www.mouser.com

Take a look at this part no. G3NE-210T-US-DC5

There are a whole series of optically isolated solid state relays that can do the job directly from the output of a pic.

This one takes about 20ma of drive at 5v and can safely switch 220VAC at 5 amps. It cost about $12

boban
- 1st April 2008, 18:37
12$ it is quite expensive in comparison with relay, which cost 1 - 2 $.

skimask
- 1st April 2008, 18:54
12$ it is quite expensive in comparison with relay, which cost 1 - 2 $.

A bit overly complicated, not to mention more expensive than your option, but does provide almost perfect isolation..........
I took a PIC, a servo, and a standard household light switch....
Drilled a hole thru the light switch 'handle', connected it to the servo with a length of plastic, connected the servo to the PIC, wrote some software to poll a serial input, and run the servo as required.
Again, not cheap, but does allow for a 3-5v signal to switch a high voltage at a current only limited by the switch itself. And I stored the latest switch position in eeprom in case the PIC reset itself for some odd reason...
Small battery pack of AAA's, small wall wart style for charging the battery pack, very low current charging, blah blah blah...
At any rate, works like a champ.

malc-c
- 3rd April 2008, 19:38
Solid state relay works well - and can be had for around £2 a pop off flea-bay.

I used 8 in a disco light project a year or so ago, and you can drive them direct from post PICs. The ones I used are rated at 4 Amps at 240 V, and were PCB mounted, and coped with switching 200w of spot lights with ease